• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

KustyTheKlown

I came close once at dusk on rte 12A between Randolph and Roxbury. They like to hang out in wet ares I the day and migrant up in the evening. Unlike deer there eyes do not reflect and are very hard to see and then do nor run across roads like deer. They can stand right in the middle of the road for awhile. Take the moose crossing signs seriously, especially at dusk.

yep. it was snowing lightly and i was on a dark country road just before sunrise. i came over a hill and couldn't see the downhill slope until i got to the top. moose standing right in the middle of the road ten feet ahead of me. hit the brakes but couldn't stop fast enough in the fresh snow. flipped the car. terrifying experience. walked along the road for 45 min before the first car, a tanker truck, passed and stopped for me.

teleo

Unfortunately, no. Given the forecast Jester and Downspout probably won’t last. But the real reason is we have to start summer maintenance on Bravo.

Aww bummer. I was betting on snow making it. Reverse traverse? Oh never mind.

teleo

My daughter had a better idea. Make valley house traverse traffic go up if the runout from hg survives, or else make it 2 way traffic. Just a short stroll with little vert.

cdskier

Hah...I like the way your daughter thinks! VHT definitely has a better chance of making it than RT/HGT unless they push snow from VHT onto Upper Snowball or something like that.

I originally had the Reverse traverse idea in my mind too as a way to get to HG without Bravo running (especially since I just did that traverse Saturday morning when Bravo was delayed) but figured there is a good chance that will be wiped out with the weather this week.

cdskier

Great final weekend. I had a blast both Saturday and Sunday.

Here's a few pictures from Saturday.

Snowball:
DSC_0121.jpg

Spring Fling with great coverage:
DSC_0157.jpg

Stein's with excellent coverage:
DSC_0172.jpg

VH Chair fully loaded (hard to believe we were skiing The Mall just 2 weeks before this):
DSC_0231.jpg

Stein's Bumping up:
DSC_0251.jpg

cdskier

And a final parting shot from Monday morning as I was leaving:
DSC_0313.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes it was to start. Fun seeing it go from flat to bumpy as the day goes on.

Yes it is. I remember that. I remember how things looked on Saturday first run and then Sunday in the afternoon. Looked like they had a good run this year. And a longer season than Alta, who also just closed this past weekend.

WinS

Yes it is. I remember that. I remember how things looked on Saturday first run and then Sunday in the afternoon. Looked like they had a good run this year. And a longer season than Alta, who also just closed this past weekend.
Would not have believed it at the end of February but it was a good year. Thanks everyone.

ducky

Exciting new restaurant options coming: Sage (Ana and Paul, owners of Hyde Away) opening at the old Egan's corner of 17/100 and Worthy Burger in the old Home Plate/Jay's opposite Bisbee's. Also, of course, Lawson's Finest. I travel for Worthy Burger's current location in South Royalton just to have Poutin (cheesy fries with gravy) and the Turduckin burger with blue cheese and bacon (turkey, duck, chicken meat), plus they have a very good beer selection and draft root beer.

Lots going on in the Valley currently with the Mad Marathon, Farmer's Market, Art's Festival shows at American Flatbread, Valley Arts, and the amazing Bundy Modern show. Saw the Grift on Friday night, swam in the river, climbed Sunset Rock. Went to the Stowe Balloon Fest last night. All good.

Even though we moved here for the winter, we now love the summer even more.

Hawk

It was in the valley reporter on the 5th. The only problem is the parking there. They do not have enough parking and I would not be surprised if the town does not give them a hard time when it comes to the permitting. We will see.

benski

It was in the valley reporter on the 5th. The only problem is the parking there. They do not have enough parking and I would not be surprised if the town does not give them a hard time when it comes to the permitting. We will see.

Makes sense. It would be ashamed if parking stoped the place from reaching its full potential. A downtown by me, in Croton on Hudson has some parking issue the town refuses to let any permitting without adequate parking despite a lack of solutions to the parking issue so the businesses all suck

ThinkSnow

Exciting new restaurant options coming: Sage (Ana and Paul, owners of Hyde Away) opening at the old Egan's corner of 17/100 and Worthy Burger in the old Home Plate/Jay's opposite Bisbee's. Also, of course, Lawson's Finest. I travel for Worthy Burger's current location in South Royalton just to have Poutin (cheesy fries with gravy) and the Turduckin burger with blue cheese and bacon (turkey, duck, chicken meat), plus they have a very good beer selection and draft root beer.

Lots going on in the Valley currently with the Mad Marathon, Farmer's Market, Art's Festival shows at American Flatbread, Valley Arts, and the amazing Bundy Modern show. Saw the Grift on Friday night, swam in the river, climbed Sunset Rock. Went to the Stowe Balloon Fest last night. All good.

Even though we moved here for the winter, we now love the summer even more.

Hope the new owners got all the water/sewer issues worked out that had kept the building vacant for so long.

HowieT2

sounds like they're ditching more condos at the base for a hotel/conference/spa.

cdskier

My wife would enjoy the spa. Where did you hear/read this news?

It was mentioned towards the end of a recent e-mail that talked about a variety of topics...not particularly sure which mailing list it was part of as it went to one of my e-mail addresses that I don't check as often and not the one I usually receive most of my Sugarbush related e-mails on.

Win also suggested this last year in a video interview with someone (maybe MRV TV?).