• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ski / cargo box

air0rmc

I'm looking at cargo carriers to free up some room in the car . Does anybody have a preference of one make and model over another ? I would need to carry atleast two adult and two child pairs of ski's. Thanks for any input

lloyd braun

This is what we have Yakima Sky Box 16. Holds lots of stuff, opens from both sides. We have a light and pad as options. It mounts to factory cross bars or you can add aftermarket bars. We have had it for 3 years and still works and looks new. I can take it off or put in on the car in less than 5 minutes too.

FileRender.ashx

biglines_86240.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Had a Skybox Pro 16, worked great. Packasports are the bomb though.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Have a Thule Evolution 1800. Will hold up to 8 pairs of skis if packed properly. I use Thule Aero crossbars on the Tribeca, and factory bars on the CRV. You just want to make sure you have at least 26 inches between bars, or the box is not super stable. Goes on or comes off in a couple of minutes.

PS: Don't get the square thule bars as they whistle loudly!

drjeff

Have a Thule Evolution 1800. Will hold up to 8 pairs of skis if packed properly. I use Thule Aero crossbars on the Tribeca, and factory bars on the CRV. You just want to make sure you have at least 26 inches between bars, or the box is not super stable. Goes on or comes off in a couple of minutes.

PS: Don't get the square thule bars as they whistle loudly!

I've got the Thule Evolution 2100 box. Holds a TON of gear :) On the flipside of what andrec said about the Thule bars, I've got the square bars for my Chevy Trailblazer and they're as quiet as can be, and we've got the aero bars for my wife's Audi Q7, and those make some serious noise. I guess it has more to do with wind flow patterns around your car than the bars themselves.

Easy on/easy off for the box though. Couple of minutes tops.

wa-loaf

I've got a Yakima 1600. I only went with this size because anything bigger and my hatch would be bumping in it. Won't fit skis much over 180cm, but that's not such a problem these days.

SKIQUATTRO

Thule 1800...the new clamp design allows it to be put on and taken off within 5 min....great cargo box, holds aton of gear

madskier6

Thule 1800...the new clamp design allows it to be put on and taken off within 5 min....great cargo box, holds aton of gear

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner here! This is the box I have too & it works great. I haven't owned any of the other brands so I have no basis for comparison. I just know I like my Thule Evolution 1800.

air0rmc

Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner here! This is the box I have too & it works great. I haven't owned any of the other brands so I have no basis for comparison. I just know I like my Thule Evolution 1800.

Thats good enough for me..! I was actually hoping that someone that has owned both leading brands would chime in on issues like quality of workmanship and materials . I suspect they are both well made and I will be satisfied with either . I can now focus on the best apples to apples price.Thank you all for your time and advice....

bvibert

Staff member
I doubt you'll find much difference in quality between brands. Just pick the one that has the features, size, and pricing that most closely fits your needs.

SKIQUATTRO

I've been a Thule man since 1994.....cant go wrong with either Thule or Yak..both great companines that put out quality gear

lloyd braun

Love the ZJ in the snow with the box on top. Awesome pic. :grin:

not sure what ZJ means.

the pic is from last winter, i think. If you notice the fence post next to the car behind my jeep you will see the hood level is over the top of the fence post. usually the hood sits a foot under that fence post. those cars are sitting on a foot of compacted snow.

Glenn

Sorry, I should have explained. Body style of the Jeep...that's a ZJ...I have an 03 which is a WJ.

Damn! That's a lot of snow!

SKIQUATTRO

heres our Thule 1800 on our 08 Volvo XC70 at Smuggs last January

Last edited: