• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

skiing noVT on a sunday involves a 6+ hour drive home. i tend to ski noVT saturday, then drive south to rutland or manchester for a cheap hotel, and ski soVT on a sunday.

move to westchester. House next to me just sold to a couple from Brooklyn who said they have 8 other couples from brooklyn who just bought in the area.

mikec142

We had a visit from Glen Plake and his wife Kimberly. What great people and fantastic skiers. Did some runs down Paradise, CR, Cotillion, Middle Earth and the toilet bowl with them and some others. Couldn’t believe how nice everything was and how deep the fresh powder in the woods was. Then, on the runout back to the base I hit a dip and launched. As I caught myself, I tweaked my hamstring. Hadn’t done that since soccer days. Oh well, since there is a lot of season to go, I am going to be smart and miss today’s powder but it is sure looking good on the mountain. Dress warmly this weekend and enjoy our new snow.

Feel better Win. Pretty sure I'm making the solo trip from NJ this weekend. One sick kid, one kid studying for exams and a wife who knows I'll be a PITA if I'm sitting at home watching ski movies.

pinnoke

What do you think, folks...would you say Sugarbush has under-reported the snow totals the past couple of days? Only 12" in past 48 hours? The powder skiing has been fantastic! The wind may be both the reason new snow amounts have been tough to measure, plus partly responsible for the free refills we've been enjoying!

nhskier1969

What do you think, folks...would you say Sugarbush has under-reported the snow totals the past couple of days? Only 12" in past 48 hours? The powder skiing has been fantastic! The wind may be both the reason new snow amounts have been tough to measure, plus partly responsible for the free refills we've been enjoying!

I was curious about that myself. Resorts to the south and north of them were all reporting more snow.

cdskier

Funny...was just talking about that. Haven't seen in person how much they have (damn work!)...but have seen that resorts north and south are all reporting more (including even MRG which I always consider conservative).

Julius

This topic often comes up with our crew. Consensus is a head scratching one at best on how they arrive at those numbers. Who's complaining though..our guess is the lower pow numbers are meant to keep the crowds away to retain more snow for us passholders. Most likely not though.

Last edited:

TSQURD

Skied today. The afternoon snow report is claiming 2" throughout the day. It was snowing pretty good all day, both my buddy and I thought the report was low based on what we saw. Was quite windy which was redistributing the snow, doubt there was much accumulation on the snow stake platform... In any case skiing was incredible today!

20190110 MRT Powder1.jpg

Last edited:

WinS

Not sure how everyone measures or exactly when. The high wind does make it challenging and clearly piles it up deep in a lot of areas, especially the woods. We reported 16” in past 72 hours which we think it accurate. With clippers like we had there can be huge differences among mountains. We measure at LP and ME and MRG could be very different. Regardless, the skiing and riding is superb. Our lift team did a great job yesterday keeping as many lifts going as they did. Bundle up and co e on out.

pinnoke

Thanks, Win. Your updated report of 16" is now consistently-expressed on website...the snow's been so plentiful that I realize it's hard to keep up! Hopefully, you're healing quickly enough to get some personal samples asap!

WinS

Thanks, Win. Your updated report of 16" is now consistently-expressed on website...the snow's been so plentiful that I realize it's hard to keep up! Hopefully, you're healing quickly enough to get some personal samples asap!

Thank you. Going to give it a try this am. Checked our neighbor, MRG, and they reported 16-19” over same period.

Hawk

If you add in the 4-6" we got on Sunday last week and we are looking at over 2 feet in the woods on that hard icy base. Things are looking up. Hope you feel better Win. Lots of people getting hurt this week. A couple of my friends had ACL tears. Not good. Stay safe out there.

HowieT2

If you add in the 4-6" we got on Sunday last week and we are looking at over 2 feet in the woods on that hard icy base. Things are looking up. Hope you feel better Win. Lots of people getting hurt this week. A couple of my friends had ACL tears. Not good. Stay safe out there.

not just that its was 2 feet but the first part of the storm was wet dense and the second half light and fluffy. perfect combination. wish I wasnt stuck at home riding the mtn bike.

jaybird

Skied weds and Thursday. There was absolutely 18" or more. As Win (aka Pele) mentioned, it must've been impossible to get an accurate measurement with the swirling white tornado that spun for >48 hours. The drop-in pillows at some trail entries were thigh deep and most excellent. Many different densities fell this week. It ended up as blower .. hoping Ops was able to work that raw material in.

