• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

smac75

This is the best route and least likely to be treacherous. While the hill on route 4 in killington can be scary, it is an interstate highway, well traveled and gets plowed frequently. Can't say the same for 125 or 73. I think in normal conditions, navigation (waze or google maps) will tell you the fastest route is 73 brandon gap, but I've tried it multiple times and never found the time saving to be significant.

Thanks for this helpful info!

smac75

Congrats! I love Saratoga. We've spent a bunch of time there over the years and it's our customary rest stop on our way to Burlington or Sugarbush coming from NJ. I'm sure you already know, but the coffee at Uncommon Grounds is fantastic and the sandwiches at Mrs. London's are excellent.

Although I'm a ways away, I've told my wife, that Saratoga would be a great place to retire. There's a ton of cultural things. It's in the ADK's so tons of outdoor activities. The track in the summer brings in a lot of excitement. And it's a college town which helps to maintain a youthful feeling. Gore is exactly one hour away and it's a little over 2 hours to Burlington and Sugarbush.

Congrats on the move.

Thank you! Just settling in and know none of the "gems" yet so thank you for the recommendations. Can't wait to try Gore...everyone around here says good things about it.

tumbler

I love that pod b/w Castlerock and North Lynx and the one next to lower FIS. I know, I know, a bunch of stashes in both...

shipyardcreek

I know about a half dozen routes from the Northway to MRV. They are all about the same distance and take the same time. If you are going over Brandon Gap use McConnell Rd. to avoid having to go through Brandon. If you like beer, Foley Bros. is just to the west of where McConnell Rd. hits 73. I do try and avoid the 100 to 4 going home because of the Killington traffic. Do obey the 25 mph speed limits going through the little towns, the cops like to write tickets.

slatham

I'd say that area is off the table. I think it at least partially falls within the Slide Brook area that they agreed to never develop (although exactly where the boundary is of the area they agreed to never develop I'm not entirely sure). That terrain would also be relatively low elevation especially on the lower portions which makes it less than ideal.

Except the plan is post Slidebrook so I would say that area and the one above lower FIS are not eliminated by the Slidebrook agreement. Getting ACT 250 and other approvals might be a challenge however.

Powder Whore

The map that shows the lower fis area is terrifying . 3 trails and a lift off of tumbler? I ski this area frequently. IMO what makes it great is that most of the entrances are off of a bump run & the long flat runout. Both of these factors help keep traffic down . A lift in there will change things for sure.

cdskier

The map that shows the lower fis area is terrifying . 3 trails and a lift off of tumbler? I ski this area frequently. IMO what makes it great is that most of the entrances are off of a bump run & the long flat runout. Both of these factors help keep traffic down . A lift in there will change things for sure.

I wouldn't worry about it. That plan is old and I think it would be hard to justify adding lift serviced lower elevation terrain with no snowmaking. At least above Inverness you have higher elevation terrain so could get by easier without snowmaking.

djd66

Hah...my condo is near there as well (North Lynx) so it certainly would benefit me too.

I live in the village as well,... I never understood why they never completed the village trail. They could have built a bridge or tunnel or a lift at the bottom of the village trail. I have to believe there are a ton of property owners that would kick in some money to cover the cost of a lift so the 200+ houses/condos could be ski in/ski out.

SkiTheEast

I live in the village as well,... I never understood why they never completed the village trail. They could have built a bridge or tunnel or a lift at the bottom of the village trail. I have to believe there are a ton of property owners that would kick in some money to cover the cost of a lift so the 200+ houses/condos could be ski in/ski out.

Ha, I've often thought the same thing! Who knows maybe Alterra will throw us a bone - one can dream! :daffy:

MorningWoods

Ha, I've often thought the same thing! Who knows maybe Alterra will throw us a bone - one can dream! :daffy:

I’m down for that! Win mentioned that area between NL and Castlerock as well as a potential area. I would be more interested in the area above Inverness though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HowieT2

I wouldn't worry about it. That plan is old and I think it would be hard to justify adding lift serviced lower elevation terrain with no snowmaking. At least above Inverness you have higher elevation terrain so could get by easier without snowmaking.

Agreed.
With respect to any expansion, the mt ellen areas are on private land whereas lincoln peak is USFS.

HowieT2

I’m down for that! Win mentioned that area between NL and Castlerock as well as a potential area. I would be more interested in the area above Inverness though.

I'd prefer seeing the area between castlerock and north lynx stay just the way it is, thank you. There is 'nothing to see there. The terrain is horrible. It doesnt get any snow. Some people say there's an old nuclear waste dump in there.

TSQURD

Im wondering when/if the lifts are going to run at this point. no below freezing temps in the 10 day at this point and the mountain is looking awfully green

CastlerockMRV

That's pretty much the case in any of these expansion areas! Speaking of Slidebrook... are the buses going to run? Would you want to get on that bus? ugh

I've been wondering this myself. Maybe they could run the jitney for open air transport when the weather permits? Insurance folks may not love that tho... Or just run the bus 1-way to North when Slide Brook is running. That's like a <5 minute bus ride which doesn't really present any issues if everyone is masked up.

Or just simply limit capacity, trust folks to take the right precautions, and run the bus as normal.

Slidebrook87

With these warm temperatures I’m not quite sure about how they’re going to blow snow on snowball, spring fling, pushover and slowpoke by opening day. Looks like above freezing for the next week.

Powder Whore

That's pretty much the case in any of these expansion areas! Speaking of Slidebrook... are the buses going to run? Would you want to get on that bus? ugh

I asked JH about this during an online “townhall”. His response was that the busses will be running and will adhere to whatever capacity restrictions the state sets fourth

cdskier

With these warm temperatures I’m not quite sure about how they’re going to blow snow on snowball, spring fling, pushover and slowpoke by opening day. Looks like above freezing for the next week.

You won't even have snow-making temps up high for at least the next week...Going to be challenging to hit their opening date target with the terrain they want/need unless it gets very cold after next weekend.