• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what it might take to get some of the natural trails opened back up. Doesn't look like anything major is in the forecast, but I'm betting some rounds of upslope set up between now and the weekend. Just concerned if it will be enough to reopen things like Twist/Moonshine, Mall or Spills. How close was Castlerock before the weekend warmup? Keeping my reservation for the weekend for now, but would rather not burn days if it's just gonna be a groomer fest.

Spills was reopened today. As was organgrinder, Murphy’s and upper birdland on all natural. Of course it is just a tiny bit of powder on top of frozen bumps and/or bare ground at the moment...so may not be worth skiing to everyone.

To make them a bit more enjoyable we’ll need some snow. Hoping we do get more than forecast over the next few days as I’m definitely reaching my limit of skiing mostly groomers all day. While I did ski OG and Murphy’s today, didn’t think either was worth more than 1 run. That’s me though. I’m sure someone out there would lap them.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

1dog

Saturday ended up being pretty good. The heavy rain let up in the morning and it ended up being soft and fun. Nice to ski without any crowds to speak of and we did many laps covering all open terrain. And some not so open. ;-) Great apre with all locals and pass holders. The sugar bash without the grift ended up being surprisingly great. lots of dancing and good times. Highlight for me was Franklin's Tower.

Sunday was very firm and fast. We bugged out after about 10 runs. The few trails that were open were very populated. This weekend will be a 3 dayer. Hope mother nature is kind to us.

Started at 12:30 Sunday - snowing pretty hard all day at the house - more on the hill- softer and silkier than I imagined - skied to 4 PM and it was still soft - only scratch was lower Organ - and some under GH lift.

Much better than anticipated and more snow than reported ( 3")

Outside of Blazers there were few on the hill so that made it great - even Jester - usually boring for me - skied very well.

Still, we need a foot or two - snow next day or two and no above freezing temps for a week ahead.

Greg

Staff member
Spills was reopened today. As was organgrinder, Murphy’s and upper birdland on all natural. Of course it is just a tiny bit of powder on top of frozen bumps and/or bare ground at the moment...so may not be worth skiing to everyone.

Thanks for the update! That's promising and worth it to me! Hoping the midweek events over-deliver and something materializes for Saturday into Sunday. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

Slidebrook87

I was wondering, is there a trick to ski Murphey’s? I always hate the fall line that makes you “fight” the trail the whole way down. Never liked it as much as trails like Domino.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

I was wondering, is there a trick to ski Murphey’s? I always hate the fall line that makes you “fight” the trail the whole way down. Never liked it as much as trails like Domino.

Care to elaborate? I have absolutely no idea what you mean. I’ve never felt like I had to fight anything on Murphy’s and can ski any number of lines that I want on it.

Slidebrook87

Care to elaborate? I have absolutely no idea what you mean. I’ve never felt like I had to fight anything on Murphy’s and can ski any number of lines that I want on it.

Essentially what happens is I want to ski down the middle of it at a decent pace, but instead, to stay in the middle of the trail, I have to angle my tips towards the skiers right side of the trail. This slows down my speed and just makes it a forgettable trail in my opinion. It’s almost like the whole trail is on an angle if you know what I mean.

Greg

Staff member
It’s almost like the whole trail is on an angle if you know what I mean.

Referred to as a double fall line. Like any other terrain that's "uncomfortable", just keep at it and it will come easier over time.

cdskier

Essentially what happens is I want to ski down the middle of it at a decent pace, but instead, to stay in the middle of the trail, I have to angle my tips towards the skiers right side of the trail. This slows down my speed and just makes it a forgettable trail in my opinion. It’s almost like the whole trail is on an angle if you know what I mean.

Yea, like Greg said it has a bit of a double fall line, but I’ve never felt it was that much of one that changes the way I need to ski it. When conditions are good I like that trail. Actually I personally really like it early season when it has enough natural to open before they make snow on it. Last December it had a lot of fun smallish all natural moguls. Once they make snow on it and start grooming it, it tends to get wind blown very easily and I find it less interesting.

tumbler

Never really been a fan of Murphy’s “Glades”. I like Birdland much better.

Slidebrook87

Can’t wait to ski Ellen. Lincoln is nice, but gets a bit boring after skiing it for awhile. Hoping for a big dump towards the end of the month to get Slide Brook open earlier than MLK weekend. Any idea what terrain we’ll see on Ellen’s opening day? I remember that Summit opened last during last ski season.

thetrailboss

Staff member

There’s a lot of double fall-line stuff at Sugarbush. It makes for good technical expert terrain IMHO.

Hawk

I love Murphy's and ski it all the time. There is no defined "way" to ski it. Sometimes I ski it far left on the tree line. Some times far right. Some times Right down zee middle!

Slidebrook87

I think that double fall line trails ski much better when they have natural snow and are bumped up. When Murphey’s is groomed, it’s really hard to get a good rhythm going for your turns.

Hawk

Murphys is usually only groomed on one side. The left side. it is seldom groomed on the right. Just ski it and move around. you will find something you like.

Julius

.. Sometimes I ski it far left on the tree line. Some times far right. Some times Right down zee middle!

Ha,..nice. Murphs has a little for everyone. I love dropping in hard skiers left (with a little speed from bravo lift) and stay left as usually holds the sluff best. Certainly a fun one..

(couple nice pics looking down Murphs skiers left, 2nd pic is looking up still smiling)
e0e6a8e6dac5b7162934f021917e3998.jpg
af1e8b8611213063526344dd764fd7b7.jpg

-Sent via Tapatalk

El Bishop

Win, it looks like it's going to stay cold through new years (knock on wood). Does the snowmaking plan include Steins and Ripcord, which seem to be a bit behind schedule. It would be GREAT to get those online for the holiday week. Thanks!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Personally, Murphy's is one of my favorites on LP. I also like Birdland. Lower Birdland is interesting. I remember when ASC used to try to cover it with tons of snowmaking. Never seemed to work.