The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 350 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Woodsman
    Yeah, why I love Mt Ellen so much and SB for that matter. Great run, not well trodden, but it's there and great. I can ski Ellen all day and not get bored when there is snow. I love Lower FIS personally...some great pitch and nice narrow chute sections.
    Not a huge fan of Lower FIS due to its width (far to wide, enabling wind to scrape all the snow off) and flat/uphill run-out at the bottom. Another pipe dream I've had is to run a chair from the 1,800 ft elevation on that trail up to either the Cliff House at 3,000 ft or the top of Mt Ellen at 4,083. Good times either way and would provide legit expert terrain for Ellen (Upper FIS, Black Diamond and Upper Exterminator are too short to want to do laps ala Castlerock or even Heaven's Gate)
    Again, another great idea!! When AZ buys Sugarbush, we're making Tin Woodsman the new ski area designer

Seriously though, that would be sick. Yeah, I guess there are sections of Lower FIS that do get windswept, but I still like it after some freshies.

This thread is on fire!
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I posted back on Snowjournal and Slowclimb about this lift line cut earlier in the year. I know people who have skied it before, but they said it was quite brushy now. I tried to find a navagatable path up it this winter, but I was running out of daylight so I didn't get too far. I really want to explore this route more though, as it could yeild some good skiing. (the woods are pretty thin up there and are already good for some flatter tree skiing )

dave

does every single person who lives in the MRV post on this forum. it seems like half our users are from there, and when i drove through it looked like there were only like 10 houses, plenty of cows though

Quote Originally Posted by awf170
    does every single person who lives in the MRV post on this forum. it seems like half our users are from there, and when i drove through it looked like there were only like 10 houses, plenty of cows though
    nope. Only those of us who are bored in cubicle land rather than enjoying being outside recreating in the MRV! Remember, when in VT, there are waaay more houses in off of the main roads than what you can see from the main roads (I think you were kidding but I had to clarify anyway!)

I just can't wait to get up there in 'dem dar mountains and ski sum more!

dave

I think you are confusing Jeffersonville with Waitsfield... All these years you have been skiing Smuggs thinking it was Sugarbush.

Quote Originally Posted by ski_resort_observer
    I think you are confusing Jeffersonville with Waitsfield... All these years you have been skiing Smuggs thinking it was Sugarbush.
    no kidding.. I grew up in Jericho and Jeffersonville and Jeff. definately represents his comments Maybe he saw the cows by Kenyons and thought that was the whole valley

Quote Originally Posted by djspookman
    I posted back on Snowjournal and Slowclimb about this lift line cut earlier in the year. I know people who have skied it before, but they said it was quite brushy now. I tried to find a navagatable path up it this winter, but I was running out of daylight so I didn't get too far. I really want to explore this route more though, as it could yeild some good skiing. (the woods are pretty thin up there and are already good for some flatter tree skiing )
    That's not surprising about the alleged quality of the tree skiing up that way. IIRC, it's mostly hardwoods until you get to the top 200-300 verts or so, but that could be off. If that's the case, then I'd venture to say that the old liftline probably has the worst skiing up in that area. A buddy of mine skied the line in the epic year of 2000-2001 and said it was so grown in that he had to hike back up and out. Total and complete lockdown - Alcatraz style. Mind you, the snow was so deep at Sugarbush that year that I know people where skiing ON TOP of the younger pine trees to skier's left of the top of Sunrise. Those trees are 15 feet tall these days.

In short, I doubt it's worth your time. Lines to the left and right of that cut, however, are a different story altogether.

Items for Sale
    Yeah, 2000-2001 was a sick season...I remember it quite often. Snowed like every day.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss
    Yeah, 2000-2001 was a sick season...I remember it quite often. Snowed like every day.
    yup... I was skiing lines at Smuggs that year that I would have never thought anyone could due to the snow depths

dave

Items for Sale
    We just need another season like it
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information