• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

CastlerockMRV

ducky

i havent explored slidebrook very much. maybe two runs ever, both starting from LP, and nothing nearly as cool as that long open slide in the video. how access that?

20 minute hike south from ME Summit chair. Very steep and jump turns only with loose rocks getting in at the top. The bottom 3/4 goes quickly then a long semi-flatout back to the fire road. I was on a board and had to pull my way out. Looks better from far away than it is for the 20 seconds of glory.

MorningWoods

I have struggled down from the long trail down to the top of inverness a couple of times. The problem is the woods are real thick in there with evergreens. it was a struggle. I have also gone from the long trail starting at Mt Ellen and found my way to the 19th hole at MRG. That was not bad but you need to make sure the mountain explorer is running. ;-0

Yeah. That’s what I was afraid of. If that rumor was true and about a skin track and some glades down through there that would be very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shredmonkey254

thanks. it looks a little like poma line @ pico.

Its way tighter than PomaLine at Pico! That’s a super highway compared to accessing the slide. Then it's a good little drop to get into the slide. Then you gotta figure out the rest of the jouney when you re-enter the woods, don't forget about that part of the adventure! Good times coming our way soon!!

CastlerockMRV

Yeah. That’s what I was afraid of. If that rumor was true and about a skin track and some glades down through there that would be very cool.

Obviously wishful thinking here, especially now that we live in the days of lawsuits and insurance, but if SB were to do something a la the Angry Beavers of Black Mountain I'm sure their would be plenty of folks willing to lend a few weekends to get something going up there. Throw in a few lift ticket vouchers and you'd have folks lining up to do it. However I know nothing about ski area management so I'm sure there are still plenty of issues such as that the skin track would need to be cut wide enough to get a snowmobile / sled up there which could mean removing stumps, maybe minor blasting, etc.

HowieT2

Obviously wishful thinking here, especially now that we live in the days of lawsuits and insurance, but if SB were to do something a la the Angry Beavers of Black Mountain I'm sure their would be plenty of folks willing to lend a few weekends to get something going up there. Throw in a few lift ticket vouchers and you'd have folks lining up to do it. However I know nothing about ski area management so I'm sure there are still plenty of issues such as that the skin track would need to be cut wide enough to get a snowmobile / sled up there which could mean removing stumps, maybe minor blasting, etc.
some years ago, they used to do that in slidebrook in the summer. Was fun.

WWF-VT

Check out the "Tree Skiing Terrain Prescriptions" in the 2008 Vegetation Management Plan with the USFS and you will get a better understanding of what can and can't be done:

http://www.iabsi.com/ski/sugarbush/2008_Sugarbush_Vegetation Management Plan_With_Figures.pdf

slatham

Check out the "Tree Skiing Terrain Prescriptions" in the 2008 Vegetation Management Plan with the USFS and you will get a better understanding of what can and can't be done:

http://www.iabsi.com/ski/sugarbush/2008_Sugarbush_Vegetation Management Plan_With_Figures.pdf

I often look at that report and dream about some of that terrain. However, just because its on this plan doesn't mean "it can be done". Act 250 still rules as does the forest service. This was a plan by a third party and not approved by any regulatory authority to my knowledge (Win, that correct?).

cdskier

I think the community forum with Win and Alterra management today was pretty positive. Love that Win actually mentioned Alpine Zone! I think a lot of the "right" things were said. The key will be to see if the action over time matches the talk. Obviously there are some important questions some of us have that answers don't exist for yet, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

I think one big takeaway is that snowmaking improvements will definitely be at the top of the capital improvement demand list. I don't think there's any question about that after hearing it repeatedly mentioned multiple times.

Rusty may regret giving out his phone number at the end though!

MorningWoods

I think the community forum with Win and Alterra management today was pretty positive. Love that Win actually mentioned Alpine Zone! I think a lot of the "right" things were said. The key will be to see if the action over time matches the talk. Obviously there are some important questions some of us have that answers don't exist for yet, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

I think one big takeaway is that snowmaking improvements will definitely be at the top of the capital improvement demand list. I don't think there's any question about that after hearing it repeatedly mentioned multiple times.

Rusty may regret giving out his phone number at the end though!

I thought they did a nice job as well. Proof is in the pudding I suppose. It is a sad state of affairs that the primary factor driving capex priorities is climate change, but that is the reality. Working for a large company I understand the comments around capex allocation and how that all works. Hoping that SB continues to get its fair share, because at the end of the day it’s not wins decision anymore.

While I do have a wish list for the future and most of it is winter related. I hope they heard the comments about MTBing. They are way behind IMHO and I thinks it’s costing them summer traffic. That market has increased significantly. Bikes are significantly better and trails are popping up everywhere. Would think that is a much lower cost investment for them. I’d even consider it at ME, make it a summer MTB epi center.

WinS

I often look at that report and dream about some of that terrain. However, just because its on this plan doesn't mean "it can be done". Act 250 still rules as does the forest service. This was a plan by a third party and not approved by any regulatory authority to my knowledge (Win, that correct?).

Yes, that is correct.

machski

I thought they did a nice job as well. Proof is in the pudding I suppose. It is a sad state of affairs that the primary factor driving capex priorities is climate change, but that is the reality. Working for a large company I understand the comments around capex allocation and how that all works. Hoping that SB continues to get its fair share, because at the end of the day it’s not wins decision anymore.

While I do have a wish list for the future and most of it is winter related. I hope they heard the comments about MTBing. They are way behind IMHO and I thinks it’s costing them summer traffic. That market has increased significantly. Bikes are significantly better and trails are popping up everywhere. Would think that is a much lower cost investment for them. I’d even consider it at ME, make it a summer MTB epi center.

If you are talking cross country mountain biking around the lowest elevations and valley, then yes, it could be low cost. If you are talking lift served, DH mountain biking, that is no low cost investment. To do it right you need machine built trails, specialized carriers on the lifts and the upkeep of said trails after they are built is more than you might imagine. And it has to be right location and marketed correctly.

Case in point, Sunday River. They closed the bike park this year and it is done. Never marketed right, terrain is actually a bit too steep here for good easier to intermediate flowy trails making the park loaded with advanced and above trails that were not conducive to learning and progression. They did allow self climb this year but in just one winter with zero spring trail maintenance, many of the trails had gone to junk and some were impassable.

And in Vermont, Killington is already a huge bike magnet. They have definitely spent quite a bit of $$ to get it there too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

I listened to the meeting on FB, all good stuff discussed. I felt before this went through and Sugarbush were to be merged and still do, Alterra was the one company I'd want to see them in. As many have noted, talk is cheap and action speaks louder than words, but I do believe Alterra will allow Sugarbush to stay Sugarbush. Understanding Alterra as a company is still just in its infancy and things can and do change as businesses mature, but their foundations for the brand and values seem strong and are a good match for Sugarbush. Overall I am optimistic about it's future, with a bit of trepidation to see what full Ikon integration looks like next season on the hill.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Case in point, Sunday River. They closed the bike park this year and it is done. Never marketed right, terrain is actually a bit too steep here for good easier to intermediate flowy trails making the park loaded with advanced and above trails that were not conducive to learning and progression.

Pretty typical. It's a lot easier (and safer!) to ski steep stuff than bike down it IMO even with specialized gear ie 10" dual suspension and giant brakes.

I've downhilled at Mt Snow, Killington, Plattekill and Jiminy Peak and Mt Snow seemed to have the most trails that weren't literally death defying. At Plattekill my bike barely survived in functional condition and there were some pretty spectacular wipe-outs among our crew. From what I hear Berkshire East has put together a really nice network of downhill trails and surrounding XC trails, I guess kind of like Burke and Kingdom Trails.

STREETSKIER

What was skiing like today? I saw on the cams gate house looked more popular