• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

PATS PEAK: The 2005 AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lori Cayouette, from Pats Peak in Henniker, New Hampshire has agreed to take the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge! This is your chance to get official answers to your ski-related questions direct from a Northeast ski resort representative! Please post some suggested questions in this thread and we'll select ten to present for official responses.

Also please don't be offended if we edit/change your question for grammar, tone, or some other minor thing. In order to get in all of the questions we MAY merge some questions but we'll do our best to keep the substance of your question. If we don't get your question in, feel free to post a follow up after we get the results...we are encouraging the representatives follow the threads. :wink:

As always, please be respectful of Lori and keep it civil. Also, please refrain from asking specifics about skier visit numbers, financials, demographic information, etc. Pats Peak needs to be discrete about certain information.

Ask away!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lori, my congrats on a record season of 146,000 skier days. Ms. Trailboss and I were very happy season pass holders at Pats and had a great time with our Girl Scout Troop at Scout Day. On that day, you had enough snow to open the Peak Double Liftline for skiing and riding and it was incredible! I enjoyed skiing that narrow section from Hurricane down to Knight Slope. Any chance you can blow snow on this narrow chute and open it again next season? I really appreciated how your mountain ops blew snow on Vortex and the Upper Peak liftline so that we could ski it. Thanks!

thetrailboss

Staff member
In 2004, we found that the trails were all groomed a bit too much. Last season it seemed like many trails were not groomed at all (e.g. Hurricane, Tornado).Hurricane was pretty much glare ice all season and not skiable. Can you offer a good medium, say, groom one side and allow the other to bump up? Did the weather get the best of you? Also, Twister was pretty much always a sheet of ice. Why is this (exposure perhaps)?

hammer

Are there any changes planned to the POP program? Not that I'd want to see any.

Would it be possible to change the line going into the Valley double lift? Making the turn into the enclosed area can be a bit awkward...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks for last season's great improvements. The bathrooms were great and the new glade was nice (especially with the snowmaking). So what is slated for this season? What is the timetable for the snowmaking pond project?

thetrailboss

Staff member
In our discussions here, it has been brought up that Hurricane is one of the steepest trails in Southern New England. What is its exact pitch? Is this claim true?

What trail(s) will get lights for night skiing soon?

Can you tell us more about when Pats Peak hosted the US Cup/World Cup in the 1970's? Who raced here for big names?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Do you have any plans to replace the Hurricane Triple? I know that on more than one occasion the lift was either out of service or not working properly. I'd imagine that is an old lift.

Vortex

What special events do you have planned for the coming season? I missed the Girls Scount Event last year. I would like to get our troup out for it next year. Do you have night skiing special events?

Vortex

A very positive set of answers. I might have to make a few trips. Who wants to ski on an Az race team? Come on guys, I'm in if we get enough folks. Looks like just under $88 a piece.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I will admit that I was a bit nervous when I saw that Kris would not be answering, but Lori did a knock-down job. Great replies, I'm glad that once again they've taken my input SERIOUSLY and that it will help them.

What a great operation...and this is a great example of how the challenge helps the smaller mountains...good, direct, info and a receptive person on the other side. GREAT job Lori!!! :idea:

PeakMarketingGirl

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
You're Welcome!

thetrailboss -- I'm glad you were happy with our responses on the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge. We do our best here to please our skiers. It's always great to hear positive comments. It won't be long until the snow starts flying...See you at The Peak. ~Lori

Greg

Staff member
Re: You're Welcome!

PeakMarketingGirl said:
thetrailboss -- I'm glad you were happy with our responses on the AlpineZone Ski Area Challenge. We do our best here to please our skiers. It's always great to hear positive comments. It won't be long until the snow starts flying...See you at The Peak. ~Lori
Welcome, Lori!

dmc

Re: You're Welcome!

PeakMarketingGirl said:

That was hot...
I love it when marketing people come onto these grassroots sites!