• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush info, 1st time going.

evil

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
Hi all, Was looking into spending a week in Sugarbush this year, finally.
Wanted to know what everyone thought of the tree's there since this is mostly what me and the lady are interested in.
We were also interested in the Slide Brook guided tour but, given the experience in BC that we both have, were worried that it was just a tourist trap, has anyone done this before? The price (even with tip) is pretty reasonable.
What month does Sugarbush usually shine?
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom and looking foreword to enjoying what we have heard is a beautiful and amazing mountain.
Cheers,
E

I'd recommend late February and March for your best chance of good coverage for backcountry skiing..I've never skied in Slidebrook but I'm sure others will fill you in. Do you have an alpine touring setup with skins?

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Last edited:

evil

Brooklyn and http://ericvogelphoto.com/main.php
I'd recommend late February and March for your best chance of good coverage for backcountry skiing..I've never skied in Slidebrook but I'm sure others will fill you in. Do you have an alpine touring setup with skins?

I do have a touring setup but would prefer to pop in and pop out on alpines or board (whatever I grab in the morning).

kcyanks1

Hi all, Was looking into spending a week in Sugarbush this year, finally.
Wanted to know what everyone thought of the tree's there since this is mostly what me and the lady are interested in.
We were also interested in the Slide Brook guided tour but, given the experience in BC that we both have, were worried that it was just a tourist trap, has anyone done this before? The price (even with tip) is pretty reasonable.
What month does Sugarbush usually shine?
Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom and looking foreword to enjoying what we have heard is a beautiful and amazing mountain.
Cheers,
E

Trees are very good. If you poke around you'll see various options off the trails.

I did the Slide Brook tour and thought it was worth it, but I do not have extensive back-country experience (I ski off resort trails in the woods, but that's not backcountry). They take you on a well-skied route, but you won't get lost and you'll know at least one way to go on yourself on another occasion. Unless you have the navigation tools to find your own way, I'd recommend the tour your first time in there.

As for when to go, March is probably the best, because you have the base from Dec-Feb and still a good chance at some new snow.

WWF-VT

Tough to tell the timing of the best conditions but mid-February through mid-March are usually a safe bet.

Slidebrook is worth the trip with a guide to learn a few route options. A lift drops you off near the entrance on the Lincoln Peak side and the shuttle takes you back to LP or Mt Ellen. There are multiple marked glades at LP and Mt Ellen and many more "off the map" woods options. Sugarbush has a fairly liberal tree skiing policy - enter from a marked trail and exit to a marked trail.