• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kelty Kid Carriers

Greg

Staff member
Hey guys. Well, my daughter will be soon 8 months old so I think it's time to invest in a kid carrier to take her on some mellow (to start) hikes. Does anyone have any recommendations for carriers? I'm looking at the Ridgeline model. Any suggestions?

Mike P - I have to imagine you've considered something like this!

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Kelty Carriers

Greg,
Glad to see someone else out there hiking with an infant! :D
My parents bought me a Kelty Base Camp model for x-mas last year, and I've used it a couple of dozen times since my boy was nine months old. (He's now 13.5 months). The suspension is quite decent, even on the base camp model, and I find that it gets more comfortable each time I use it. Since I sweat buckets when I hike, I like the mesh back panel on the base camp as it breathes a little.
The longest hike I've done was Mount Monadnock via the White Dot and the pack gave me no problems. The hike took four hours total and my son didn't really fidget or squirm, he just sat back there and enjoyed the ride. He seems really comfortable in the harness which adjusts in a couple of places and allows a nice custom fit to hold him very secure. I had him pitched almost over my head on some of those scrambles up Monadnock (due to me leaning over) and he never budged. They even provide loops to clip some toys to, which is really helpful.
I would recommend getting the diaper daypack accessory bag which zips in place of the small bag on the back of the carrier or can be used as a separate daypack. I can cram all kinds of stuff in there like a dozen diapers (duh), a wind suit and hat for the baby, baby bottles and food, snacks, first-aid kit, a windbreaker for me and mom, socks, sunscreen, and two Nalgene bottles in the side pockets. It even comes with a nifty changing pad. Kelty also offers a duffel that straps under the seat of the child, but I wonder how much room will be left for the little feet hanging in that area. I also ordered the sun/rain hood (which I highly recommend) and just ordered the stirrups today so my son has a place to rest his feet.
MountainSports.com has some nice prices on Kelty carriers and accessories, some with free shipping. They were lower than Campmor, Moosejaw, and REI when I purchased the diaper bag and sun hood from them. (This morning the Ridgeline was $139 w/ free shipping.) 8)
Let me know how you make out Greg. If you take her to the store to check them out and she doesn't like it, don't get discouraged. My son didn't like sitting in it at 8 months when I put him in to fit the harness. At nine months after our second walk around the block he was loving it.
Good luck!

Smitty
hotmix77@hotmail.com

Greg

Staff member
Hey smitty77! Thanks for such a detailed reply. If you recommend the sun/rain hood, maybe I'd be better off with the Backcountry model which includes it. MountainSports.com has it for $164 and free shipping. Do you know if they whack you with sales tax on top of that (I'm in CT)?

I wonder if the 250 cu in on the Ridgeline and Backcountry would be enough for dayhikes to carry diapers, wipes, bottles, etc...

Final question: how big of a child can you fit in these things? Looking at them yesterday, it seemed like a baby upwards to 30 lbs may be too big for them. Anyway, I have time. My daughter's 16 lbs at best.

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Greg,

Kelty's site lists the pack on the base camp as 100 cu. in. and it wasn't near big enough, but a 250 cu. in. bag may enough if you just want to carry diapes, wipes, and maybe a formula bottle or two. When I'm planning a hike of an hour or more, I find the small pack fills up quick when you add extra baby clothes, a windbreaker, etc. If you have a hiking partner that will carry the extras, you may get by with the bag that is included. The base camp didn't have the water bottle holders like the ridgeline and the back country, so the diaper pack provided this important feature for me.

I've only used the sun/rain hood twice and it has worked well, but I usually just put a hat on the baby. I like having it in case we get caught in a quick shower or hit some windy conditions. It even has some side flaps that drop down to keep the wind from blowing through the hood.

I checked the MountainSports site today and put a carrier in my "shopping cart". The order page only mentions 8% tax for Texas residents. I live in Mass and didn't get taxed on my order.

The Kelty site also lists a maximum child weight of 45 lb for the two carriers you're considering, with a max load of 60 lb. My son is a peanut at 19 lbs (he was under 6 lbs at birth) , but it seems like there will be plenty of room for him as he grows. With him and all of the gear, the pack tops out at 35 lbs right now. (The pack itself weighs 5, according to Kelty.)

Let me know how you make out.
Smitty

Greg

Staff member
Great! Thanks a lot for your insight. Oh, and welcome to the boards!

Our daughter was 5 lbs. 10 oz. at birth so she's a peanut too. I'll update here when I get one and try it out with her.

Mike P.

I have a Kelty, model unknown at the present. It was a gift from my co-workers when Kristina was born. I think they have changed the model names some but it looks a lot like the Ridgeline & has the removeable kid pack & attachments so I could had a top to it.

It's pretty comfortable & I've started using already on the Airline Trail in Colchester with Nicholas while I push Kristina in the jogging stroller. He may be a little young for it but at 21 pounds & almost 6 months he is at a good size for it.

While I agree with write up on EMS website about the child being able to keep their head upright before using a backpack carrier, it seems odd since at least with my kids & what I've heard from others, within a mile they fall asleep any way. Other issue & maybe worth getting higher model or attachemnt for netting is the bugs. Mosquitos do like to buzz around your highest point which is now shared with your child when on your back. DEET on a small child probably not a great idea.

If I recall correctly we took Kristina out in November & early December in CT dressed in a one piece fleece suit after the mosquito's died & then out in March & early April. What I'm finding out now is that I can't keep a hat on a 5.5 month old so I need to put him in a windbreaker or a sweatshirt with a hood.

