• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

You are way more obnoxious than slidebrook is, Hawk. Many of you may not agree with his opinions but he presents them logically and respectfully.

Fair enough. I can understand that but you also forgot to add persistently. He is like a dog on a bone. And many if not most disagree with a lot of his opinions. So the debate is fine i guess.

Slidebrook87

So...... How could North Ridge and Summit be running with no way of getting to them today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orca

Hawk, how was it out there today?

I'm standing down on this weekend due to a fresh cold. Killing me to do so.

STREETSKIER

No offense slidebrook nothing wrong with being a nerd Seriously
We need people like you
I prefer them to park rats
Have a great weekend

Slidebrook87

No offense slidebrook nothing wrong with being a nerd Seriously
We need people like you
I prefer them to park rats
Have a great weekend

I wouldn’t really consider myself a nerd but thanks for the comment nonetheless. Have a good weekend too.

Griswold

Yes he is 14. Someone I know confirmed it that knows him. He does a lot of reading and does know a lot about lifts and other SB things. What he lacks is the understanding of how to interact on this forum. I have and will cut him some slack because he has not learned that yet and I have to say, I have been obnoxious in the past myself. One thing for sure is his love of that blasted lift is not shared by many of us. :) I have to go now and ski the pow. Top lot is more than half full at 8:30. lots of thirsty pow hounds. Not feeling good with the amount of wind though but VH, Bravo and Gatehouse are turning at this point.

The first two sentences of this are creepy as hell and the fourth is laughable. In the last week or so I’ve seen you publicly name a teenager who is posting all your secret stashes and somehow confirm a 14 year old’s age and announce it. He’s the one who needs the lesson on how to interact on here?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Slidebrook87

Yes he is 14. Someone I know confirmed it that knows him. He does a lot of reading and does know a lot about lifts and other SB things. What he lacks is the understanding of how to interact on this forum. I have and will cut him some slack because he has not learned that yet and I have to say, I have been obnoxious in the past myself. One thing for sure is his love of that blasted lift is not shared by many of us. :) I have to go now and ski the pow. Top lot is more than half full at 8:30. lots of thirsty pow hounds. Not feeling good with the amount of wind though but VH, Bravo and Gatehouse are turning at this point.

Hawk, who exactly told you my personal information and why do you feel the need to share it on this thread. I turned 14 about a week ago so I find it a little bit scary that you know how old I am...

nhskier1969

I have been on that bus with more than 4 people other than when Lincoln got shut down because of wind last New Year’s Day. Nobody wants to bother riding the bus because it’s just not convenient. Most of the people I talk to on the lift say they only go to Ellen when Slide Brook runs. If Alterra was serious about this project (and they seem like they actually care about Slide Brook), they could find a way to permit it without disturbing the Bear habitat. The liftline and lift have already been built so they don’t have that to worry about.

I don't want to turn this thread in again concerning improvements that Alterra should make. And this is probably the last thing they would do but I agree with slidebrook87 to some extent. Without Slidebrook running it really skis like two mtns. Every weekend LP is packed and Ellen is empty. When Slide brook is running, its a lot faster than taking the shuttle. First off you have to time the shuttle just right down near Claybrook and not stop at any of the stops between ellen and LP. Then it is about the same time. Also most of the winter Slidebrook is either too cold to run or frankly it's just too cold to ride. I don't know the weight capacity of lifts but why couldn't they take the chairs down and replace them with 1/3 gondola cabins. I don't know if the cable can take the weight but I you would bet you would get more people bouncing between mtns thus reducing some of the traffic at LP.

TSQURD

Hawk, who exactly told you my personal information and why do you feel the need to share it on this thread. I turned 14 about a week ago so I find it a little bit scary that you know how old I am...

You outed yourself a few weeks ago, just saying...

I’ve never really introduced myself on this forum so I might as well do it now. My name’s Teddy and I’ll be turning 14 in 2 weeks.

Slidebrook87

You outed yourself a few weeks ago, just saying...

Yes, but the fact that he got information from “people that know me” then shares it on this thread is what’s concerning to me. Other than Egan and Win, I really don’t know too many people at Sugarbush...

machski

A lot can be done with Slide Brook but it just hasn’t been done. In its current state it’s a mess with a bunch of deep water bars that make it difficult to evacuate. The lift line could be cleared with new water management systems as well as widened evac access roads. Is it cheap? No. But this along with a refurbishment of the lift could bring back the connection they need. Very few skiers actually bother riding the bus so in order to consider it one ski area it needs to run. By marketing the idea of it being one connected resort (which Alterra and Ikon have been doing) skiers can be spread out much better.

