• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Tin Woodsman

Well I'm glad they came up with the temp structure idea. That should really help with the convenience factor. I guess this means they are evacuating the Sugar Bear programs from the GH Lodge? Hope so - it's far too cramped in there. If so, any ideas on what they'll do with the room that opens up?

daevious

Website
bush.daevious.com
I don't know what the plans are for the Sugarbear/Minibear spaces, but there's more than that. For example, every weekend day there were 200+ Blazer kids (and their coaches) scrambling for seats at lunchtime in the Gatehouse and Valley House. They will all be out of the lodges and into the "Instant Structure" instead.

Treeskier

Worked in Slidebrook w/ outback guides last weekend

The Pin ball alley (as ski patrol calls the steep pitch 3/4 of the way across the Slidebrook travers) is now greatly impoved. Plus lots of large blown down dead trees on the official trails are cut up and used to fill in holes or cover rocks.

As for the hotel/sports center...John Egan said he (righly so) needed a place to run ski school starting in Oct. not November.

I guess RSN is dead. My first post. Ski Yah.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
noski said:
Noski..if they decide to make the traffic light at the bottom of the access rd permanent will you join me in a little midnight traffic light repositioning...lol I bet Tin and Spook would help.

I will if you guys help me pull the "Irasville" highway signs at the middle and south end of Waitsfield....me getting caught doing that might be bad.

:lol: Yeah, the Irasville thing is kinda funny. Once inawhile I got asked where the Irasville Post Office is.

It is confusing but Ira Allen and his bro are war heroes. Guess Irasburg wasn't enough. lol

Tin Woodsman

Re: Worked in Slidebrook w/ outback guides last weekend

Treeskier said:
The Pin ball alley (as ski patrol calls the steep pitch 3/4 of the way across the Slidebrook travers) is now greatly impoved. Plus lots of large blown down dead trees on the official trails are cut up and used to fill in holes or cover rocks.

As for the hotel/sports center...John Egan said he (righly so) needed a place to run ski school starting in Oct. not November.
Are you referring to the access route on top or the egress route at the bottom? Great to hear about the clearing up of the dead fall.

Also, kudos to Egan. Sounds like a smart move to get their act together before the crowds show up.

Lostone

So much to answer...

Noski...Surrrre! :roll: I do the rumors right away and you can't stay on top of the facts. Sheesh! :roll: :wink:

Schusseur, Most of the landscaping Takes what was the first part of the parking lot and the bank. It leaves the normal high path from the village. Not sure where the new beginners' magic carpet will be, but as it is (And I live in the village, so I have reason to check) I don't think there'll be a problem getting past.

As to Slidebrook, I believe what they are allowed to do (official tours and people free skiing.) is very limited by their agreement with the forrest service.

As for the light, I think it is off? I haven't seen it alive for weeks and think the bridge might be done.

Maybe we could move it and the Irasville signs to the same area? Say on North Fayston road? Your driving along and you come across a sign welcoming you to Irasville and a stoplight? :lol:

djspookman

ski_resort_observer said:
The MRV is mellow and laid back in the summer compared to Stowe or Manchester....I couldn't agree more. So far the real estate prices have remained fairly low when compared to the other ski towns.

Noski..if they decide to make the traffic light at the bottom of the access rd permanent will you join me in a little midnight traffic light repositioning...lol I bet Tin and Spook would help.

I hear Stowe needs another one. Wouldn't they be happily surprised to find a nice new one, barely used, on their doorstep one morning. :lol:

yup.. i'd help, but Its already gone. I took my bike out for a road loop last week and ended up at the bottom of the access road and was pleasantly surprised to find the light gone. (I drive down to rt 17 to get to work)

dave

vtskibum

my mill tells me...

Tin Woodsman said:
Well I'm glad they came up with the temp structure idea. That should really help with the convenience factor. I guess this means they are evacuating the Sugar Bear programs from the GH Lodge? Hope so - it's far too cramped in there. If so, any ideas on what they'll do with the room that opens up?

