• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

So Win said at the community meeting that you can go to the ski shop in the Gatehouse and they will have the ability to give you a pass with your picture on it for your collection. It won't work at the lift but you can continue the tradition of collecting passes. Not sure of the cost but it will probably be $5 or $10?

cdskier

No photo on the new pass is a bummer -- liked collecting them each year.

Each year? I liked having a photo pass too, although I only had 1 that I used every year (other than when I had to replace it after losing it on FIS in a fall).

I received my new pass yesterday in the mail. Question for anyone that has used RFID passes in the past...does it really need to be kept separate from credit cards and cell phones, etc in your pocket? If I keep it by itself, I'm worried I'll lose it at some point.

tumbler

Each year? I liked having a photo pass too, although I only had 1 that I used every year (other than when I had to replace it after losing it on FIS in a fall).

I received my new pass yesterday in the mail. Question for anyone that has used RFID passes in the past...does it really need to be kept separate from credit cards and cell phones, etc in your pocket? If I keep it by itself, I'm worried I'll lose it at some point.

In my experience yes it needs to be in its own pocket and around chest level. If you have a jacket with a pocket on the sleeve that works the best.

Hawk

They went over this in the community meeting in depth. Win said he has tested it himself and found that anything in the pocket can affect it. It has to be in a pocket on your left side by itself between your shoulder and knee. I hope people have a clue and don't screw it up.

machski

They went over this in the community meeting in depth. Win said he has tested it himself and found that anything in the pocket can affect it. It has to be in a pocket on your left side by itself between your shoulder and knee. I hope people have a clue and don't screw it up.
Don't worry, many will screw it up and be stuck in the gates. Has happened everywhere I have been that has used these to date.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

I know a lot of people who go down to the pass office every single year and get a new pass with a new photo just because they want to keep their collection intact. They did allow you to do this. I am like you. I could not be bothered and just kept the same pass for several years.

cdskier

Meh...I'm not impressed. This is becoming a pain in the ass before I've even used it! (I'm very set in my ways with what goes in what pocket...and this is now screwing everything up!)

cdskier

My post last night may have come across a bit harsh. Generally speaking I'm in favor of RFID systems as it is certainly better technology than barcode scanning. I'm just disappointed in the technical shortfalls of the solutions currently available in the market for ski areas to use. RFID is not new and at this point the technology should be mature enough to have mitigated the issue of credit cards and cell phones in the same pocket causing issues. At work I often see women that keep their access cards in their purse along with these other type of items having no issues with the readers being able to pick up the badge RFID signal and get through security. I was expecting/hoping the warning about interference for the ski passes was more of a general overly-cautious disclaimer and that people would say in reality they haven't had issues and it could be mostly ignored. Oh well.

ceo

When I went to Jay season before last, I stuck my RFID card in my wallet next to my work badge and my T pass, both of which are also RFID cards, and it worked fine.

Hawk

My post last night may have come across a bit harsh. Generally speaking I'm in favor of RFID systems as it is certainly better technology than barcode scanning. I'm just disappointed in the technical shortfalls of the solutions currently available in the market for ski areas to use. RFID is not new and at this point the technology should be mature enough to have mitigated the issue of credit cards and cell phones in the same pocket causing issues. At work I often see women that keep their access cards in their purse along with these other type of items having no issues with the readers being able to pick up the badge RFID signal and get through security. I was expecting/hoping the warning about interference for the ski passes was more of a general overly-cautious disclaimer and that people would say in reality they haven't had issues and it could be mostly ignored. Oh well.

CD, try it out and see what happens. What is the worse case? You have to take the card out and adjust. The other option that you can do is put the pass in a card holder on a lanyard and hang it around your neck. Then all you need to do is turn your torso. I have seen this done also.

djd66

Trust me - it will be much better than the scanning guns. It was really annoying when you would see empty chairs going up because the scanners did not work. I have used RFID at many other areas and I have never had an issue. I expect the new RFID system at SB to operate the same.

Hawk

Trust me - it will be much better than the scanning guns. It was really annoying when you would see empty chairs going up because the scanners did not work. I have used RFID at many other areas and I have never had an issue. I expect the new RFID system at SB to operate the same.

I do agree that those old scanners totally sucked. I don't know about you but my pass never worked. I even changed media mid season a couple of times to see if it would work better but NO!
But it is Sugarbush and something in the back of my mind is telling me that they will screw it up some how. We will see. I hope you are right.

Jully

I have RFID on 2 of my work badges that are both worn around my neck. If I just push both up against a scanner, it does not work ~50% of the time. If I only push the one I want up against the scanner and pull the other back with my hand, it works 100% of the time.

Any issues with things interfering with the RFID device will never go away to some extent. I doubt it has anything to do with Sugarbush being sloppy or inadequate with their installation. Car keys I bet would be fine... a wallet with multiple other RFID items in it I would think would be an issue.

Hawk

Two things about this. Your RFID at work is a interior localized scanner. You put your badge very close to it and it works fine. These at SB are a Halo type that monitors a much larger area(Your whole left side) It has a tendency to be a little more picky with signals so that is why they suggest not having anything in your pocket.
I was not saying the issues would be with the installation. The method on how they set up and execute the scanning could be a problem. Remember these are quad chairs. They will need to have a large pen after the scanning turnstile so that groups can re unite after the scanning. So what happens is people get caught behind someone with a bad card or an expired card. The people ahead wait in the corral for them. This bogs down the loading and chairs go up empty. That is why they need a big corral so people can wait for their fiends and family. Hopefully this has been thought out and planned well.

Jully

Two things about this. Your RFID at work is a interior localized scanner. You put your badge very close to it and it works fine. These at SB are a Halo type that monitors a much larger area(Your whole left side) It has a tendency to be a little more picky with signals so that is why they suggest not having anything in your pocket.

Interesting. Did not know that!

Those are good operational points though, it will be interesting to see what happens at SB with it. I went to Wachusett a few times last year and used their new RFID system. On one of their quads they had a big corral afterwards and it worked great, on the other quad they did not and it was a big pain. Wasn't ever too crowded since I went at night, but I imagine that it must have been pretty annoying during the crazy crowded weekend days.