• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alexa ranking

Greg

Staff member
Have look here:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=1079

I've determined Alexa is pretty much useless in determining a site's traffic or popularity. That big surge was from me when I had the Alexa toolbar installed. If one user can have that much of an effect, it doesn't speak highly for the technology...

BeanoNYC

Is this a neilson or armatron rating for websites? Does your value to advertisers depend on this Alexa numbers?

Greg

Staff member
Some folks will use the Alexa data as a metric, but in my opinion the data is too easily manipulated. Again, those wild swings in early 2004 were when I had the Alexa toolbar installed. If only one user can have that much of an effect.....well... :roll:

The concept is a good one, but only users with the Alexa toolbar installed contribute to the results. It would be cool if browsers had this built in, but this inevitably would raise privacy concerns.