• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dick's Picks 35 (Grateful Dead content)

dmc

Alway wondered why there were no soundboard tapes from that era... Now I know why!

from GDStore.com
Dick's Picks 35 is a 4 CD set featuring recently unearthed material from the August 1971 tour. The 8/7 show from San Diego is featured in its entirety, as well as all that could be recovered from the 8/24 show in Chicago, IL. Bonus tracks on disc 4 feature more than an hour of highlights from the 8/6 show at the Palladium in Hollywood, CA. Of course, the CD is mastered in HDCD. For setlist information, please click here.

A Note About Dick's Pick 35: The Legend of the Houseboat Tapes:

Although the Grateful Dead's vault is enormous and impressively full, the band certainly doesn't have a tape of every show it played; in fact, they don't even have a copy of every show they recorded. Tapes drifted off in a variety of ways - including Jerry Garcia handing them out. And therein lies the story of Dick's Picks 35.

This spring, our archivist David Lemieux got a call from Donna Jean Godchaux-Mackay. It seems that in the late summer of 1971, just before Keith Godchaux began rehearsals with the Dead, Garcia handed him a big box of tapes and said, "Here, this is our most recent tour. Learn our music." The irony was that Donna Jean doubts mightily Keith ever bothered to listen to them - he'd never listened to the Dead all that much before he auditioned, first with Garcia and then the rest of the band - he just had an uncanny innate facility for the music. In any case, he left the tapes on his parents' houseboat in Alameda, CA, and there they stayed. For almost 35 years.

In the spring of 2005, Keith's brother Brian and son Zion were cleaning out the houseboat, found the tapes, and gave them to Donna, whose jaw dropped. One call to Lemieux later, and the Dead's long-lost missing tour from the summer of 1971 had resurfaced. Master tapes include April 28 and 29 at the Fillmore East (released as "Ladies and Gentlemen," which was mixed from the multi-track masters), the 7/31 Yale Bowl (alas, the reels were blank), a small piece of the second Hollywood Palladium show, the complete shows from Berkeley Community Theatre 8/14 & 8/15, and others. Dick's Pick #35 is the complete San Diego (8/7/71) show, all that was salvageable of the 8/24 Chicago show, and an hour-plus of the Hollywood Palladium (8/6), which is all that existed on the tapes.

Not a soundboard-recorded note of that tour's music circulates among Dead Heads, so this is a truly remarkable find. How they survived 35 years in a watery environment simply proves, yet once again - if you needed convincing - that God smiles on the Grateful Dead.

Vortex

Cool little story. I think that is on the purchase list. I like the piano sound. :D The Closest I got to that was Hornsby in the early 90's. Nice bit DMC. BTW the Greatful Dead movie is back on PBS I saw it Sunday night again.

snowsprite

I'd like to hear some of that, but not sure I'd go in for a purchase of the whole set.

What is it about the Grateful Dead? I was driving somewhere yesterday...hot and annoyed in my car. Flipping off other drivers. Irritated by life's many irritations. Then "Eyes of the World" came on the radio (not sure what concert it was from tho). By the time I got where I was going, I felt like a new woman. So relaxed and happy...joyful even.

That's what it is about the Dead.
8)
Sprite

dmc

snowspritect said:
I'd Then "Eyes of the World" came on the radio (not sure what concert it was from tho). By the time I got where I was going, I felt like a new woman. So relaxed and happy...joyful even.

"Eyes" has a habit of doing that to people... Very upbeat and jazzy... Great hopeful lyrics.. Full of references to birds, winter summer homes, lazy gates, redeemers, silent seeds bursting to bloom...
Awesome song!!

Always enjoy playing Eyes on drums..

BeanoNYC

dmc said:
snowspritect said:
I'd Then "Eyes of the World" came on the radio (not sure what concert it was from tho). By the time I got where I was going, I felt like a new woman. So relaxed and happy...joyful even.

"Eyes" has a habit of doing that to people... Very upbeat and jazzy... Great hopeful lyrics.. Full of references to birds, winter summer homes, lazy gates, redeemers, silent seeds bursting to bloom...
Awesome song!!

Always enjoy playing Eyes on drums..

I caught an "eyes" yesterday here in NYC. I couldn't believe it ... normally you're lucky if you get a casey jones or uncle johns band on the radio here .... thank goodness for my ipod. Anyhoooo BobR mentions the piano sound of Keith. That was a big sticking point for the rest of the band. They wanted him to use more electronic sounds throughout the 70's, but Keith didn't like to. I had heard that it was the reason they wanted to get rid of him in his later years. My .02 on Donna? I hate when she drowns out Jerry's sweet voice. She pairs up much better with Bobby on his tunes. (Estimated for example)

on another note ... I just started my vacation ... I'm off for the next 70 days!

Vortex

Enjoy BeanoNYC pop in and post. Eyes... Spingfield mass 1985 2nd night spring tour got me into this family traveling thing. At least thats how I remember it. :wink:

dmc

Sweet - sweet - early 70's Dead....

Can't wait for it to arrive... Also ordered this shirt.... Need a new GD gig tee... :)
DECT094.jpg

dmc

BeanoNYC said:
I caught an "eyes" yesterday here in NYC.