Slidebrook, you need to go dig up articles and do some history research on what it took LBO to get Slidebrook Express installed in the first place. The minimally cleared line was part of the restrictions/compromise to getting it in at all, and things haven't gotten any easier since to work in Slidebrook. Face it, what is there is staying for quite a while. Even when it mechanically needs replacement, I wouldn't bet for much more (maybe a bubble quad) but that is years if not decades down the road. What is there now works fine, may not be a perfect fit for all, but it is better than nothing.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

The first two sentences of this are creepy as hell and the fourth is laughable. In the last week or so I’ve seen you publicly name a teenager who is posting all your secret stashes and somehow confirm a 14 year old’s age and announce it. He’s the one who needs the lesson on how to interact on here?

Thanks Griswold. I appreciate the feedback.

Hawk

Hawk, how was it out there today?

I'm standing down on this weekend due to a fresh cold. Killing me to do so.
Actually really good. The higher up the better but you had to figure out where the snow blew to get the deeper shots. Too bad North Linx shut down by about 10:15. North stayed open mostly. I heard the 3 sisters was pertty good. Never made it over there. Killed too much time with a hike or two.

machski

All I’m saying is that Alterra clearly sees the value in connector lifts. If they’re spending 10+ million on a new gondola to connect Squaw and Alpine Meadows, they’re not going to merely accept the fact that one of Sugarbush’s assets is a lift that in this year’s case, didn’t start running until the 3rd month of the ski season and sits for the rest of the year. With warmer and warmer winters, it’s not logical to have a lift depend on so much snow. I have seen a fair share of reviews regarding the fact that people wished they could ski both sides, but Slide Brook was closed so they only stuck to one and as I mentioned, in its current state, yes, Slide Brook is a mess, but it could be improved and a reliable connection could be restored. Alterra is not going to want to force people on to a state-run public bus service in order to ski both sides. For most people that’s too much of a disruption so they’ll just stay at that side. When I skied at Sugarbush for the first time, I was intrigued by the fact that there were two large mountains with plenty of terrain, but without the vibe of a place like Mt. Snow. I went in without any idea that Slide Brook rarely ran and was very disappointed to see that I couldn’t get to the other side. I went to guest services to ask about a bus and they sent me down to the stop in front of Clay Brook and rode it over to Ellen. It was deserted over there and decently crowded at Lincoln. This along with the lack of snow left a bad taste in my mouth until I came back in March and it was Sugarbush how it should be: plenty of snow with two connected sides.

Do recall the connecting Gondola at Squaw/Alpine had been a battle going on far longer than Alterra has even existed. Squaw and Alpine have been co-owned for quite some and connecting these two "resorts" with a lift is huge, given it can take upwards of an hour to drive between the two. It also took three different alignments for the Gondola before one was accepted, even them with a ton of opposition against any of them.

I appreciate your passion for lift improvements and upgrades Slidebrook, I have similar desires at Sunday River (let's see, a Barker "HSQ" that currently runs slower than the new racing T-Bar for starters) but understand it's a business and they need to prioritize Capital dollars in what is a marginal return business. Sugarbush is a resort at South, and a ski area at North. The Dynamics of connecting the two have different financial driver's than Squaw/Alpine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Sugarbush is a resort at South, and a ski area at North.

And this is a a major reason why no matter what type of lift is between lp and me or how often it runs you will still see a ton of people stay at south.

There really is very limited roi doing anything more with that lift at this point.

Slidebrook87

And this is a a major reason why no matter what type of lift is between lp and me or how often it runs you will still see a ton of people stay at south.

There really is very limited roi doing anything more with that lift at this point.

And the reason behind this is because EVERYTHING has been developed at Lincoln and not Ellen. With upgraded base facilities at Ellen, there may be an increase of people beginning there. Simple things like Ellen only having 1 webcam are an example of the lack of investment for that side. A new lodge over there would vastly improve the experience.

Orca

Teddy, you told everyone your personal information in your post about two weeks ago (Feb 10, 2020, 7:55 PM):

I’ve never really introduced myself on this forum so I might as well do it now. My name’s Teddy and I’ll be turning 14 in 2 weeks. I started skiing at the age of 5, and skied about 5-10 days per year until the 2017/18 season. I started skiing a lot more than I used to at that time and made my first trip to Sugarbush for my birthday. It had always been on my bucket list and the sheer size and varied terrain is what originally drew me to it. Now I ski there quite a bit and have a condo. ....

EDIT: Didn't notice that this point had been made previously.

Last edited:

Orca

Yes, but the fact that he got information from “people that know me” then shares it on this thread is what’s concerning to me. Other than Egan and Win, I really don’t know too many people at Sugarbush...

Good gracious! Hawk is probably stalking "NE Chairlifts & Skiing" and MilanYVR too! Best lay low for a bit.

Orca

Actually really good. The higher up the better but you had to figure out where the snow blew to get the deeper shots. Too bad North Linx shut down by about 10:15. North stayed open mostly. I heard the 3 sisters was pertty good. Never made it over there. Killed too much time with a hike or two.

Glad to hear it. I hope the rest of the weekend is good to you.