• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

We are headed to Zermatt next Thursday and will be there for a week. Doing sit down lunches at Chez Vrony and Zum See as well as a few dinners in town and plans to hit the big Apres spots like Hennu Stall, Papperla Pub, etc.

Any advice on good terrain? I've heard good things about the Stokhorn area and have a few other notes in a Google doc but Zermatt is so massive and the Euro's seem to be extra groomer-centric.
Castlerock, you sound like an adventurous type from your postings on here so I know you will love this place. I skied around a few place in Europe and Zermatt is easily the most aesthetic place I have ever been. I have a wealth of info. In short get a guide, especially if there is not a lot of new fresh snow. They know were to find it. Bring your avalanche transverse and gear.
- Rothhorn - Take the tram to the top and ski the front face down. there are Several really good routes. Cross trail # 9 and ski the woods all the way down to the bottom of the Patrullarve lift. Don't worry you cant get lost and there are no cliffs. There are many options.
- Stockhorn - Take the GANT - HOHTÄLLI tram to the top. Two options: from there take the ROTE NASE tram across and ski that ridge all the way down or take trail 28 from the tram and drop off to the right. You will see the tracks. do not worry as it will send you back to the lift.
- When you are at Chez Veroni look across and you will see a wall of north facing woods. Ski that!
- From the top of Schwarzee, ski the north face towards the Hirli lift and bear to the right. There are shoots and woods there and it all ends up on the traverse back to Firi. All Good.
There is snow in your long range forecast so hopefully it is good. You want between 6-12 inches. Big storms shut the mountain down for days with Avi control.
Advice - Go early in the morning or go late. Between 9 and 10 at the bottow is a shit show.
When you leave the Hennu Stall, at the bottom pitch with the speed control gate, look to the Left. You will see new Chalets Flamma, Terra and Aqua. We stayed in Aqua.
Let me know if you need any other info. Have a good trip.

CastlerockMRV

This is great intel, thank you for sharing! Those Schwarzee routes you mentioned came up during my searches and I was pretty high on them b/c it looks like my buddy and I could ski them and still meet the fiance at the same lift if she wants to take a more civilized route down.

WWF-VT

What happened to this so called storm? Sugarbush is saying 2". Looks like it totally crapped out.
Too bad.

Mad River Glen snow reports says "Overnight the mountain received another 1-2” of snow bringing the 24 hour total up to 4-6”.

CastlerockMRV

Much better, thanks. Do you use it with a subscription? Seems to work in basic sat map without.

On this subject, anyone notice that the one for SB had a bunch of stuff added to it? Can whoever is doing that please chill out? MRG doesn't even have the least-secret-secret-stash-of-all-time 20th Hole listed on theirs.

Good news for SB is that there's also a few BS lines on ours and plenty of stuff that isn't mapped, but at the same time I worry some 10 day per year skier is gonna break a leg when he decides to drop into "The Saddle" during his hike to Castlerock next year.

I'm also fully aware that I'm being a bit of a hypocrite in saying all this b/c it's a resource I check out every time I visit a new resort on a ski vacation ... but at least I can see almost all those lines from the lift right?! Right? Right?!!

Slidebrook87

This weekend and early next week aren’t looking good for the base. Upper mountain should be fine though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdskier

On this subject, anyone notice that the one for SB had a bunch of stuff added to it? Can whoever is doing that please chill out?

If you click on the "trail" you can see the name of the person that added it (or maybe last edited it...not sure exactly how it works if multiple people are involved). Some pretty well known ones aren't there, and I'd say a good majority of what is on the map are known anyway. But I do understand your point. Hard to keep this stuff secret for too long though with all these "Crowd sourced" maps nowadays...

WinS

Just curious, why are Summit and Slide Brook run so slow? Inverness runs much faster than Summit even though they were both built the same year and have the same components. Slide Brook isn’t really slow, but considering it could go 1,100, I’m surprised it doesn’t run at at least 950. It seems to run at about 900. It’s a 13 minute ride at 900 and 10 minutes at 1,100. 13 minutes isn’t too bad, but just curious to hear the reasoning behind this.

