• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Embedding Vimeo videos!

skidmarks

Iggy Pop Sucks!!

I'm not doing YouTube for profit so I going down the protest route. We'll see what comes of it.

gmcunni

Does anyone know of a free repository for such royalty free or "public use" music content that offers such music in a downloadable form that can be used during editing?

A friend of mine who also had videos blocked on YT sent me this. I took a quick look and only glanced at the licensing agreement, there is some language in there which could result in fees.

http://www.freeplaymusic.com:80/

i used the somewhat lame stuff Youtube offered for free on a few videos.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I would guess it has more to do with the publisher than the artist. It seems like UMG couldn't care less, but other publishers are having the vids blocked. I've had a bunch blocked in the past week.
Yea, I agree. I probably didn't articulate it correctly in my post. I was just surprised that the vendor in the case of a defunct band would even care whereas a recent chart topper was allowed to stay with ads. Different vendors likely have different blanket policies I would imagine.

hiroto

The record industry/YouTube have really been cracking down lately on copyright infringement on soundtracks. Can't blame them I guess, but I would think that a soundtrack with a proper credit is fantastic free advertising, but the record industry doesn't see it that way apparently.

I was pretty sure this was going to happen someday. That is why everything I posted in public uses non-copyrighted musics explicitly allowing public distribution.

Greg

Staff member
I was pretty sure this was going to happen someday. That is why everything I posted in public uses non-copyrighted musics explicitly allowing public distribution.

What is your source for said music?

hiroto

What is your source for said music?

I'm using this one. http://freeplaymusic.com/ At one point, Apple was distributing a free library containing several thousands tunes from freeplaymusic.com to their network service customers, so that is the one I'm using. If you search for "royalty free music", there are bunch of them out there.

gmcunni

i'm not a lawyer but in reading the freeplaymusic license agreement i don't think it is permitted to use their music when adding it to a video that gets posted to youtube or vimeo sites. The way i read it they exclude web broadcast.

(b) If you are using Freeplay Music for:

(1) Personal Non-Commercial Use (Non-revenue generating). This excludes broadcast use of any kind, including, without limitation, web, blog, and podcast use; or
(2) Educational, Non-Commercial use (this is limited to student use on school grounds for in classroom projects- non broadcast)

Then Freeplay Music's compositions and recordings may be used without a fee.

but i could be wrong.

hiroto

i'm not a lawyer but in reading the freeplaymusic license agreement i don't think it is permitted to use their music when adding it to a video that gets posted to youtube or vimeo sites. The way i read it they exclude web broadcast.

but i could be wrong.

Hmm, you're right, the current license seems quite a bit limiting. I don't know if the library I got was under more permissive license. I got to believe it was because they were promoting them to be used for iMovie and publish on their network service.

Greg

Staff member
A friend of mine who also had videos blocked on YT sent me this. I took a quick look and only glanced at the licensing agreement, there is some language in there which could result in fees.

http://www.freeplaymusic.com:80/

i used the somewhat lame stuff Youtube offered for free on a few videos.

I checked and there are licensing fees in order to use content from FPM. I might just have to stick with using songs from UMG artists.

gmcunni

I checked and there are licensing fees in order to use content from FPM. I might just have to stick with using songs from UMG artists.

That's too bad, the tunes you used on the last couple of videos were really good.

gmcunni

is it just me or does everyone get script errors when trying to close down a vimeo video window? seems to happen on my XP pcs. i'm using a brand new one and still have it happen.

bvibert

Staff member
is it just me or does everyone get script errors when trying to close down a vimeo video window? seems to happen on my XP pcs. i'm using a brand new one and still have it happen.

I've never had any problems on a couple of XP machines running Firefox.