• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

gregnye

Big ripple effect on the local businesses here. Let’s do our part and support them. Buy some gear in the ski shops, sales are underway. Get takeout food and keep spending. Support the resort when anything is able to reopen there.

Why should I keep supporting businesses that are open? Obviously the ones that are open currently do not care about their employee's wellbeing otherwise they would also be closed.

If you are not closed right now and are not a supermarket or gas station, you do not deserve my money.

And don't argue "But if the businesses aren't open, hourly-workers will be unemployed. True, that's part of the problem. Everyone deserves paid sick time in this country (including myself--I get no sick time)." I don't support this foolishness of making minimum wage people come in with no paid sick time just to "support struggling businesses".

People first, economy second. End of rant.

tumbler

They are still grooming.

My guess is they are using the cats to help strip the hill of all the operations stuff that is still there and are putting the tiller down. They are not grooming for the sake of grooming or for the skinners.

cdskier

My guess is they are using the cats to help strip the hill of all the operations stuff that is still there and are putting the tiller down. They are not grooming for the sake of grooming or for the skinners.

That's what I was thinking as well...

icecoast1

Why should I keep supporting businesses that are open? Obviously the ones that are open currently do not care about their employee's wellbeing otherwise they would also be closed.

If you are not closed right now and are not a supermarket or gas station, you do not deserve my money.

And don't argue "But if the businesses aren't open, hourly-workers will be unemployed. True, that's part of the problem. Everyone deserves paid sick time in this country (including myself--I get no sick time)." I don't support this foolishness of making minimum wage people come in with no paid sick time just to "support struggling businesses".

If small businesses close and go out of business cause of this, there will be less jobs with the benefits you say every employer should provide

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Gang we are all in the same boat. A few industries will be able to capitalize on the fear, but guaranteed that growth is negative.

When the season ends many lifties and low wage earners go on unemployment. At my home mountain, those I spoke to are ok with the end of the season.

Hawk

Boston and Cambridge just shut down Inspectional services and all Construction projects. I guess I can go home now. Nothing to do.

tumbler

Boston and Cambridge just shut down Inspectional services and all Construction projects. I guess I can go home now. Nothing to do.

I had not heard about Cambridge. It will be statewide by tomorrow.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

honored til 12/24/20 per win's 3/15 email

That's cool and I would have liked to have seen it be good the whole 2021 season. I'll get over it and hope we get a ton of snow early next year.

Also, wont ME still be closed? If so that's another bummer. I don't go up there until after ME opens so I get to ski both mountains.

also bummed as I was going to go this coming weekend. Our last big trip for the year.

I agree with the decision, lets hope we get a reopening or a kick ass year next year!

Last edited:

djd66

Just imagine how much this would suck if it all of a sudden dumped 24”!

I wonder if the Lincoln Limo is available to rent? That has always been on my bucket list to do one day at ME in the spring.

KustyTheKlown

Just imagine how much this would suck if it all of a sudden dumped 24”!

I wonder if the Cabin Cat is available to rent? That has always been on my bucket list to do one day at ME in the spring.

tahoe. so sad. first massive storm of the winter on the night they close everything.

Smellytele

what about the trucking companies? The producers of food, the people who make the packaging for food, The company that fixes the machines that produce the packaging and food? Just to name a few. All business is connected in the long run and it isn't easy just saying only supermarkets and gas stations should be open...

Hawk

tahoe. so sad. first massive storm of the winter on the night they close everything.
One of my Best friends moved to Squaw this year from Sunday River. I can't imagine how frustrating it has been for him. They skied Mt Rose Sunday and Homewood is still open but WTF.