• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

When I do ski it, it is almost always skiers left too

Hah. I actually usually prefer skiers right on Murphy’s since it is never groomed. Nice low angle bumps that sometimes can catch the snow blown off the middle of the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Greg

Staff member
Can’t wait to ski Ellen. Lincoln is nice, but gets a bit boring after skiing it for awhile.

Amazing how perceptions differ. I'm the complete opposite. If everything is open, I can't see getting bored of LP. Ellen has some great skiing, but I find myself usually only skiing there for a few hours before wanting to go back to south. Anything below the north ridge chair is hardly worth skiing IMO.

rocks860

I usually prefer skiers left of Murphy’s, especially when the snow is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawk

Amazing how perceptions differ. I'm the complete opposite. If everything is open, I can't see getting bored of LP. Ellen has some great skiing, but I find myself usually only skiing there for a few hours before wanting to go back to south. Anything below the north ridge chair is hardly worth skiing IMO.

There are so many Mt Ellen people out there. I like Mt Ellen but only to visit. I much prefer to have my place over at Lincoln village.

Slidebrook87

For me, I spend so much time at Lincoln that it’s like a fresh breath of air skiing over there. I also like how it gets so sunny. At Ellen I can eat at Walt’s, but at Lincoln I have to eat in a cafeteria. Mid season I do some early runs at Lincoln and ride Slide Brook over, have lunch, ski, then head back at 3:00. I immediately go to the summit and wait up top until Heaven’s Gate has shut down for the day.

mikec142

Hah. I actually usually prefer skiers right on Murphy’s since it is never groomed. Nice low angle bumps that sometimes can catch the snow blown off the middle of the trail.

I love this thread simply for the differences in how people view things. I like Murphy's a lot. Even though the "glade" is barely there at this point, I love that there are trees in the middle of the trail that you can ski in (same thing with Sleeper). That said, to me, skiers right always looks more appealing (bumps, etc.) but I rarely ski Murphy's on a powder day so the skier's right is often pretty scratchy and thus I prefer the groomed part on skier's left. I can totally see the appeal of Murphy's skier's right on a snow day and will make it a point to try it, but my first choice when fresh snow is on the ground is Castlerock.

Hawk

I ski the whole mountain. On trail, off trail, between the trails, off the side of the resort, behind the resort, everywhere. I have no favorites. Where I am skiing is my favorite run at that particular point in time. That way it is always really fun. I am not a fan of any particular place. I am a fan of Sugarbush as a whole. I certainly do not want to waste time or energy wanting or waiting for some particular area to open because it is all good. Isn't it?

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I've never been a big fan of Murphy's. Don't know why, but I've had more bad times on that trail than good times. Past couple seasons, I've enjoyed the left side better. But given the option, I'll take Birdland over Murph's any day.

nhskier1969

Can’t wait to ski Ellen. Lincoln is nice, but gets a bit boring after skiing it for awhile. Hoping for a big dump towards the end of the month to get Slide Brook open earlier than MLK weekend. Any idea what terrain we’ll see on Ellen’s opening day? I remember that Summit opened last during last ski season.

I was there for opening day, I think it was two years ago. It was -19 below and the mountain picked up something crazy like 6 feet of snow in December. Exterminator that day skied bottomless, what a great feeling.

WinS

Win, it looks like it's going to stay cold through new years (knock on wood). Does the snowmaking plan include Steins and Ripcord, which seem to be a bit behind schedule. It would be GREAT to get those online for the holiday week. Thanks!

Yes. we have been taking advantage of the colder temperatures getting the lower part of the mountain completed. Today, we have moved to Lower Snowball and Racer’s Edge and putting finishing touches on Easy Rider. These next two days should get it done and then we will move up. With Towers those trails can be skied with snowmaking going. ME will have much of it open but not sure all natural trails will have enough snow, but we will see tomorrow after tonight’s snowfall.

shipyardcreek

I skied that day. The snow was so cold it was like skiing in sand. I had waxed for Saturday's conditions. On Sunday it was over 40 deg. and raining.

WinS

They just finished lighting it up within the past hour or so.

Yes, decided to move there first with the cold lower elevation temps. Easy Rider should be in good shape by tomorrow afternoon. We do have a curtailment tomorrow from 5-9pm so will be shut down. Maybe another on Friday. It takes a few hours to come down and another few to restart, so a lot of production hours get lost. We have decided to move the land gear from Hot Shot and Sleeper up to North Lynx and focus there over the weekend with that area closed. Then we will have it for next week when we can finish first wave of snowmaking with Birdland, Murphy’s, Ripcord and Organgrinder. Another nice squalls is producing a couple of more inches of snow this afternoon.

djd66

Yes, decided to move there first with the cold lower elevation temps. Easy Rider should be in good shape by tomorrow afternoon. We do have a curtailment tomorrow from 5-9pm so will be shut down. Maybe another on Friday. It takes a few hours to come down and another few to restart, so a lot of production hours get lost. We have decided to move the land gear from Hot Shot and Sleeper up to North Lynx and focus there over the weekend with that area closed. Then we will have it for next week when we can finish first wave of snowmaking with Birdland, Murphy’s, Ripcord and Organgrinder. Another nice squalls is producing a couple of more inches of snow this afternoon.

Is the curtailment due to energy use restrictions? How often does that happen during the year?

slatham

Good questions. Curious myself. I imagine those are peak hours for usage.

Yes my understanding is that based on contract with GMP under certain circumstances - major cold wave - at set times they have to reduce or eliminate snowmaking power consumption. By definition this occurs during optimal snowmaking conditions. I believe they can opt out but at a very high price.