• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

best way to attack SB

SKIQUATTRO

Heading up in Feb with the wife...we both love steep, ungroomed, trees and open terrain..this will be my 3rd trip up but i was with a buddy in spring conditions and we were just bombing...we'll be skiing Sat and Sunday (unless its great snow and we might hit mrg one day)

We like first tracks so we'll be there as close to when the lifts get turning as possible....whats the best plan of attack? where to start then move around to? need an insiders scoop...

you can PM me if its easier...thx

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
Heading up in Feb with the wife...we both love steep, ungroomed, trees and open terrain..this will be my 3rd trip up but i was with a buddy in spring conditions and we were just bombing...we'll be skiing Sat and Sunday (unless its great snow and we might hit mrg one day)

We like first tracks so we'll be there as close to when the lifts get turning as possible....whats the best plan of attack? where to start then move around to? need an insiders scoop...

you can PM me if its easier...thx

start at the top and work your way down to the bottom.

sorry couldn't resist.

Head right to Castlerock..Ski Middle Earth, Castlerock run, Rumble and Liftline..then hit up Heavens Gate for Spillsville, Paradise and the woods to the skiers left of Paradise..then work your way skiers right off the Sugar Bravo lift and hit Steins, The Mall and Twist..at Mount Ellen be sure to his FIS, Black Diamond, Hammerhead, Tumbler, Lower FIS, Exterminator, Bravo and Encore..Sugarbush has enough terrain that you can ski a different trail every run for almost 2 days..

WWF-VT

Super Bravo starts turning at 8 AM at Lincoln Peak, GMX at Mt Ellen. Heaven's Gate and Castle Rock chairs at 9 AM. At LP Birdland or Murphy's Glade are a good warm up or take the traverse over to Twist or Moonshine or straight shot down Spring Fling. Second time round woods warm up through Eden. Depending on the conditions there are a lot of options....

kcyanks1

Head right to Castlerock..Ski Middle Earth, Castlerock run, Rumble and Liftline..then hit up Heavens Gate for Spillsville, Paradise and the woods to the skiers left of Paradise..then work your way skiers right off the Sugar Bravo lift and hit Steins, The Mall and Twist..at Mount Ellen be sure to his FIS, Black Diamond, Hammerhead, Tumbler, Lower FIS, Exterminator, Bravo and Encore..Sugarbush has enough terrain that you can ski a different trail every run for almost 2 days..

I go to Heaven's gate for a run or two on Paradise/Paradise Woods before Castlerock. It's easier to ski a run or two up there before going to catch the Castlerock lift which starts lower down. That way you don't have to worry about skiing upper Castlerock Run to Bailout to catch Heaven's gate.

I go to Heaven's gate for a run or two on Paradise/Paradise Woods before Castlerock. It's easier to ski a run or two up there before going to catch the Castlerock lift which starts lower down. That way you don't have to worry about skiing upper Castlerock Run to Bailout to catch Heaven's gate.

I figure Castlerock early before the line gets long..and what's so bad about Castlerock Run to Bailout?

kcyanks1

I figure Castlerock early before the line gets long..and what's so bad about Castlerock Run to Bailout?

CR Run to Bailout isn't bad, just it feels like a semi wasted run. Not that I don't need some more relaxing runs after skiing the bumps or trees on CR, since I do. But you spend all the time to get up the CR chair, and then only get half a run on it before having to branch off for the purpose of getting to another lift.

Talisman

Heaven's Gate is genrally open at ~8:30 AM and Castle Rock rarely opens before 9:00 AM so I do a couple of laps off of the HG before shifting to CR. Once the line builds up on the CR double, I switch to HG for some Spillsville and Paradise action. If the line on the HG is long, I'll work the Valley House double to sample Moonshine, Twist, Mall and Stein's or the Lynx triple for some lines over that way.

If I think South will be too crowded, I'll start at North and amuse myself on FIS, Hammerhead, Tumbler, Lower FIS, Exterminator, Bravo, Encore and stuff.

Greg

Staff member
An interesting approach on a powder day is to hit Gatehouse and hop on North Lynx as soon as it opens. Usually you can score early tracks down Morning Star or Sunrise. Can be tricky to quickly get to Castlerock from there in deep snow, but there's much less competition for powder at Lynx.

kcyanks1

An interesting approach on a powder day is to hit Gatehouse and hop on North Lynx as soon as it opens. Usually you can score early tracks down Morning Star or Sunrise. Can be tricky to quickly get to Castlerock from there in deep snow, but there's much less competition for powder at Lynx.

Yeah, North Lynx is another option to get over there. You can take an easy warm up on Birch Run, some bumps in Morning Star, and then move over to CR.