The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 318 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Happened once that I recall on a busy weekend this year. I wanted to hit North Lynx area for a few runs (others needed to get back to North) and I was SOL.
    As I remember... I was on North Lynx then. Snow was great and nobody could get to me. Life doesn't always suck.

As for the food service at Allyn's, did that get onto the challenge questions?

Noski, good to see you over here. Seems like the RSN board is broken. Sent them an email last week. Haven't heard anything.
    Look! Up in the sky!

just visiting

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone
    Noski, good to see you over here. Seems like the RSN board is broken. Sent them an email last week. Haven't heard anything.
    Thanks, Lostone. Visiting here is like being in reception hall with cathedral ceilings. I kind of liked our former back-porch-around-the-grill location. Maybe you will see me at the Warren 4th, with 8,000 of my closest friends.
    Come for the Mountains. Stay for the Valley.

Items for Sale
    Yeah, guys I tried many times to put an announcement on RSN regarding this challenge, but they are not taking any new submissions for some odd reason...maybe the guys at Whiteface finally scared them off.

The Wachusett room is not working either...oh well...you are all welcome here
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Items for Sale
    Hey, great to have you here, noski!
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Strat
    So we have a sugarbush thread... now what do we do?

Here's a thought-provoker: 2 foot dump last night, let's say it's midseason so you're fully in shape and everything. You hurry up to Sugarbush (North or South, your pick) to get first chair. Which trail/glade do you hit first? Keep it on-map, makes it a bit more challenging...

Me, I say Paradise. No, I've never ridden it, but I've only heard great things, especially on pow days.
    Although I probably wouldn't be on a marked trail, I would say probably Rumble or Liftline

It's got to be Liftline for me, assuming the ride up indicates that the top part hasn't been scoured down to bedrock per usual. That trail is nothing but fun with deep snow on it as you can just billy goat from one outcrop to the next with no repurcussions. Rumble is fun too, but unless you have a super deep snowfall, thhe bumps and rocks that had built up before the storm will be felt lurking underneath.

Noski, I usderstand what you mean about the around the grill site. I'm hoping enough of the folks who used to gather around the grill will have copied the trail of breadcrumbs to find their way over here.

I'll be there on the fourth. Unless it is raining, I'll have my orange and grey camera bag, and will likely be shooting.

I was going to ask if they were going to run the busses, but I saw signs up at the Lincoln base, today. That's a good thing. Just can's see all those people driving there.

And as for which trail first, depends on how much snow and what time. If it is a weekend, only Bravo is open at 8:00, and I'm on the first few chairs. If it is later, other lifts will open at the same time... and I will be on the first few chairs.

I'll usually try to blast a few on the fast lifts before spending the time on the others. Sure it isn't Paradise, but it is POWDAH!!

Those who've seen me on powder mornings know I cover my ground.
    Look! Up in the sky!

July 4

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone

I'll be there on the fourth. Unless it is raining, I'll have my orange and grey camera bag, and will likely be shooting.

I was going to ask if they were going to run the busses, but I saw signs up at the Lincoln base, today. That's a good thing. Just can's see all those people driving there.
    Bus will run from Yestermorrow as well on July 4. I will look for the camera bag. You know it never rains on our parade. I am in charge of weather, part of my job you know- so don't worry.
    Come for the Mountains. Stay for the Valley.

I think it also depends on the wind direction for choosing where to go. Lincoln Peak has nearly 270 degrees of skiing in its massive basin. As a result, a Noreaster (with E to NE winds) will create a radically different pattern of wind scouring than your typical 6-10" clipper storm coming in from the W or NW. I've skied powder days where the north facing trails off of Super Bravo and Valley House were miserable with bulltproof snow in the trees while at the same time Castlerock and North Lynx were going off. I've also seen the exact opposite. It's truly amazing what aspect and elevation can do.

Welcome Noski...we do know eachother...lol

Allyn's Lodge has really pretty much been a non-factor for many years. During ASC days they trucked food up there everyday so all they had were some bad sandwiches, pastries and hot chocalate if they were having a good day. Summit has already upgraded is so they can actually cook and looking at it's usuage I don't think you need to make it any bigger. What a spot!

As far as the new Lincoln Base Lodge they just need to make it big enough for crowded weekends, a GOOD ventilation system and make it a nice place to take a break.

Everytine I look up at LP I see alot of space between Castlerock and Heavens Gate. Maybe a slow lift with MRG type terrain with both intermediate and advanced terrain good go in there. Take just a part of that space so as to not disturb the Church.

Thread Information