• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WWF-VT

Yes he was a lucky sperm.

Tha's the most dumbass comment that you have added to this thread so far. WTF is your problem with how Sugarbush is financing it's expansion over the past 10+ years ? Why don't you just stay at Killington and save your attempts at witty comments for KillingtonZone.

HowieT2

Well the cost for the build out is supposedly upwards of $100m. 40 investers at a 1/2 mil each is only $20m. Where's the rest of the money comimg from? Besides Sugarbush didn't have to show they created any new jobs. They only had to show they saved them being revenue was down over 20% at the time.

where did you get that 100m number from??? seems high to me.

rtjcbrown

Is the there really no more room for terrain at Lincoln Peak? It sure looks like there is, especially between CR and North Lynx

steamboat1

Tha's the most dumbass comment that you have added to this thread so far. WTF is your problem with how Sugarbush is financing it's expansion over the past 10+ years ? Why don't you just stay at Killington and save your attempts at witty comments for KillingtonZone.
I'm sure he had to scrape & claw his way up the corporate ladder being his father was one of the founders. Sorry you took offense to the name I called him but the phrase was commonly used on the street for people like him.

cdskier

rtjcbrown said:
Is the there really no more room for terrain at Lincoln Peak? It sure looks like there is, especially between CR and North Lynx

No thank you.

Howie just wants to keep everything undeveloped to himself at both LP and ME 8)

Technically there is room to expand in that area. There was even an old plan floating around in SB's Vegetation Management plan from a number of years ago with it mapped out. Whether they actually would want to do this or could even get approval is another story. I'd rather leave LP alone though personally.

deadheadskier

Staff member

The exact same development maps that show the Upper Inverness and lower FIS terrain pods show a lift and trails in between CR and NL.

I'm with MMW I would not want to see that happen.

HowieT2

Howie just wants to keep everything undeveloped to himself at both LP and ME 8)

Technically there is room to expand in that area. There was even an old plan floating around in SB's Vegetation Management plan from a number of years ago with it mapped out. Whether they actually would want to do this or could even get approval is another story. I'd rather leave LP alone though personally.

guitly as charged.

seriously though, that area is south facing, so snow retention on open trails would be a problem.

Tin Woodsman

I'm sure he had to scrape & claw his way up the corporate ladder being his father was one of the founders. Sorry you took offense to the name I called him but the phrase was commonly used on the street for people like him.
Say what you want, but irrespective of where he topped out or how he got there, he is unarguably the best steward/owner SB has had in many decades, perhaps since its founding. In an era where skiing is no longer a growth sport, and climate/snowfall seem increasingly variable, he has guided SB to a path of sustainable operations in a manner that none of his predecessors were willing/able to do. Sure, ASC brought SB into the modern age with its orgy or much-needed lift and snowmaking investments (albeit with 2nd rate materials that are the source of many system issues today), but then they cut and run. Win is deeply invested in not just the resort, but the Mad River Valley more broadly and looks to be here for the long-term. He has used EB-5 money opportunistically but appears to prefer other methods, much of which comes from his own pocket or is based on cash flows of the operating business. Not sure why anyone would slag him for that unless they have an uninformed agenda.

Oh wait, is that steamboat1's music I hear??!!

machski

Yes, Otten and ASC proposed a HSQ and widened/snowmaking for Castlerock. But when the locals screamed murder, they backed off, got together, and decided to leave it as is. When the new double went in, it was designed with very low capacity to match the old one and engineered with minimal towers to open up liftline a bit more. Ironically, the engineering had to be redone the following season as the lift had major shake/vibration issues initially.

Newpylong

Sugarbush would not be what it is today without Less. Massive snowmaking reservoir, much added coverage on mountain, new lifts, etc. Yet, they made some bone headed decisions like the Snail and Slidebrook. He always was two steps ahead and one back.