• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

skiur

my recollection is they have had these power curtailments for as long as I can remember.

a bit firm out there today, except off gatehouse. Sleeper was like spring conditions. Forecast looking good.

I've often wondered about the power curtailments as well. Killington does not have these so why does sugarbush have them only an hour up the road?

Slidebrook87

Just saw the 2-20” prediction for snow. Does that mean we could possibly seeing Slide Brook running in about a week or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

I've often wondered about the power curtailments as well. Killington does not have these so why does sugarbush have them only an hour up the road?

An hour away is a big difference. Wasn't Killington previously covered by CVPS before the merger with GMP? So the grids/infrastructure covering the MRV vs K could be vastly different. Even if they had both been from the same company, the grids could still be significantly more robust in the K area since it is a much more populated area than the MRV. I've always wondered though if other ski areas had curtailments as well or whether it was just something to do with a lack of capacity specifically within the MRV.

In general though I will say I have heard in other areas/industries of power companies requesting reduced power consumption from some of their larger commercial customers during periods of peak demand.

cdskier

I guess this could be evidence for why ski report verbiage is useless...

To be fair, it was an intentional play at saying "we really have no idea what we're getting so we're giving a big range to cover everything".

WinS

They do now as part of GMP.

bigbob

An hour away is a big difference. Wasn't Killington previously covered by CVPS before the merger with GMP? So the grids/infrastructure covering the MRV vs K could be vastly different. Even if they had both been from the same company, the grids could still be significantly more robust in the K area since it is a much more populated area than the MRV. I've always wondered though if other ski areas had curtailments as well or whether it was just something to do with a lack of capacity specifically within the MRV.

In general though I will say I have heard in other areas/industries of power companies requesting reduced power consumption from some of their larger commercial customers during periods of peak demand.

Killington is tied into the Cow Power grid, plenty of juice

WinS

You are correct. This is the rate agreement that industrial clients have with GMP and has been this way as long as we have owned Sugarbush.

Hawk

Honestly, Win has always said that they need enough snow to run equipment out to the far reaches of slidebrook in case of evac. there is zero snow on the ground. even if it snowed 20" it would have be packed in and the water bars filled. So I doubt that would happen any time soon.

Slidebrook87

Just curious, how difficult would it be to spend $25,000-$50,000 in providing better access to the Slide Brook liftline? This would ensure a reliable connection between both mountains most days of the days that Mt. Ellen is open. Up until somewhere 2004, evacuation of Slide Brook was disregarded. $50,000 to make a lift a heck of a lot more reliable would be worth it in the long run. I understand that the lift operations department makes choices about when to run lifts, but if Alterra were to invest in this and provide yearly evacuation trainings, the lift could run a lot more than it currently does.

One of the main reasons that I originally wanted to ski Sugarbush was the fact of how big it was and two unique mountains could be skied in one day by only a short lift ride. When I got to Sugarbush however, I was disappointed to see that I had to take a bus instead. I schlepped my ski gear down to the parking lot and waited 15 minutes for a bus (it arrived about 10 minutes late). I had to wait inside the bus for about 10 more minutes waiting for other people. The bus ride took another 10 minutes until I was finally at Mt. Ellen. In this time I could’ve ridden SlideBrook 3 times.

It may seem odd to you why I like Slide Brook so much, but when I’m up skiing for one day, I want to be able to ski both mountains in a quick and efficient manner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk