• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How often do you wash tech gear? How often do you re-waterproof?

usually wash it once a year..maybe twice if I've had a trip out west that involved lots of hiking and swampy a$$. The dryer will actually help renew a DWR coating...10-15 min on med heat. They say not to use liquid detergents because theycan interfere with the DWR coatings and the breathability of the waterproof membrane...gore tex, helly tech, marmot's membrain, etc.

trtaylor

For sure don't use any detergent containing fabric softener. As others have mentioned, powder preferred over liquid. Double-rinse is recommended regardless. Then while wet, apply the DWR (Nikwax or ReviveX). As ECP says, a short time in the dryer on low heat is good.

Me, I wash stuff at the end of season, before it gets put away.

bvibert

Staff member
For sure don't use any detergent containing fabric softener. As others have mentioned, powder preferred over liquid. Double-rinse is recommended regardless. Then while wet, apply the DWR (Nikwax or ReviveX). As ECP says, a short time in the dryer on low heat is good.

Me, I wash stuff at the end of season, before it gets put away.

A short time in the dryer before, or after applying the DWR?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
A short time in the dryer before, or after applying the DWR?
It's sort of like when we did cloth diapering. The fabrics for the diaper covers were similar to the tech fabrics in our gear... and a short time in the dryer did wonders to help waterproofness because it would help re-seal any holes in the coating. Liquid detergents with optical brighteners (and, God forbid, fabric softener! :eek:) were also big no-nos because they would interfere with the waterproofness.

bvibert

Staff member
It's sort of like when we did cloth diapering. The fabrics for the diaper covers were similar to the tech fabrics in our gear... and a short time in the dryer did wonders to help waterproofness because it would help re-seal any holes in the coating. Liquid detergents with optical brighteners (and, God forbid, fabric softener! :eek:) were also big no-nos because they would interfere with the waterproofness.

That still didn't answer my question... ;)

bvibert

Staff member
Listen to your wife :grin:

Wash, while wet apply the Nikwax/ReviveX. Then tumbe dry on low heat for a short period of time.

Thanks for the clarification. Is there any worry about the Nikwax getting all over the inside of the dryer?

Beetlenut

how often do you wash your tech gear (i.e. jackets and ski/board pants)? ;)

What? You're suppose to wash that stuff? I just take my ski pants off, and they go stand in the corner until the next ski day! Have never used any product on them!

bigbog

I've been doing the re-waterproof at end of season....but washing depends on how much I've perspired...usually after every (*EDIT:..make that ~12th skiday). Mild powder or TechWash..and I use a Large rinse with all my clothes anyways...does a good job of ridding any excess.

$.01
SteveD

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT
Gore recommends applying a topical water repellency restorative (DWR treatment) for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer. We do not recommend wash-in treatments as they can affect the garment's breathability.

Basically, use the spray ons for renewing waterproofing.

Softshells are a whole other realm though... I'd like to think that Softshell Proof I used helped somewhat.

drjeff

Tec Wash when ever it looks like it needs or or atleast once a season (heck, my kids stuff get tec-washed probably a dozen times during ski season), and then the appropriate Nik-Wax water repellancy treatment depending on if it's a hard/soft shell.

The less foreign matter in the water/wind proof membrane, the better they work!