• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Eisenhower

MtnMagic

Date(s) Hiked: Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Trails(s) Hiked: Edmands

Total Distance: 6.6 miles, 2750’ elevation gain

Difficulty: On the easy side of moderate

Conditions: Sunny, warm, windy, a little bit hazy

Special Required Equipment: wind breaker

Trip Report:
I am always happy to hike this finely maintained, well thought out and superbly constructed trail by J. Rayner Edmunds in 1909. It is one of the easier hikes in the Whites to the 4760’summit. The moderate grade and good footing continues to be pleasant after the tramping for more than a century. Hats off to the trail maintenance couple for a job volunteered and well done.

If you haven’t visited Ike, this hike is much less of a challenge than many of the 4k peaks and the views in all directions are grand. Try it, you’ll like it. Like Ike, what’s not to like? I love Ike!

Greg

Staff member
Absolutely. Great trail that is a good option for beginners. It was my first trail to my first 4K some 17 years ago. Also, if the weather is nice you can head up and over Monroe. Here are some pics from a few years ago.

Thanks for all the reports MtnMagic! Keep 'em coming!

MtnMagic

You are most welcome, Greg! Hiked a few more since this one. I'll write a few more!

Greg

Staff member
Great! Any pics?

MtnMagic

No pix on this hike. It was a bit hazy so only Monroe, Washington, and Jefferson looked the best. I remember seeing the Mt Wash Hotel in the Valley and the Cog climbing up Washington.
Oh, as we left the summit and followed the cairns down, I turned around to see a Raven gliding effortlessly in the winds, slowly soaring North to West before leaving sight. It was another spiritual event!