Regarding trying to get kids hiking, keeping it pleasant. Since my time is so limited right now, while we keep going out I don't have Kristina walking as I would get to impatient with her for being pokey. Once things settle down at home, She & I can go back to just walking at Devil's Hopyard to go over the covered brideg & see the falls. She likes waterfalls. I carried the two of them to the lower falls on Race Brook a couple of weeks ago. With one on my back & one in my arms, the lower falls were farther than I thought & I gained more elevation than I wanted to gain. It was worth it though

Mike P.

It seems to fit enough diapers, travel wipes & kid snacks. I haven't figured out yet how to get much of my gear attached. When going with another adult that is easy but waist belt is too cushy to wear my fanny back also. I think there are some attachment points though so I could attach a small stuff sack with my rain-coat & extra since I may need kid fleece for two. An Umbrella seems like a good idea too.

Greg

Staff member
Thanks again for all the great Kelty pack (and parenting advice)! My and Abby's Kelty Back Country came today. I found a really great price from this Web site:

http://www.comfort1st.com/noname26.html

~$160, free shipping, no sales tax. I hope to do a few laps around the neighborhood tomorrow to try it out. I'll let you know how things go.

Max

Sounds like we can come to the conclusion that Abby is feeling much better since Flags weekend then...that's the best news of all. Load her up and take the family out for some nice foliage walks Greg. Let's see...Smitty77 was 4 months old when we took him out for the first time. 26 years later, you still can't keep him in the house!

Have fun with the new carrier...take Abby EVERYWHERE!

Patti & Max

Greg

Staff member
Thanks Max. Will Do. Yup - Abby is a new baby. It's amazing how much she's grown and developed in the few weeks since she was sick. Four big 'ole teeth and the desire to take on the world!

Greg

Staff member
Max said:
Smitty77 was 4 months old when we took him out for the first time. 26 years later, you still can't keep him in the house!
Just made the connection that you two are father and son...and both posting here. That's cool! 8)

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Father and son

Greg,
We certainly are! As they say the nut doesn't fall far from the tree and it's certainly true for me. In fact I even live about 1 mile from Max! I'm really thankful for the passion for the outdoors that he has passed on to me. Do what he says and take Abby everywhere. I did more by the time I was 13 than most people do in their lives, and I'd like to think I'm a better person for it. Plus I think all the stuff we did together really helped keep me out of trouble when I was growing up. It has to be the best way to stay in touch with your kids.
I'm also glad to hear your daughter is feeling better. Was the sickness due to the teething? Levi gets a little cold, diarrhea, diaper rash, doesn't eat, and sleeps an awful lot when he's poking a new one through. Abby already has a jump on him. Only 3 teeth at 15 months!

Happy Trails.
Smitty

Greg

Staff member
Re: Father and son

smitty77 said:
Greg,
We certainly are! As they say the nut doesn't fall far from the tree and it's certainly true for me. In fact I even live about 1 mile from Max! I'm really thankful for the passion for the outdoors that he has passed on to me. Do what he says and take Abby everywhere. I did more by the time I was 13 than most people do in their lives, and I'd like to think I'm a better person for it. Plus I think all the stuff we did together really helped keep me out of trouble when I was growing up. It has to be the best way to stay in touch with your kids.
I'm also glad to hear your daughter is feeling better. Was the sickness due to the teething? Levi gets a little cold, diarrhea, diaper rash, doesn't eat, and sleeps an awful lot when he's poking a new one through. Abby already has a jump on him. Only 3 teeth at 15 months!

Happy Trails.
Smitty
Very touching Smitty! Your post really made me smile. Most of us will only leave one legacy when leave this world; and that's our children. When Abby was born I was amazed how much I could love someone I've never met. As time goes on, I'm amazed how much that seemingly 'ultimate' love grows every day.

Anyway, no, Abby had some sort of viral infection. After her little stint in the hospital for an IV, she improved significantly. After a couple more days she was back to her old self. She's definitely been playing catch-up though. She's up during the night like a newborn wanting another bottle! Yup the 4 teeth all popped though within a few weeks of each other. The faucet's (drooling) been on full blast. Kids are so neat. :)

Greg

Staff member
By the time I got home and figured out how to strap her in I only had time to take a few laps around the yard, but she seemed to enjoy it! :D :D :D

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
A few laps...

... will quickly become a few hours. The first time I put Levi in the carrier he cried. The second time I was able to get him on my back, although he looked a little scared. Once he realized he had a much better view from up high, he was able to get comfortable. It's too bad the weather is starting to turn so quickly. Guess it's time to break out the snowsuit, hats, and mittens.

Smitty

Greg

Staff member
Took a 3+ mile hike around White Memorial Park in Litchfield, CT this afternoon. She and I absolutely loved it. She's not a big fan of getting strapped in, but once we were off she was humming away! We were out for a solid hour and she fell asleep for the last mile or so. Great time! I'm glad she likes it. I sure did! :) :) :)

smitty77

Website
hotmix77.tripod.com
Glad she enjoyed it Greg. I picked up another hiking partner when I started taking Levi along: My Wife. She couldn't bear being away from her little boy for a day, so she bought some boots and we all go together. It will be a while before we get up to the whites, but we've really enjoyed local hikes like Wachusett.

We'll have to get together for a hike next spring or early summer. I work in Putnam, CT most of the time so a trip to your neck of the woods would be doable.

Smitty

Greg

Staff member
Someone posted a link to this atricle over at VFTT. Thought some of you might enjoy it.

Yeah smitty77. It would be nice if my wife got into hiking. We've done hikes together, but she prefers flatter trails. Maybe she'll get into climbing some peaks now.

I think Abby will be ready for Bear Mountain in CT next spring. Maybe we can do that together...

Greg

Staff member
Went out for another quick hike yesterday on the Mattatuck Trail. Thought some of you might like these:

Dsc02502.sized.jpg

Dsc02508.sized.jpg