• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Tin Woodsman

Sugarbush has proposed to put a building at the old base of the village lift. Here is a site plan from 2015 when gad brook was going threw permitting.

http://www.warrenvt.org/depts/drb/2...IB/Plans/(1-27-15 Revised) M1 Master Plan.pdf

Ah yes - the long-awaited and much-anticipated Building E from the LP Village master plan. That's the one that's supposed to have some sort of retail and/or foodservice on the ground floor and would indeed be the keystone in trying to link the base with SB Village to the North. IIRC, that will remain just a rendering until and unless all of the units in Rice Brook are sold.

My question is whether the re-grading and new retaining wall helps with circulation in that area when coming from/going to the Out to Lunch area. I never understood how that was all going to come together and it's not immediately apparent from these pics.

cdskier

Ah yes - the long-awaited and much-anticipated Building E from the LP Village master plan. That's the one that's supposed to have some sort of retail and/or foodservice on the ground floor and would indeed be the keystone in trying to link the base with SB Village to the North. IIRC, that will remain just a rendering until and unless all of the units in Rice Brook are sold.

Did you mean Gadd Brook, not Rice Brook?

Hawk

Not totally sure what the wall is about but I do know that the new Village Quad is shown on the latest plan as being moved over to the other side of Easy Rider. The new lift was also to be shortened by moving the base up the hill a little and the top moved down just below the traversing trail over to the Gate House lift. If these clowns would ever fix the SkiMRV site I could link the thread that has all the latest plans.

benski

I think win said this spring they are keeping the upper terminal of the village lift wear it is. I think condo owners on out to lunch were unhappy with the changed alignment.

Hawk

I think win said this spring they are keeping the upper terminal of the village lift wear it is. I think condo owners on out to lunch were unhappy with the changed alignment.

I never heard anything like that. I don't think what condo owners said had any bearing on the decision. Condo owners like myself can still easily access out to lunch by using the Gatehouse lift and the new location of the top shown on the plan would still allow you to get over to out to lunch with a mild side hill traverse slightly up hill. Interesting if they did move the location. That would require an amendment filing with the Town and also the state per act 250 and correspondence would have been sent out. I did not see any of that but maybe I missed it. Interesting. I will now inquire.

slatham

Yes I recall this as well, even though some previous plans showed a realignment. Also the pics looks like the new lift is on the same line as he old. Just the base terminal is further uphill.

cdskier

I never heard anything like that. I don't think what condo owners said had any bearing on the decision. Condo owners like myself can still easily access out to lunch by using the Gatehouse lift and the new location of the top shown on the plan would still allow you to get over to out to lunch with a mild side hill traverse slightly up hill. Interesting if they did move the location. That would require an amendment filing with the Town and also the state per act 250 and correspondence would have been sent out. I did not see any of that but maybe I missed it. Interesting. I will now inquire.

Here's what Win said back in March when the new lift was announced: "The new lift will begin a bit higher on the mountain-- near the existing tower 2--and terminate at the same place." So yes, the new lift is in the same location as the old lift with just the base terminal being higher up the hill.

Hawk

Maybe since it became a replacement of an existing failing lift it was grandfathered and did not need regulatory approval to deviate from the approved plan they had. All very interesting to me. It will give me something to do while up next week.

cdskier

Maybe since it became a replacement of an existing failing lift it was grandfathered and did not need regulatory approval to deviate from the approved plan they had. All very interesting to me. It will give me something to do while up next week.

Here's all the ACT 250 documents for the new lift. Warren's website is a mess finding documents, so I gave up looking for anything at the town level that was submitted.

https://anrweb.vt.gov/ANR/vtANR/Act250SearchResults.aspx?Num=5W1045-40

Hawk

Well now CD. This explains basically everything. The reason that I personally did not get notification of this particular filing is I am not on the abutters list. I was for the Phase II filing the first time. The maps attached show the locations of both the original lift and the new lift. The new bottom terminal was relocated to just above the lower foot bridge and to the left as you look up the hill. The top is the same. The new wall is below the new lift base at the lower side of the foot path that goes from the bridge to the School house. The new lift costs $1.264 Million per the fee attachment.

teleo

Yes i think you all heve thi right as far as i can tell. A couple photos from today. Taken from near the upper bridge heading to the village. Looking downhill the schoolhouse on far right, top of wall is just on the downhill side of lower bridge. The rebar sticking out must be the bottom terminal just uphill from the lower bridge.

Looking up the top terminal looks to be in place at about the old top. Might take a walk up there to check it out if I get a chance.
0c1290d2a464121ae4e9ad27c614e608.jpg
6080d634e9e4ae4e4aabcf60eac7eba6.jpg

teleo

A few more photos from this morning's walk. From the lower bridge by gadd brook, wall is just on the left and lower terminal is not visible. All the parts are in the heli lot. From the heli lot looking back to the lower bridge with lower terminal.
1458bac4fb3090301c0c6c490f1b863d.jpg
66a8359973dfad89e3ad0538e86e7f23.jpg
5b4377be8eba05b3eb47d0087a745b6d.jpg

Hawk

At Lincoln Peak all the towers are now set and the rest of the hardware is ready to go in the parking lot. Also the concrete bases for the top and bottom terminals is set and ready to go. Woke up this morning to trucks and equipment going up and down the road so no Labor day holiday for these guys.

ingsy

Hi folks. New here, just got a 30s season pass to Sugarbush. Can't wait for snow. Any of you guys ever do the Lincoln Limo / cat skiing here?

WWF-VT

Hi folks. New here, just got a 30s season pass to Sugarbush. Can't wait for snow. Any of you guys ever do the Lincoln Limo / cat skiing here?

I have never done the Lincoln Limo. Powder days I am in line early at the GMX at Mt Ellen. In December, hike to Castlerock before they run the chair for some of the best skiing at LP.

cdskier

Never done the Lincoln Limo either for skiing (I took it up for the Sunset Groomer ride once). I know people that have done the first tracks and they said it was a blast. I'm sure it is fun and one day I would like to do it, but at the moment I'm not sure it is worth spending $75 for a handful of runs before the lifts open to everyone else.

Now hiking to Castlerock in December mid-week on the other hand is well worth it when they have that open but don't have the CR lift running yet. I had some amazing runs all to myself this past December there.

benski

Never done the Lincoln Limo either for skiing (I took it up for the Sunset Groomer ride once). I know people that have done the first tracks and they said it was a blast. I'm sure it is fun and one day I would like to do it, but at the moment I'm not sure it is worth spending $75 for a handful of runs before the lifts open to everyone else.

Now hiking to Castlerock in December mid-week on the other hand is well worth it when they have that open but don't have the CR lift running yet. I had some amazing runs all to myself this past December there.

Having done it, this is accurate. The Limo usually does one run on bravo then over the North Lynx for 2 runs then into slide brook, or at least when I did it. It is certainly a treat.

djd66

Has anyone ever rented the LL for the day? Personally - if the conditions are right - I think that is the best bargain going - $1700 for the day (I'm thinking Mt. Ellen after a 2' spring dump) I almost pulled the trigger on this a couple of years ago but was not able to get up there. It is on my SB bucket list. Imagine you and 11 other people just doing laps on untracked!