We knew that you were riding Slidebrook, so we slowed it down to see if you would time it running only 900 feet per minute...........
Just kidding, it normally runs around 1.000. On day last week the lift was run a bit slower because of the off-ramp being a bit slick. Iverness and Summit should be running about the same speed. There are a number of reason why any given lift would be slowed down,

Hawk

On this subject, anyone notice that the one for SB had a bunch of stuff added to it? Can whoever is doing that please chill out? MRG doesn't even have the least-secret-secret-stash-of-all-time 20th Hole listed on theirs.

Good news for SB is that there's also a few BS lines on ours and plenty of stuff that isn't mapped, but at the same time I worry some 10 day per year skier is gonna break a leg when he decides to drop into "The Saddle" during his hike to Castlerock next year.

I'm also fully aware that I'm being a bit of a hypocrite in saying all this b/c it's a resource I check out every time I visit a new resort on a ski vacation ... but at least I can see almost all those lines from the lift right?! Right? Right?!!

The kids name is Ryan Delena. He has a whole youtube site. My guess is he has a big look at me complex. I am not a fan if posting all the places that are not on the map. This has been completely debated on here. At least he hasn't posted the best stuff. Whatever. you can't fix stupid.

Hawk

If you click on the "trail" you can see the name of the person that added it (or maybe last edited it...not sure exactly how it works if multiple people are involved). Some pretty well known ones aren't there, and I'd say a good majority of what is on the map are known anyway. But I do understand your point. Hard to keep this stuff secret for too long though with all these "Crowd sourced" maps nowadays...
At this point it is not about keeping a secret. It is about keeping the numbers down. You just have to look at Bear Claw and Gangstas to see what has happened. Those runs get skied to the dirt, rocks and stumps and never recover anymore. I mean if you are aware enough to find these things then enjoy. But what is the point of saying "Hey World look at this". You are only ruining it for yourself.

cdskier

At this point it is not about keeping a secret. It is about keeping the numbers down. You just have to look at Bear Claw and Gangstas to see what has happened. Those runs get skied to the dirt, rocks and stumps and never recover anymore. I mean if you are aware enough to find these things then enjoy. But what is the point of saying "Hey World look at this". You are only ruining it for yourself.

Yea...I've never been a fan of openly publishing this stuff because I agree that it really only ruins it for yourself. Just so hard to stop it nowadays. Maybe some people don't care because they ski it only once in a while and aren't a "local"? I just googled that Ryan kid and it looks like he's skiing all over the place so he probably doesn't care about the impact to SB (or any other mountain where he published that info).

Of course I also think numbers would be going up anyway even without any info online just because it is something so many more people are interested in today. Would be interesting to know how much of the increased usage of these areas is due to online info vs other ways. I also think "exploring" and finding some of these by "being aware" is part of the fun. Having the info spoon fed via an online map ruins that part too.

Hawk

I think it has a huge impact. So much so that on Powder days I don't ever bother with skiing trails any more first. I go directly to my favorite tree run and hit that first.

Cornhead

The kids name is Ryan Delena. He has a whole youtube site. My guess is he has a big look at me complex. I am not a fan if posting all the places that are not on the map. This has been completely debated on here. At least he hasn't posted the best stuff. Whatever. you can't fix stupid.
Is this the same guy?
https://rockypointfuneralhome.com/tribute/details/677/Ryan-Delena/obituary.html
Maybe he died skiing, or someone killed him for revealing their private stash.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

Slidebrook87

We knew that you were riding Slidebrook, so we slowed it down to see if you would time it running only 900 feet per minute...........
Just kidding, it normally runs around 1.000. On day last week the lift was run a bit slower because of the off-ramp being a bit slick. Iverness and Summit should be running about the same speed. There are a number of reason why any given lift would be slowed down,

Only once have I seen Slide Brook run 1,000 for the public which was the Friday before MLK weekend of 2019. Inverness actually runs at a good speed for a fixed grip. I calculated it to be around 450. Summit I timed closer to 400. I rarely ever ride Summit purely based off of how slow it is. I’d much rather just lap North Ridge which runs around 950 according to your lift mechanics.