• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How often do you wash tech gear? How often do you re-waterproof?

Moe Ghoul

Outergear gets washed at end of season, never used any of the waterproofing stuff. Occasionally, a pant shell gets grody and gets a midseason wash. Otherwise, if it doesn't stand up on its own, its clean. :)

cbcbd

I'd like to re-waterproof some stuff but now I'm thoroughly confused as what to do....:blink:
The standard Nikwax way would be to wash your stuff with Tech-Wash (if Gore-tex or similar) and then spray it with TX-Direct spray. That combo does work well when I've done it although I haven't tried anything different yet. For softshells you can use their Softshell wash-in waterproofing... I have a bottle but haven't used it yet.

bvibert

Staff member
I try to wash my gore-tex hard shells as least as possible... if I do I use Nikwax TX-direct spray to rewaterproof

I used the spray on stuff once and didn't have really good results with it. The first time out with the jacket after washing and treatment the water didn't bead up at all. What have your experiences been?

Moe Ghoul

I can count on one hand the number of days where rain/snow was an issue in the past few seasons. My experience is most of the outer water resistance gear holds up for a few years, then it gets replaced with new gear. The older stuff gets worn on sunny days. I'm guessing there's prolly some kinda spray on water repellant as well.

Glenn

I'd like to re-waterproof some stuff but now I'm thoroughly confused as what to do....:blink:

As am I. I just wash the jacket every so often. Let me rephrase that. My wife washes after she says: "That thing needs to get washed! Look at the collar!"

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
As am I. I just wash the jacket every so often. Let me rephrase that. My wife washes after she says: "That thing needs to get washed! Look at the collar!"
+1....but I have trained her well on not putting any ski clothing in the dryer. Everything gets line dried...

Outergear gets washed at end of season, never used any of the waterproofing stuff. Occasionally, a pant shell gets grody and gets a midseason wash. Otherwise, if it doesn't stand up on its own, its clean. :)

Times two..or when my ski jacket starts smelling like BO

bvibert

Staff member

+1....but I have trained her well on not putting any ski clothing in the dryer. Everything gets line dried...

Do they use regular detergent? Supposedly regular detergent is not good for Gore-Tex like materials, it clogs up the pores or something...

Glenn

Do they use regular detergent? Supposedly regular detergent is not good for Gore-Tex like materials, it clogs up the pores or something...

Asking me what's used in the laundry machine is like asking my wife what type of oil I use in the vehicles. :lol:

It's a big jug and smells like laundry.

Her response to the oil question would be similar: "It's in a bunch of bottles".

Seriously though, I'd imagine it's regular ol' detergent. I'm sporting an older North Face Scot "I left the last T off because it's silent" Schmidt Steep Tech. I'm sure the Water Proofing left the garmet around the time MTV stopped playing videos. :cool:

Greg

Staff member

I thought I heard once that it's better to use powder detergent than liquid detergent. Not sure why that would be. Anyway, I just wash my gear in regular old liquid All. Unless you're skiing in pouring rain all day, there's a bit of overthinking that I think you can get caught up in with this stuff.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I thought I heard once that it's better to use powder detergent than liquid detergent. Not sure why that would be. Anyway, I just wash my gear in regular old liquid All. Unless you're skiing in pouring rain all day, there's a bit of overthinking that I think you can get caught up in with this stuff.

I looked on the labels for my tech gear and they all said to use powdered detergent (which I don't normally with our front-loader). Tech Wash is supposed to be safe for tech gear; no optical brighteners added and it's supposed to wash out residue-free. I use my hardshell as a rain jacket so it's important to me that it remains waterproof.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Two years ago, I got stuck on the Skye Peak lift out of Bear for over 1/2 hour in the pouring rain. I'll ski in the rain up to a the point where I'd turn my windsheild washers on in the car.

bvibert

Staff member

It's not that hard to go out and buy some tech wash to wash the stuff in. IIRC, it has more to do with the breath ability of the material (so that your sweat can get out), than the waterproofness. I pay good money for my outer layers, it's worth it to me to spend a few dollars extra once a year to ensure they continue to preform.

And yes, when I do ski in the rain or wet snow storms I like to stay dry...

Greg

Staff member
It's not that hard to go out and buy some tech wash to wash the stuff in. IIRC, it has more to do with the breath ability of the material (so that your sweat can get out), than the waterproofness. I pay good money for my outer layers, it's worth it to me to spend a few dollars extra once a year to ensure they continue to preform.

And yes, when I do ski in the rain or wet snow storms I like to stay dry...

Fair enough. I just don't think that not using such products is going to immediately zap all waterproofness from your gear, but I guess it's probably a good idea to use them. I'm just lazy. :lol:

o3jeff

I try to buy dark colored stuff so you won't see when its dirty. If it starts to smell spray some Fabreeze on it:lol:;-)

Greg

Staff member
If it starts to smell spray some Fabreeze on it:lol:;-)

That's the smell I've been detecting mountain biking with you all summer. I couldn't out my finger on it.

cbcbd

I used the spray on stuff once and didn't have really good results with it. The first time out with the jacket after washing and treatment the water didn't bead up at all. What have your experiences been?
Lol, ok... I'll be honest... I've washed my jacket once and sprayed it once :D That one time that I did the water was beading up so I dunno... I think it's time for me to wash my goretex stuff again just to refresh my memory of the thing working :)