• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Slidebrook87

Wondering if anyone has ever skied every single trail at Sugarbush in one day. It's something that crossed my mind last night while driving home from a nice afternoon of spring skiing. Think it's something to try this winter to shake things up.

That would be extremely hard, especially considering that you would have to ski all the condo access trails.

WinS

Wondering if anyone has ever skied every single trail at Sugarbush in one day. It's something that crossed my mind last night while driving home from a nice afternoon of spring skiing. Think it's something to try this winter to shake things up.

I know of at least one who has. There are two ways of thinking about this. One is touching a bit of multiple trails on one lift ride like Murphy’s, Birdland, lower organ grinder, jester, lower downspout, coffee run, spring fling. Or you could make the challenge only one trail every lift ride.

cdskier

looking at the NWS forecast, my biggest worry is the wind....gust to 40 mph....crap...but they may get 3-5 inches of new snow wednesday night...how does the wind effect the gatehouse and valley house lifts? are they low enough on the mountain to be protected at all? I've never been there on a windy day.

So many variables with the wind. Different directions impact different lifts. Every lift at some point as long as I’ve skied here has experienced a wind hold. But I’ve seen plenty of times that forecasts don’t materialize so I try not to worry about it too much until it actually happens.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

That would be extremely hard, especially considering that you would have to ski all the condo access trails.

All 3 of them? Out to lunch goes right back to the mountain. Cats meow still lets you easily get back to the lifts. Village run is the only one that dumps you further away from any lifts. So just do it last.

Slidebrook87

All 3 of them? Out to lunch goes right back to the mountain. Cats meow still lets you easily get back to the lifts. Village run is the only one that dumps you further away from any lifts. So just do it last.

Yeah I was mainly thinking of Village Run. In order to do it, you’d have to be strategic and able to ski tough trails like Middle Earth and Rumble.

nhskier1969

I know of at least one who has. There are two ways of thinking about this. One is touching a bit of multiple trails on one lift ride like Murphy’s, Birdland, lower organ grinder, jester, lower downspout, coffee run, spring fling. Or you could make the challenge only one trail every lift ride.

Something else to try at SB which my family and I did it one day is to start on Inverness Quad and hit every upper mtn lift from right to left without going to the base until you finish up on snowball to lower snowball.

Slidebrook87

Something else to try at SB which my family and I did it one day is to start on Inverness Quad and hit every upper mtn lift from right to left without going to the base until you finish up on snowball to lower snowball.

So Inverness, North Ridge, Summit, Slide Brook, North Lynx, Castlerock, and Heaven’s Gate. That would be the order that you would ride them in.

Slidebrook87

I heard that RFID scanners were installed at all upper mountain lifts. I have not seen them yet. Is that rumor or fact?

I have heard from Win that they are installing RFID gates on all lifts. The reason for this is to receive more data as to what lifts skiers are riding most. I’m very curious to hear about some of this data. I predict that most people are scanned at Super Bravo and Gate House with GMX probably being second. I’m surprised more people don’t ride North Ridge than GMX. It is a much better way to ski Mt. Ellen as you don’t have to ski the long runout to GMX.

WinS

I heard that RFID scanners were installed at all upper mountain lifts. I have not seen them yet. Is that rumor or fact?

We got a great deal. Sunapee had brand new ones and Vail does not use them. Our plan is to install them on all lifts so we can track usage and develop an APP like Epic Mix that allows one to see their vertical. This is also a safety feature to see where one rode last in case one goes missing. This year, we only had time to get them on a couple of lifts (CR and NR). Next year we will have them on all.

We learned a lot then we installed them a couple of years ago. For instance how many were riding the Welcome Mat and Village which led to our decision to try to open the GH and Welcome Mat early this year. Last Saturday we had 150 on the Welcome Mat for instance and our First Time program is full this weekend.

Investment is technology is another thing that I believe Alterra will help us with.

Howitzer

We got a great deal. Sunapee had brand new ones and Vail does not use them. Our plan is to install them on all lifts so we can track usage and develop an APP like Epic Mix that allows one to see their vertical. This is also a safety feature to see where one rode last in case one goes missing. This year, we only had time to get them on a couple of lifts (CR and NR). Next year we will have them on all.

We learned a lot then we installed them a couple of years ago. For instance how many were riding the Welcome Mat and Village which led to our decision to try to open the GH and Welcome Mat early this year. Last Saturday we had 150 on the Welcome Mat for instance and our First Time program is full this weekend.

Investment is technology is another thing that I believe Alterra will help us with.

Happy Thanksgiving. Doesn't the Ikon Pass App have this tracking available in an app format? I understand the user needs to have tracking enabled and the app on so the gates provide user data for all guests.

Slidebrook87

Great to hear about all the benefits of this. I didn’t realize that you were getting them from Sunapee. It’s a shame got rid of RFID at a lot of their resorts. When I skied Whistler last year they still had RFID made by SkiData. Slide Brook could use more than one gate only on the Ellen side. A lot of the times I rode it last year they weren’t even using it because the lines were too long to file through one gate. It will be cool to see how many people ride Castlerock as it’s not exactly a mainstream trail pod...

WinS

Pretty sure it will. I expect Super Bravo and possibly Heaven’s Gate to be spinning by tomorrow or Sunday.

Please don't project from a distance. We will not know until we ski it this morning and see how it is filling in. We will open when there is sufficient depth across trails. We do not want to open Downspout with the land guns running. That is a horrible experience and would prefer to be done since we have other terrain available. Saturday is unlikely. Sunday maybe but we won't know until later today. However, the temps are staying down, so next weekend we should really have some good terrain expansion.

WinS

I was just predicting based off of a previous comment of Win.

The rain the other day did more damage that we thought. We think it is going to take another two full days of snowmaking to get Jester, Valley Traverse and Downspout done with a sufficient depth. We will likely let it sit and cure for a couple of days before grooming it out which will take a few shifts with the winch on Downspout. It we do is correctly, it is set up well for the year. We are next going to use the temps in the forecast to get to the bottom from Heaven's Gate and also most likely finishing off Lower Grinder next. By next weekend we should have too ways to the bottom and Bravo and Heaven's gate running. Fingers crossed for Sunday. Hopefully, it will come a bit more Northerly.