My understanding is that space will be used for the bullwell tuning house but I only operate on passing rumors as I have no access to "authorized" information.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Re: Here is the press release. Have at it.

daevious said:
thetrailboss said:
Sad to see that they are having problems :(

:eek: Oh boy, here we go...more 'temporary' buildings...why do I not like the sound of where this is going? :roll:

Sorry, don't understand what you mean--those sound to me like solutions, not problems.

When I hear temporary buildings instead of actual structures, it conjures up images of the addition to the Gatehouse Lodge that ASC which was meant to be 'temporary' and is still there. It also is reminiscent of Middlebury's 'bubble' which was also supposed to be temporary and is still there years later....

smootharc

Re: SB and the backcountry

AHM said:
The area(and that includes the front/back and MRG) simply has the best skiing in the east, bar none. Bush backcountry: tip of the iceberg...

The SB backcountry discussion certainly adds a new dimension to this thread. It would be a first in the East (I think) to have a resort wholeheartedly plunge into a coherent backcountry ski, guiding (and education?) program. The response levels from just the interest that lays latent would probably blow their minds. I imagine people would be tres keen.

One thing that's always interested me has been maps, topographic info, photos, ski routes, etc. I touched upon this as it relates to SB and the Valley in a previous thread....sort of BC from the "side door".

http://forums.alpinezone.com/viewtopic.php?t=5062

I realize this type of information gathering can upset some folks...those who've put considerable time and effort into finding and maintaining their stashes. (look at that guy who published the photo guide to Alta about 12 years or so ago....they practically burned him at the stake. I think the book is a collectible these days....anyways it resides proudly in my skiing and climbing library). But perhaps an overall "program" of BC skiing in the valley would benefit everyone. Looking at the whole body of potential BC skiers, probably a full 90% of them are middle agers looking for a lift accessed, not "too out of bounds" out of bounds run or two with a guided group. They'll stay in certain more well trod areas of the BC. Then there's the more self sufficent groups who are really putting it out there and on the line....most of the former folks will never trod where the latter ones do. Everyone stays happy. A lot of the issues relating to access on Forest Service/GOv't land are addressed and discussed and debated (and lawsuited) in the rock climbing community....and there are certainly no easy answers.

But I'm encouraged by the comments above and later in this thread about the BC "resource"....and intelligently approaching some sort of plan for it's enjoyment. From people who sound like they know first-hand....it sounds like the Green Mountain Crest area from Lincoln through MRG is some prime, prime BC skiing.

P.S. Anyone seeking a "dumb older brother type who stocks a 150lb. backpack full of powerbars for anyone's taking" as a 3rd or 4th wheel for a "this side of extreme" Slide Brook day here or there....well, this winter I'll be much, much more around the valley. Plus, my brain is swiss cheese, so I won't even remember where we go. Plus, I'm ugly and way beyond uncool, too, so the cool backcountry ski chicks won't even give me a second glance as they focus on you, the big cheese, the head honcho, the top dog, the benevolent one.....

P.P.S. Got an e-mail from Skiershop.com that Meathead's Film "Epoch" has finally shipped. Lots of BC stuff in that, if I remember correctly. Can't wait....

noski

Re: my mill tells me...

vtskibum said:
Tin Woodsman said:

My understanding is that space will be used for the bullwell tuning house but I only operate on passing rumors as I have no access to "authorized" information.

Your "passing info" is right, vtskibum. Additional space for lockers and storage will be there too. The temp village will house all the the skier services that will be there when the contstruction is complete.

oh, and SRO- there is already a "stop light" up toward North Fayston Rd. Anyone remember where it is.....? Let's see who is on the ball here.

noski

Lostone said:
Is that a stop light or a cow crossing light?

Well....if the cow light is flashing, you better not hit Mrs. Turner because she will be in the middle of Rt 100 waving her red flag! I think it almost qualifies as a stop light, don't you?? :wink:

Lostone

So the story I heard this weekend is that some of the "temporary buildings" for the family center will be the present Guest services buildings, which will be moved over to the right of where they are now.

I think the rental trailers will move over there, too, so there will be a partially familiar look to part of the temporary family center area.

Should be a very interesting next few weeks, as the dance of the buildings begins. :wink:

mtnlady

Unofficially official

Hi guys. I can give some details on the plans for the Lincoln Peak Village
construction - at last!!