WFUV?

Total agreement on the Donna thing... Better on Bob songs...

ChileMass

dmc said:
Sweet - sweet - early 70's Dead....

Can't wait for it to arrive... Also ordered this shirt.... Need a new GD gig tee... :)
DECT094.jpg

dmc - is that shirt available on dead.net? Being a native upstate New Yorker myself, I may just have to order that.....

ChileMass

dmc said:
BeanoNYC said:

WFUV?

Total agreement on the Donna thing... Better on Bob songs...

Used to like to have Donna there at the shows. If you were far enough away from the stage and in the right frame of mind, she could look pretty good sometimes....certainly beat looking at Phil or Jerry.....

I definitely preferred her harmony vocals over Brent Mydland's.....his voice drove me nuts....

dmc

ChileMass said:
I definitely preferred her harmony vocals over Brent Mydland's.....his voice drove me nuts....

I loved Brents high pitch gravely harmonies.... Missed them after he died...
I also thought his songs were really good too!
"Hell In A Bucket", "We Can run", "Tons of Steel", "Blow Away" and "Just A Little Light"

"I Will Take You Home" I actually started to miss after he died for some reason.. I just never liked it as a second set song...

Also loved it when he sang "Dear Mr. Fantasy"...

Vortex

Dear Mr Fantasy was my favorite Brent version of a song as well. Hell in a bucket is a Bobby tune isn't it? Did Brent write is or something? All I have to reference Donna to is live recordings and they at times sound well... Some harmonies with Bob sound pretty sweet.

SkiDog

BeanoNYC said:
I caught an "eyes" yesterday here in NYC. I couldn't believe it ... normally you're lucky if you get a casey jones or uncle johns band on the radio here .... thank goodness for my ipod. Anyhoooo BobR mentions the piano sound of Keith. That was a big sticking point for the rest of the band. They wanted him to use more electronic sounds throughout the 70's, but Keith didn't like to. I had heard that it was the reason they wanted to get rid of him in his later years. My .02 on Donna? I hate when she drowns out Jerry's sweet voice. She pairs up much better with Bobby on his tunes. (Estimated for example)

on another note ... I just started my vacation ... I'm off for the next 70 days!

Totally agree on the Donna thing HATED her drowning out Jerry...Also super glad Keith didnt go electric I think that the grand piano/real piano added a depth that was amazing....thats one of the reasons I loved it when they brought Hornsbury on tour with them...man did that bring back that old sound...god I miss them sometimes..thank god for bootlegs and Dicks picks...

M

SkiDog

Dont know if anyone uses itunes, but I noticed you can get any and all of the dicks picks directly from there...no need to order...no need to wait..just go DL it and burn it off to CD....

Jus thought you'd all like to know...

:)

M

P.S. Mydland Rocked..Different than Keith, but Great just the same...guess Brett brought that "electric" sound someone mentioned earlier that they were "looking" for...

dmc

Bob R said:
Dear Mr Fantasy was my favorite Brent version of a song as well. Hell in a bucket is a Bobby tune isn't it? Did Brent write is or something? All I have to reference Donna to is live recordings and they at times sound well... Some harmonies with Bob sound pretty sweet.

Brent and Bobby cowrote "Hell in a bucket" with Barlow...

Donna is on Bobs CD "Ace" - as well as the rest of the GD...
If you don't have it... Get it! It's one of my favorite CDs of all time..

Vortex

Off topic kind of, and may be worthy of a thread, but what was your favorite sticker?
Mine was always who are the Greatful Dead and why are they folloing me and another I saw I liked was Proceed with caution Dead Head at the wheel. These days no stickers on the auto. I do have a vanity plate, but I won't post it here.

dmc

SkiDog said:
I think that the grand piano/real piano added a depth that was amazing....thats one of the reasons I loved it when they brought Hornsbury on tour with them..

I loved it when Bruce played the accordian.. On songs like "Masterpiece"...
One of the bands I play in has a keybord player that plays accordian.. He breaks it out on songs like "Eyes".. Really cool...

BeanoNYC

dmc said:
BeanoNYC said:

WFUV?

Nope, it was Q104.3. WFUV would have been my guess too. It was a midday, non "without a net" "eyes" I've noticed a change in programming here in NY. It seems that eveyone is moving to a free form style. I do morn the end of CBS FM, but the replacement, JACK FM, is quite good. I think this is all in response to the whole Sirius/XM surge in popularity.

dmc

BeanoNYC said:
dmc said:
BeanoNYC said:

WFUV?

Nope, it was Q104.3. WFUV would have been my guess too. It was a midday, non "without a net" "eyes" I've noticed a change in programming here in NY. It seems that eveyone is moving to a free form style. I do morn the end of CBS FM, but the replacement, JACK FM, is quite good. I think this is all in response to the whole Sirius/XM surge in popularity.

Wow... Maybe there's hope for NY radio yet!
I grew up listening to WNEW... Great station... So sad it's gone..

Supported WFUV but now I listen to WDST(Woodstock NY) pretty much exclusively... Listen to them at work all day on the net www.wdst.com ...

Psyched to get "eh-eh-eh"(Sirius) this winter...