• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

I have to believe the majority of quad packs are used up after this past weekend. I and a friend burned mine but that doesn't mean I won't be at the bush again this season. :

This has not been the case in years past. There are a large amount of people who save the quad packs for spring skiing in early April when the snow is soft and the temps are warm. I friend of mine in the office told me that almost 1/3 of the quad packs are redeemed in the last 6 weeks of operation. People wait until the last minute. Last year there were many people in the parking lot tryng to sell their left over quad packs.

WWF-VT

Bluebird sunny day in the 30's at Lincoln Peak today. Groomers all softened up nicely, ungroomed/natural a different story. Steins was bumped up and shiny in the sun, Organgrinder another icy mess not worth skiing. Ripcord was very nice today. Looks like there will be decent snow at elevation Friday into Saturday and it will be interesting to see what gets groomed tonight to set up for the weekend.

cdskier

Looks like there will be decent snow at elevation Friday into Saturday and it will be interesting to see what gets groomed tonight to set up for the weekend.

I hate when they don't update the grooming report at night showing what will be groomed for the next day. Snow Report says 47 being groomed tonight yet the trail status still only shows the 41 that were groomed last night.

I'm loading up the car and leaving in a few minutes to beat the snow tomorrow. I'll be working remotely thanks to the wifi in the lodge at LP in the morning tomorrow, then skiing in the afternoon ideally.

bushpilot

I hate when they don't update the grooming report at night showing what will be groomed for the next day. Snow Report says 47 being groomed tonight yet the trail status still only shows the 41 that were groomed last night.

I'm loading up the car and leaving in a few minutes to beat the snow tomorrow. I'll be working remotely thanks to the wifi in the lodge at LP in the morning tomorrow, then skiing in the afternoon ideally.

Might see you there in the afternoon. Planning on going from the bush to bolton @ 4 for some twilight powder.

Hawk

On my way in the afternoon. Looks like tomorrow morning will be really good. Yet another early ups bonanza! How did the crusty layer hold up in the woods and down low this week? I am assuming it didn't melt out and there is a good hard base everywhere so the skiing in the woods will be in play.

Duncanator24

Is Mt Ellen supposed to be closing this weekend? Seems like that would be unfortunate with all this new snow falling.

Hawk

That's the deal over there every year. People bitch but they start to wind down on April 1. With the decline of skier visits it does not make sense to have all the facilities open. They waste money and that is something that Win does not do.

cdskier

Yup, last weekend of March/first weekend of April is always the closing date for ME. Nothing new. This has been the plan for a while now and is known in advance.

And it is just starting to lightly snow now up here at Sugarbush.

Duncanator24

Makes sense, I figured that was the case. Curious if they are okay with people hiking up the hill to ski it after the lifts are done for the season. Not that i would do it, but I could see there being value in that. Mountain certainly should go out with a bang this weekend at least!

I would think hiking/skinning over via the Long Trail from Castle Rock would be the best way to get there.

Last edited:

cdskier

Yes, they absolutely are ok with hiking ME after it closes for the season (and even "actively" encourage it in facebook posts or even in the snow report)

cdskier

Expect SB to be open still Easter weekend? If so how are conditions expected.

Absolutely. They will be open daily until April 23 and then one more weekend after that unless we get a major heat wave. For conditions you'll need to wait until closer to that date to see what happens with the weather between now and then. I would most likely expect some natural trails especially at lower elevations to be closed by Easter unless it stays unusually cool and snowy. That's not overly likely though.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bushpilot

IMG_7249.jpg

Wow! Nice start to April. Not sure how the end of the month will be but today was spectacular!!!

In case you are wondering which one was me, I was hootin and hollering on every run lol.

It was so delicious!

cdskier

Wow! Nice start to April. Not sure how the end of the month will be but today was spectacular!!!

In case you are wondering which one was me, I was hootin and hollering on every run lol.

It was so delicious!

I think you described half the people on the mountain lol. I heard tons of people shouting for joy.

It was heavy but sure was tons of fun out there today!

bushpilot

I think you described half the people on the mountain lol. I heard tons of people shouting for joy.

And every time someone yelled I had to yell back! It was just one of those days. Nice and empty too. Had to leave at noon to go to work but should be heading back tomorrow.

bushpilot

And every time someone yelled I had to yell back! It was just one of those days. Nice and empty too. Had to leave at noon to go to work but should be heading back tomorrow.

MommaBear

Ha, I gave a woo hoo on my way up the first lift ride and my 16 yo looked at me like I was crazy. And then there were woo hoo's from the woods in response...lol! Heard them all day long, even on the last run. Great day.