• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Overnight Camp/Hike Suggestions

Angus

looking for a route suggestion in the ME, NH, VT or even central/western MA that is suitable for a 9 year old. Looking to camp either 1 or 2 nights preferably by water that is swimmable - probably want to go between 10 -15 miles with some elevation gain. any ideas - either a circuit or point to point is fine. thanks in advance.

Snowflower

What about Bigelow Mt in Maine? I did this several years ago with a nine year old and two 12 year olds. The views are spectacular and there are 4 or 5 camping options along the way. If you overnight at the Horns campsite you can swim in the Horns pond. This can be done as either a loop via the Firewardens Trail/AT or as a point-to-point along the AT.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
I'll second the Bigelows suggestion (see my recent trip report). Also Speck Pond in the Mahoosucs, which has tent platforms and a shelter. Both are alpine tarns - the water won't necessarily be warm. :)