Get well soon Win !
Looking forward to seeing you out there working that scissor kick :spin:

1dog

Parking

Would it be prudent to open the lower entrance to those looking not to drop off people up top?

Seems even when i try to drop off my little guy to Blazers on good snow weekends I can end up starting back up by Paradise Deli.

If lower entrance was opened to those looking to get on the jitney or walk up, it would prevent back ups - can let them in lower lot and lower lot of D.

Just a thought!

Great weekend this past Thur/Fri/Sat/Sunday

WinS

Would it be prudent to open the lower entrance to those looking not to drop off people up top?

Seems even when i try to drop off my little guy to Blazers on good snow weekends I can end up starting back up by Paradise Deli.

If lower entrance was opened to those looking to get on the jitney or walk up, it would prevent back ups - can let them in lower lot and lower lot of D.

Just a thought!

Great weekend this past Thur/Fri/Sat/Sunday

Unfortunately, no. I think this would not be better. Unfortunately, a lot of people like to arrive at the same time. We have found that the system we are using is the most orderly.

WinS

Skied weds and Thursday. There was absolutely 18" or more. As Win (aka Pele) mentioned, it must've been impossible to get an accurate measurement with the swirling white tornado that spun for >48 hours. The drop-in pillows at some trail entries were thigh deep and most excellent. Many different densities fell this week. It ended up as blower .. hoping Ops was able to work that raw material in.

Get well soon Win !
Looking forward to seeing you out there working that scissor kick :spin:

Thank you. We are out in Taos at the annual winter meeting of the Mountain Collective resorts. First time here and it is an awesome mountain. There is some really good steep terrain that can be accessed both by lifts and hiking. Skied Kachina Peak and the hamstring felt good 😄

benski

Unfortunately, no. I think this would not be better. Unfortunately, a lot of people like to arrive at the same time. We have found that the system we are using is the most orderly.

It seams like the parking team attendants are the issue. Not sure what to do there. The individuals seam to do there job fine but as a team they just aren't fast enough. I saw Alta created a 3+ person a vehicle parking area in one of the closer lots. That might help keep the number of cars more manageable, and maybe the team operate more efficiently if they were split between two parking lots. Maybe a park and ride some where to the north so fewer people drive to the mountain will help.

jaybird

Thank you. We are out in Taos at the annual winter meeting of the Mountain Collective resorts. First time here and it is an awesome mountain. There is some really good steep terrain that can be accessed both by lifts and hiking. Skied Kachina Peak and the hamstring felt good ��

The winter prior to Ernie Blake's passing, we skied Taos in the deepest snow I have ever skied. After a 3 day storm they dug out and were able to get the primary chair running on pony motor. The Albuquerque paper that day was reporting 89" new. We trenched there for 4 days. They avi bombed Kachina and the debris was everywhere. Still, we hiked it and will never forget. Say hello to Rachel. See if she'd be interested in joining your Instructor team. That's one rippin' gal! We'll keep the gate on the house while you're away. Cheers!

Last edited:

1dog

parking flow

It seams like the parking team attendants are the issue. Not sure what to do there. The individuals seam to do there job fine but as a team they just aren't fast enough. I saw Alta created a 3+ person a vehicle parking area in one of the closer lots. That might help keep the number of cars more manageable, and maybe the team operate more efficiently if they were split between two parking lots. Maybe a park and ride some where to the north so fewer people drive to the mountain will help.

Well, understand the load at certain times - but giving cars more options to decrease the load at the 4-way intersection seems prudent.
I have cut in before the conew were removed to park below and take the jit or walk up - didn't cause any problem and was one less car going thru the 'funnel'.

Lowest lot option for 8:30-9:30 seems easy to try, but as I suggested, its just an option. Northeast Americans despise waiting!

( and hey if its not -4 I ski with my little guy from 8-9:30 removing the problem. Many families don't come until ski school starts - causing a forced jam at 9-9:30. Thx for the response Win.

Hawk

Here is a suggestion. If there is a back up to the paradise market, take the golf course road to West Hill to Inferno and you will be at the stop sign in no time. Also Ben, it is not the parking attendants. They do fine. it the tourists in their cars that are the problem. It seems that people are too distracted and can't figure out where or how to park. Also they wait when the person before them pull up and swings the door open and get out right in the way of the next car. Some people are clueless.