• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Slidebrook87

You don't need to replace a lift with high hours, especially a 6 pack. What you need to do is replace or rebuild vital components - motor, gearbox, controls, comm line, etc.

It’s to the point where there are so many issues with that if one thing is replaced, there’s always going to be another issue with it. Yesterday the gates were broken, there was a grip force fault and another mechanical issue. Half the control systems don’t even work and it’s overall just a mess. Normally I would agree with you on this point, but it’s sort of like Barker where it’s too far to do this. A lift from 1999 shouldn’t be like this, but that’s what poor maintenance will do. Thankfully Alterra has been running it much faster than it used to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
It’s to the point where there are so many issues with that if one thing is replaced, there’s always going to be another issue with it. Yesterday the gates were broken, there was a grip force fault and another mechanical issue. Half the control systems don’t even work and it’s overall just a mess. Normally I would agree with you on this point, but it’s sort of like Barker where it’s too far to do this. A lift from 1999 shouldn’t be like this, but that’s what poor maintenance will do. Thankfully Alterra has been running it much faster than it used to run.

In case you are unaware, Newpy is a former ski area GM and has an extensive background in mountain operations. He quite literally has had his hands in lift maintenance longer than you've been alive.

Just saying...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

Does anyone else find Clay Brook hideous? Goofy barn motif with its ridiculous faux silos, and it's totally in the way. Everyone has to walk around the horrible monstrosity to get to the lodge and slopes. It has no use to the general public, unlike say the Cliff at Snowbird that has shops and restaurants. The outdoor pool is in a fishbowl, gawkers walking along the walkway looking down the pool that sees little use but is constantly spilling wasted energy into the atmosphere. Sugarbush would be better off without it.

Nope. We love the design of the Linclon base except for a few things. It is uniquely Vermont and has it's owe charm. I think it is easily the nicest looking and coolest base in new England. Who has a nicer looking base? But being in construction I know there tons of opinions on design and you cant please everybody. I think Win did a good job.

I think that Mt Ellen if it ever gets redesigned, should also be unique and not the exact same as Lincoln peak. I think it should be retro and mimic elements that come from that period it came from in the 60's with obviously some new modern things like updated bathrooms and a new kitchen and servery. Also a large deck is a must over there.

Newpylong

I do not think it is the same as Barker. Barker is now over 30 years old and is a frankenlift. No one in the region except Killington seems to still be operating these "YOMAs" reliably.

Gates, controls, prime mover with high hours - none of these items warrant a wholescale replacement of a 1999 lift. The steel hasn't gone bad. What they do likely need to do is embark on a fairly capital intensive rebuild. I'm sure it's on their roadmap. Snow Bowl definitely should take the pressure off this lift - I need to get down there some day to ride that.

We should get back to Sugarbush not fair to hijack.

slatham

Does anyone else find Clay Brook hideous? Goofy barn motif with its ridiculous faux silos, and it's totally in the way. Everyone has to walk around the horrible monstrosity to get to the lodge and slopes. It has no use to the general public, unlike say the Cliff at Snowbird that has shops and restaurants. The outdoor pool is in a fishbowl, gawkers walking along the walkway looking down the pool that sees little use but is constantly spilling wasted energy into the atmosphere. Sugarbush would be better off without it.

No totally disagree. I find it unique for a base area and very in style with the MRV. Walkway up to right with Farmhouse, Gatehouse, tickets, ski school, drop off etc. all works. I’ve been in the pool/ hot tub many times and people walking by no issue.

Do we not remember the prior, mish mash of temporary buildings that made up the base area prior?

Orca

Nope. We love the design of the Linclon base except for a few things. It is uniquely Vermont and has it's owe charm. I think it is easily the nicest looking and coolest base in new England. Who has a nicer looking base? But being in construction I know there tons of opinions on design and you cant please everybody. I think Win did a good job.

I think that Mt Ellen if it ever gets redesigned, should also be unique and not the exact same as Lincoln peak. I think it should be retro and mimic elements that come from that period it came from in the 60's with obviously some new modern things like updated bathrooms and a new kitchen and servery. Also a large deck is a must over there.

