• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

rocks860

Well I hate to derail this wonderful discussion but how is next week looking? Should I be concerned about the forecast for later this week? I’ll be heading up on Saturday but not skiing until Sunday at the earliest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk

As of right now this is the latest forecast....Snow - Freezing Rain - Rain - Snow.....Followed by really cold. Take it as you will. I go no matter what happens that way if it is real good I do not miss it.

HowieT2

Well I hate to derail this wonderful discussion but how is next week looking? Should I be concerned about the forecast for later this week? I’ll be heading up on Saturday but not skiing until Sunday at the earliest

I'd be concerned that the surface conditions will not be what they are now, but, that being said, its not like its going to be washout thaw. It is what it is, and it be east coast skiing.

tumbler

Weather's gonna do what it's gonna do, just hoping for some backside snow which always helps tremendously after a thaw/freeze event.

rocks860

I’ve been rather unlucky the last couple years with the week I’ve been up but being there is much better than being at work no matter what. Maybe this is just payback for the blizzard I was there for in March a couple years ago

machski

I’ve been rather unlucky the last couple years with the week I’ve been up but being there is much better than being at work no matter what. Maybe this is just payback for the blizzard I was there for in March a couple years ago

I wouldn't think payback, but this cycle kind of stinks. Heck, many resorts will get what, one or 2 days tops after the storm without wind holds before the liquid comes in. Cruel.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

rocks860

I’m just hoping it stays cold and it leans more snow than rain. It looks like there’s snow forecast next week at least

Julius

Well, stay tuned it's New England. I'll be out in it either way. Today was bluebird ass cold but the groomers offered that nice soft chalky consistency. It was a fierce wind last night, the woods filled in nicely.

ducky

Quite mixed out there today after the wind. Groomers and bump runs somewhat icy, though some good drifts here and there. Woods up at CR, while pleasant and deep, needed very deliberate turn initiation due to wind packing - snow quite dense. Went in Gangsta woods after and, eeck, got out asap. Totally wind-blown, icy, rocks, stumps, - nasty. I guess as VHQ was open Monday there was not much else open so it got skied a lot. On the other hand, The Mall had nice little drifts between smallish bumps. Saw signs of grooming (pre-wind) on Lower Domino and Cotillion and Hi/Lo Road. Beautiful day and good to be out.

Regarding snowmaking and grooming: my wife and I also have Stowe passes (hoping to make business contacts there) and the grooming and snowmaking are no better/no worse than Sugarbush, imo. This may be different in a tougher year, dunno. The vibe at Stowe is decidedly more "corporate". One example is they no longer serve Vermont Artisan coffee (locally owned by a Waterbury family) as all Vail resorts now serve Starbucks. Their social media marketing is no longer Stowe-based reporters but is based in Pennsylvania. Sugarbush feels more authentic and independent, and more friendly, though perhaps not quite as buffed. Both mountains have great terrain - different feel though.

Hope this event passes quickly. Josh Fox reckons more snow is coming next week.

Last edited:

1dog

Public relations

[emoji106]

Its nice, if you're a federal employee out of work, I guess. I'd take it. That said, I'm self-employed, and when we get shut down ( snow - last year 5 days w no business) my co-workers and I don't get paid, don't get news crews there asking 'how are you gonna make it thru?' and of course, we absolutely know we are not getting back pay when the snow clears.

All these guys are gonna see back pay. 23 shutdowns since 1980 and all resolved and all get back pay. I think of it as unplanned vacation.

I know of very few private businesses that operate with ' non-essential' employees. Those few times seem to be when they are supremely profitable and tend to waste a little more stockholders cash. Generally doesn't last more than a few years.

Well, we are all stockholders in the federal government and it's not awash in profits.

Back pay, almost double the private sector pay when figuring in benefits/pensions/etc.

https://www.downsizinggovernment.org/federal-worker-pay

I'm more inclined to see Bush give back with the ME disability program and local families passes and access to school kids programs.

I'd take it if I had access - human nature.

djd66

Its nice, if you're a federal employee out of work, I guess. I'd take it. That said, I'm self-employed, and when we get shut down ( snow - last year 5 days w no business) my co-workers and I don't get paid, don't get news crews there asking 'how are you gonna make it thru?' and of course, we absolutely know we are not getting back pay when the snow clears.

All these guys are gonna see back pay. 23 shutdowns since 1980 and all resolved and all get back pay. I think of it as unplanned vacation.

I know of very few private businesses that operate with ' non-essential' employees. Those few times seem to be when they are supremely profitable and tend to waste a little more stockholders cash. Generally doesn't last more than a few years.

Well, we are all stockholders in the federal government and it's not awash in profits.

Back pay, almost double the private sector pay when figuring in benefits/pensions/etc.

https://www.downsizinggovernment.org/federal-worker-pay

I'm more inclined to see Bush give back with the ME disability program and local families passes and access to school kids programs.

I'd take it if I had access - human nature.

I'm self employed too,... where's the love for me when I have no income?

I do feel bad for the workers trying to make ends meet with no pay check for weeks. They will get back pay though. The people that are getting screwed are the non-government employees or government contractors. No back pay for these people.

Quite honestly, if I were not getting a pay check and were concerned about feeding my family, i would not be off skiing, i would be looking for a job.

skiur

The 10's of thousands of contractors out of work will not be getting paid. Most services are contracted such as janitorial, food service, building maintance etc. All these employees are out of work because of the shut down and will not be getting back pay.

NYDB

I'm self employed too,... where's the love for me when I have no income?

I do feel bad for the workers trying to make ends meet with no pay check for weeks. They will get back pay though. The people that are getting screwed are the non-government employees or government contractors. No back pay for these people.

Quite honestly, if I were not getting a pay check and were concerned about feeding my family, i would not be off skiing, i would be looking for a job.

Some people have their priorities all mixed up.

WinS

Looking at our updated weather report it looks like temperatures will be rising through the night. We may start with some snow and wintry mix and then rain after midnight on the mountain as temps get above freezing. Rain will continue into the morning and we might get 1/2 an inch and hopefully not more, but then the temps start falling late morning with diminishing winds and we could end with 1-3" of snow before it ends. If that happens we will be in good shape. Unlikely to lose much base but the snow quality will depend on the actual outcome. I think the snow in the morning will actually be quite nice but we will see.