• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Embedding Vimeo videos!

Greg

Staff member
I've enabled the ability to embed Vimeo videos into an AZ post. Vimeo offers significantly better video quality, and processing time is much faster than YouTube. I intend to use Vimeo for all future AZ vids. The post editor now has a Vimeo buttom (
vimeo.gif
). The BBcode is http://www.vimeo.com/2179324

...you would use this BBcode:

PHP:
[VIMEO]2179324[/VIMEO]

...and this would be displayed:

Here's the YouTube version using the same video source to compare the quality:

Enjoy!&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" />http://www.vimeo.com/2179324

...you would use this BBcode:

PHP:
[VIMEO]2179324[/VIMEO]

...and this would be displayed:

Here's the YouTube version using the same video source to compare the quality:

Enjoy!&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="480" height="360">

SkiDork

actually the beauty of vimeo is when you have a high def camera (Greg - put it on your wish list). You have to maximize it to really see how nice it is (mouse over the video, lower right corner)

Here's an example I just put up a few days ago of my daughters cheer competition. Shot with a JVC GZ-HD3

Interesting. They won't present is in high def when it's embedded. You have to go to their site to do that. Oh well... (you'll notice when you mouse over it, it says "HD IS OFF". When you click on that, thats when it offers to bring you to their site)

WoodCore

The quality and resolution of Vimeo videos puts youboob to shame. Glad to see it's an option on AZ. Thanks Greg!

To celebrate here's a little HD Snowbird stoke from Vimeo

:snow:

bvibert

Staff member
It's funny, I was going to ask you about adding Vimeo the other day, but then I got lazy and forgot.

Greg

Staff member
Really? Why?

The record industry/YouTube have really been cracking down lately on copyright infringement on soundtracks. Can't blame them I guess, but I would think that a soundtrack with a proper credit is fantastic free advertising, but the record industry doesn't see it that way apparently.

bvibert

Staff member
The record industry/YouTube have really been cracking down lately on copyright infringement on soundtracks. Can't blame them I guess, but I would think that a soundtrack with a proper credit is fantastic free advertising, but the record industry doesn't see it that way apparently.

Ah, that sucks! I wonder if any of mine have been pulled?

gmcunni

i've had a few videos blocked lately on youtube. one was my daughter's dance recital. the song they were dancing too was some classical piece where the owner claimed copyright violation.:roll:

Greg

Staff member
Ah, that sucks! I wonder if any of mine have been pulled?

You would have gotten Email notification.

i've had a few videos blocked lately on youtube. one was my daughter's dance recital. the song they were dancing too was some classical piece where the owner claimed copyright violation.:roll:

Now that's crazy. I can kinda see a soundtrack, but music in the background? That's just retarded.

Greg

Staff member
Just got another YT vid blocked. Lame.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It seems like YouTube is using a software to digitally compare videos to samples provided by the music industry. If the music matches within an acceptable tolerance, YouTube is automatically taking action depending on the song and how the copyright holder wants to proceed. In some cases, they institute advertising on the site as compensation to the copyright holder. In other cases, they out right remove the video completely without warning. I have had both happen. Interestingly enough, the video that was out right removed was one of my Jay videos due to a Days of the New tune that is ten years old and the band no longer puts out new music. Whereas the video I had advertising put on is the Saddleback video due to a recent Mike Doughty hit from two or three years ago. So it doesn't make sense, no reason other than what the copyright holder has given for instructions.

I don't know if chopping up the music in the video would combat this issue (i.e. only using half a track or fading out to silence prior to a big hit in the video or in the music). Regardless, I ain't re-editing videos to get them back on YouTube so I will be likely putting everything on Vimeo instead.

As Greg mentions, the music industry is completely within the law and its rights but it seems a bit extreme when bands are getting free promotions without the music being "shared" via MP3. Further, it is just yet another slap in the face from an already despised music industry that can't figure out how to serve its customers while also making a profit instead of alienating them for doing creative things (especially when MP3 files are not shared such as in this case).

Given the current rate of blockage, I would assume all but two or three of my videos will likely be removed from YouTube before this season is over. Vimeo and other video sites may eventually suffer the same fate but might as well make the music industry chase their collective tales for a while by going "social networking style site of the year" in the video realm.

Greg

Staff member
It seems like YouTube is using a software to digitally compare videos to samples provided by the music industry. If the music matches within an acceptable tolerance, YouTube is automatically taking action depending on the song and how the copyright holder wants to proceed. In some cases, they institute advertising on the site as compensation to the copyright holder. In other cases, they out right remove the video completely without warning. I have had both happen. Interestingly enough, the video that was out right removed was one of my Jay videos due to a Days of the New tune that is ten years old and the band no longer puts out new music. Whereas the video I had advertising put on is the Saddleback video due to a recent Mike Doughty hit from two or three years ago. So it doesn't make sense, no reason other than what the copyright holder has given for instructions.

I would guess it has more to do with the publisher than the artist. It seems like UMG couldn't care less, but other publishers are having the vids blocked. I've had a bunch blocked in the past week.

I don't know if chopping up the music in the video would combat this issue (i.e. only using half a track or fading out to silence prior to a big hit in the video or in the music). Regardless, I ain't re-editing videos to get them back on YouTube so I will be likely putting everything on Vimeo instead.

I don't know if any slick editing will help. Take Gary's video for example which was music from his daughter's dance recital in the background. Hard to imagine the quality was even good enough to identify it, but I guess it was...

As Greg mentions, the music industry is completely within the law and its rights but it seems a bit extreme when bands are getting free promotions without the music being "shared" via MP3. Further, it is just yet another slap in the face from an already despised music industry that can't figure out how to serve its customers while also making a profit instead of alienating them for doing creative things (especially when MP3 files are not shared such as in this case).

Like I said to you in private, I would think most publishers would look at this as great free advertising, especially if a music credit is given, which I've usually done.

Given the current rate of blockage, I would assume all but two or three of my videos will likely be removed from YouTube before this season is over. Vimeo and other video sites may eventually suffer the same fate but might as well make the music industry chase their collective tales for a while by going "social networking style site of the year" in the video realm.

Yeah, I'm sure Vimeo is not going to be immune to this, but since YouTube is by far the biggest online video publisher, I would bet we have some time. I know YouTube provides the ability to replace a blocked vid's soundtrack with tunes from another artist. Does anyone know of a free repository for such royalty free or "public use" music content that offers such music in a downloadable form that can be used during editing?