The functionality of the Family Center will be accomplished for the 2005-2006
season as intended originally by moving some of the pre-existing structures
and adding others onto the footprint of the planned new "lodge". Infrastructure for utiliities and environmental considerations are now in place, ready to build that building later. As you know per SB's public release last week, the project is on schedule in its lodging component - that being a
priority to honor commitments to the purchasers. I personally am relieved to have this revised construction plan and see it as good guest service.

Here's what I can pass on for details:
Called the Interim Village Plan: all kids ski & ride programs will be housed in the new/temporary 500 X100 structure; the pre-existing Ski/Ride Schoolhouse and the Rental Shop will be moved onto the new footprint; a
new tickets building will also be located on that footprint. The Guest Service Kiosk will reappear at the top of the new stairs from the parking lot.
The former Minibear Den (under the Castlerock Pub and its deck) will house the repair shop and season's pass, and I believe the LP Seasonal Lockers will be moved down from the Valley House Lodge into the same space - right under the Pub! The old space for those lockers will become employee locker room space. The old Sugarbear space on the bathroom level of the Gatehouse Lodge will be used for overflow seating/storage, with some of us displaced managers moving to small offices there as well; the Sun Kid will be re-located adjacent to new ski & ride facilities.

Alpine Options will remain in its same spot/same building. I hope the secure lock-up for day/overnight storage of skis and boards will be relocated adjacent to the GS Kiosk as that has worked very well in past seasons.

And by the way, let me put in a plug for the Ambassador Program -- anyone interested in joining can inquire through Human Resources. With all this new stuff, plus the construction going on, we'd love more ernest volunteers.

Glad to be back -- and I've said all I can about this for now. Now, back to summertime, and the gardens...

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Re: Unofficially official

mtnlady said:
Hi guys. I can give some details on the plans for the Lincoln Peak Village
construction - at last!!

The functionality of the Family Center will be accomplished for the 2005-2006
season as intended originally by moving some of the pre-existing structures
and adding others onto the footprint of the planned new "lodge". Infrastructure for utiliities and environmental considerations are now in place, ready to build that building later. As you know per SB's public release last week, the project is on schedule in its lodging component - that being a
priority to honor commitments to the purchasers. I personally am relieved to have this revised construction plan and see it as good guest service.

Here's what I can pass on for details:
Called the Interim Village Plan: all kids ski & ride programs will be housed in the new/temporary 500 X100 structure; the pre-existing Ski/Ride Schoolhouse and the Rental Shop will be moved onto the new footprint; a
new tickets building will also be located on that footprint. The Guest Service Kiosk will reappear at the top of the new stairs from the parking lot.
The former Minibear Den (under the Castlerock Pub and its deck) will house the repair shop and season's pass, and I believe the LP Seasonal Lockers will be moved down from the Valley House Lodge into the same space - right under the Pub! The old space for those lockers will become employee locker room space. The old Sugarbear space on the bathroom level of the Gatehouse Lodge will be used for overflow seating/storage, with some of us displaced managers moving to small offices there as well; the Sun Kid will be re-located adjacent to new ski & ride facilities.

Alpine Options will remain in its same spot/same building. I hope the secure lock-up for day/overnight storage of skis and boards will be relocated adjacent to the GS Kiosk as that has worked very well in past seasons.

And by the way, let me put in a plug for the Ambassador Program -- anyone interested in joining can inquire through Human Resources. With all this new stuff, plus the construction going on, we'd love more ernest volunteers.

Glad to be back -- and I've said all I can about this for now. Now, back to summertime, and the gardens...
Thanks for the update..I can't wait to see it when it is all said and done.

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Re: Unofficially official

mtnlady said:
Alpine Options will remain in its same spot/same building.
Thanks for the update... love to hear official words... just wondering about this one point... last time I checked the yellow alpine options building was half-demolished, with pieces of insulation poking out, and a pile of rubble on the ground... is there going to be a temporary wall or something?

Lostone

I'd heard that whole section of buildings were to be moved to the new guest services area, too. They certainly cleared out the merchandise.

But like I say, I don't deal in facts... Only rumors. :wink: :lol: