• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

nhskier1969

I couldn't imagine what it would be like at 10 degree weather, stuck on the lift for a couple of hours during a lift evac.

WinS

Yes, the small busses are always packed and stop at every single place along the way.

The routes are back to what they were two years ago and hopefully we will have the big bus running consistently on weekends and holidays.

rtjcbrown

I saw that The Garrison has new owners and will get a major facelift. That place has been stuck in the 70s since the 80s, but has so much potential.

cdskier

Ok back to skiing it was the best day yet and tomorrow will be same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking forward to it. I’ll be out tomorrow for my 3rd day of the season. After that won’t be back until the 2nd week of December.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Slidebrook87

From the webcams, skiing looks pretty good. I'll see how it is next weekend. I imagine that pushover will be skiing better than Spring Fling, but we'll see.

crazy

I can't wait to ski at Sugarbush later on this season. Win and the team have done an excellent job running the place. Happy that, if it has to be sold, Alterra is the buyer. They're cut from a different cloth than Vail. They will recognize and keep what makes Sugarbush special. Win, keep up the great work. Happy that you are staying on and helping with the transition. Cheers to a great season.

smac75

I saw that The Garrison has new owners and will get a major facelift. That place has been stuck in the 70s since the 80s, but has so much potential.

Same people that bought the Golden Lion. Ever stay at the Garrison? That place was a fire trap! I remember climbing those skinny wooden stairs at the back all the way to the top level. It was the only way up or down from that top floor room. Creepy!!

cdskier

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Same people that bought the Golden Lion. Ever stay at the Garrison? That place was a fire trap! I remember climbing those skinny wooden stairs at the back all the way to the top level. It was the only way up or down from that top floor room. Creepy!!

Pretty small world. They happen to be neighbors back in NJ with one of my coworkers. I knew they had bought something else in the valley a while ago, but only found out this week when I saw the valley reporter article that it was the garrison.

Last edited:

WinS

I can't wait to ski at Sugarbush later on this season. Win and the team have done an excellent job running the place. Happy that, if it has to be sold, Alterra is the buyer. They're cut from a different cloth than Vail. They will recognize and keep what makes Sugarbush special. Win, keep up the great work. Happy that you are staying on and helping with the transition. Cheers to a great season.
Thank you and will do!

ericfromMA/NH/VT

Hi all, new member to the forum, I am heading up to sugarbush with the family on thanksgiving, I'll post a report after. Hopefully the rain on wednesday doesn't mess things up too badly. we will be skiing all the terrain that's open.

Hi Win, great to see you are active here. I spent 3 years living in VT, we look forward to coming back to VT and to SB every year! One of my best memories is skiing from the top of both peaks at SB with my kids ( 7 and 9 at the time ) for the first time last year. they skied the blues great and we got some awesome family pics from the summits. Good luck going forward!

On the subject of Slidebrook: me and my kids love it. It scares the bejeezus out of my wife, especially the long descent. we call it the slow motion roller coaster. It just seems easier to jump on that than schelping on the bus, but maybe I'll try that this year.

Thanks all, I hope everyone has a great and safe season!

bdfreetuna

Hi all, new member to the forum, I am heading up to sugarbush with the family on thanksgiving, I'll post a report after. Hopefully the rain on wednesday doesn't mess things up too badly. we will be skiing all the terrain that's open.

Hi Win, great to see you are active here. I spent 3 years living in VT, we look forward to coming back to VT and to SB every year! One of my best memories is skiing from the top of both peaks at SB with my kids ( 7 and 9 at the time ) for the first time last year. they skied the blues great and we got some awesome family pics from the summits. Good luck going forward!

On the subject of Slidebrook: me and my kids love it. It scares the bejeezus out of my wife, especially the long descent. we call it the slow motion roller coaster. It just seems easier to jump on that than schelping on the bus, but maybe I'll try that this year.

Slidebrook lift should have had a 2-way midstation for uploading at the bottom, huh?

Haven't skied it yet but I guess Alterra can credit me for that ingenious idea later.

WinS

Welcome back. We will have to see what Wednesday brings. Looks like rain (maybe .4-.6") changing over to snow late on Wednesday. There does not appear to be an inversion so we could see snow starting earlier on the summits and working its way down. Snowmaking temps look like they return early Thursday and stay decent for a few days, but early to tell when we can get more terrain in shape to open. Hopefully sometime over the weekend. Nice soft snow today and tomorrow. The Swiss women are not liking that, but everyone else is.

machski

Slidebrook lift should have had a 2-way midstation for uploading at the bottom, huh?

Haven't skied it yet but I guess Alterra can credit me for that ingenious idea later.
Too bad for your idea any type of lift served skiing in Slidebrook is D.O.A. That is why it doesn't have a ski to midstation.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

djd66

It will never happen. I'm not going to lie,... it would be awesome.

pinnoke

The early skiing has been very enjoyable. Fun and soft snow conditions, and some delightful sunshine these past couple of days (Saturday being the exception). Don't let the snow report lead you to believe otherwise. Those of us who have taken advantage of the opportunity for early lift-served turns have been rewarded! Wednesday's later-afternoon weather may actually result in the "wet" snow conditions reported the past couple of afternoons. However, we'll bounce back soon after that as winter settles in for good (hopefully)!

Last edited:

cdskier

The early skiing has been very enjoyable. Fun and soft snow conditions, and some delightful sunshine these past couple of days (Saturday being the exception). Don't let the snow report lead you to believe otherwise. Those of us who have taken advantage of the opportunity for early lift-served turns have been rewarded! Wednesday's later-afternoon weather may actually result in the "wet" snow conditions reported the past couple of afternoons. However, we'll bounce back soon after that as winter settles in for good (hopefully)!

Agreed. Started off with some nice groomed cord first thing this morning and transitioned to nice soft snow as the sun hit the trails.
IMG_5601.jpg
IMG_5602.jpg

ericfromMA/NH/VT

looking at the NWS forecast, my biggest worry is the wind....gust to 40 mph....crap...but they may get 3-5 inches of new snow wednesday night...how does the wind effect the gatehouse and valley house lifts? are they low enough on the mountain to be protected at all? I've never been there on a windy day.

Shredmonkey254

Wondering if anyone has ever skied every single trail at Sugarbush in one day. It's something that crossed my mind last night while driving home from a nice afternoon of spring skiing. Think it's something to try this winter to shake things up.