Absolutely agree about the Sugarbush base in general. Just think that Clay Brook itself is poorly sited and could be better looking. No qualms about the other buildings.

rocks860

No totally disagree. I find it unique for a base area and very in style with the MRV. Walkway up to right with Farmhouse, Gatehouse, tickets, ski school, drop off etc. all works. I’ve been in the pool/ hot tub many times and people walking by no issue.

Do we not remember the prior, mish mash of temporary buildings that made up the base area prior?

Agreed. I remember that old ramshackle base area that looked like a shanty town. I really like the new base area and claybrook

BenedictGomez

The only thing wonky & awful about the Sugarbush base, is the number of stairs. But I'm not an engineer, so I suspect a better option than the numerous stairs would have cost millions.

rocks860

The only thing wonky & awful about the Sugarbush base, is the number of stairs. But I'm not an engineer, so I suspect a better option than the numerous stairs would have cost millions.

Yeah there are a lot of stairs but that probably just bothers me because I’m lazy and out of shape. Although the traffics on said stairs is sometimes kind of a mess due to the people that randomly stop in the middle of them and block everyone’s way

WinS

Yeah there are a lot of stairs but that probably just bothers me because I’m lazy and out of shape. Although the traffics on said stairs is sometimes kind of a mess due to the people that randomly stop in the middle of them and block everyone’s way

One can always walk up Gatehouse Lane. Same elevation change.

Slidebrook87

I personally love the Lincoln Peak village, but wish there was a better store. The thing I don’t like about it is how lackluster the Ellen base feels compared to it.

tumbler

I like the base area and the silo does not bother me. Huge improvement over what was there and it has character. As for stairs, most ski areas have them because you know, it’s a mountain. When I used to ski Ellen all the time I considered the walk from my car up to the base area my warm up run.

Smellytele

While I like the exterior design of the individual buildings, I am not a fan of the layout of the buildings. Why do we need to walk around a building to get to the lodge. The lodge should be what welcomes me to the mountain not condos.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

prsboogie

Worst stairs ever...Mt Mansfield lodge to the lifts, ugg!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Slidebrook87

Tomorrow may unfortunately be Slide Brook’s last day. This means that it would only have run for 38 days this season.

Orca

Three observations today:
1. The men's room at Gatehouse is more pleasant than I remember it being before. Not sure exactly what might have changed, but kudos to management. It seems nice, at least inasmuch as a men's room can be.
2. Downspout was fantastic today, whereas for years it has been an icy catastrophe. And this is not the first time this year it as has been good. It was good the last time I skied it. Whatever snowmaking and grooming magic is in play, keep it up.
3. The new bars in the outside CRP and across the way in the courtyard area are a very welcome addition. It was nice to see people outside having a beer in the sun. Glad Sugarbush is capitalizing on the opportunity to make a few more pesos serving cervezas.

Hawk

I have a question pertaining to the IKON Pass Benefits. On the front page for the full IKON pass it mentions 10 tickets for Friends and Family with no percent discount so I would read that as 10 tickets for free. When you click on the details link it says 25% off. Is it 10 Free tickets or 10 at 25%. Just wondering. The other thing I was thinking is that if you pre-purchase your tickets on line in advance isn't the discount more than 25%? That would kind of negate the whole idea of that benefit wouldn't it?

Zermatt

I have a question pertaining to the IKON Pass Benefits. On the front page for the full IKON pass it mentions 10 tickets for Friends and Family with no percent discount so I would read that as 10 tickets for free. When you click on the details link it says 25% off. Is it 10 Free tickets or 10 at 25%. Just wondering. The other thing I was thinking is that if you pre-purchase your tickets on line in advance isn't the discount more than 25%? That would kind of negate the whole idea of that benefit wouldn't it?

It's 10 25% off tickets. And it's 25% off the full window price

Hawk

Hmm. I just went on line to the on line tickets. If I buy my ticket even a couple days in advance the lowest discount is 25% on Saturdays and anywhere from 30 to 45% any other day. That does not seem like much of a benefit. Just sayin.