• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

kingslug

Watching little kids going through the rocks and ice is fun..thats why they grow up to be killer mogul skiers..i started at 30 so i missed all that.

smac75

Watching little kids going through the rocks and ice is fun..thats why they grow up to be killer mogul skiers..i started at 30 so i missed all that.

My kid (age 9) is in the blazer program. Per usual they jumped into Slidebrook last week as conditions permitted it. New kid in group (came from Okemo "blazer" program) tells mom "we went through these woods, and came out on a road and had to wait for a bus to come get us". Next weekend kid moved to non-woods Blazer group - pretty sure that parent was a bit shell-shocked. Guess we do things a bit different at SB!

mikec142

My kid (age 9) is in the blazer program. Per usual they jumped into Slidebrook last week as conditions permitted it. New kid in group (came from Okemo "blazer" program) tells mom "we went through these woods, and came out on a road and had to wait for a bus to come get us". Next weekend kid moved to non-woods Blazer group - pretty sure that parent was a bit shell-shocked. Guess we do things a bit different at SB!

I wish we lived close enough for my kids to participate in the Blazer program. I saw them all over the mountain (and in the woods) on Sunday.

cdskier

I was I had a Blazer program growing up (or even just learned to ski that young...I didn't start until HS). Awesome what those kids do at SB!

Hawk

The blazer kids were cool....until diggity, Rickity, and a few others starting taking their mob of kids into lightly skied wooded areas. Then they told two friends and they told two friends and so on.......

Hawk

I will have to agree that Saturday, Sunday and Monday were pretty good skiing earlier in the day. Later on we found ourselves piecing together lower angel woods sections to keep entertained. I had a lot of fun. But enough is enough. Off for Big Sky for a while to ski with a bunch of ex-sugarbush converts. Not sure what the connection is but there are a good number or VT transplants there. Full on Backcountry itinerary is expected. I am so Stoked I can hardly contain myself.

djd66

The blazer kids were cool....until diggity, Rickity, and a few others starting taking their mob of kids into lightly skied wooded areas. Then they told two friends and they told two friends and so on.......

Hawk - Do you have kids? I do. My son skis in the Mountaineering Blazer program and he absolutely loves it. So much so that he is really pissed off if we ever take a weekend off. Those guys along with myself have really given him a passion for skiing. Sorry to hear you have an issue with them skiing places that are "lightly skied" as you mention above. Guess what - those places are open to anyone that wants to ski them. If my son was stuck on just the trails or some of the heavily traveled woods runs - he would be bored shitless! I am guessing that someone took you on these trails at some point and that is how you found out about them. I have no issue with that either.

mikec142

The interesting thing is that I assume that all mountains have some form of the blazer program, but the SB one seems to be particularly well run and popular.

Hawk

Hawk - Do you have kids? I do. My son skis in the Mountaineering Blazer program and he absolutely loves it. So much so that he is really pissed off if we ever take a weekend off. Those guys along with myself have really given him a passion for skiing. Sorry to hear you have an issue with them skiing places that are "lightly skied" as you mention above. Guess what - those places are open to anyone that wants to ski them. If my son was stuck on just the trails or some of the heavily traveled woods runs - he would be bored shitless! I am guessing that someone took you on these trails at some point and that is how you found out about them. I have no issue with that either.
Your taking my comments to seriously and totally wrong. I am very good friends with Diggity and Rick Hale and many others with the coaching staff. It was more about busting their balls. You are correct that people can ski anywhere they want. People do. Just stating the facts sir. A few of us who have been skiing the certain areas for years(like 15 or 20) noticed that since the advent of the blazers and Bush Pilots, these areas are now overrun by these programs. So to answer your question, NO. No one showed me any of these areas. I am not one of those people. People like Diggity and John Atkinson would not take me at first and that was how they were before the programs started. So I hiked in the summer and skinned in the winter to do recon. My first years of skiing at the Bush were filled with pushing thought the swack and thick brush and struggling to find areas. So I truly earned the knowledge. This was also in the era of no garmin or social media for the recon.

I know you feel it is your duty on here to call me out as you have on several occasions. But as a long time skier of this place can you afford me a little lamentment about the way things used to be. You obviously have no idea what I am talking about so I will not expect that you would get it.

And no I do not have kids. It was not in the cards for us. But if I did I would teach my kid the ropes myself.

djd66

Hawk - yes I have called you out because you have consistently made ridiculous comments,... this being one of them. So know one showed you ANYTHING at Surarbush - you had to slog through all 4,000 acres to find a private stash that you could ski all to yourself? Wow,... that sounds like fun.

You love to tell us how long you have been skiing and you know more locals than Win Smith. Is this suppose to give you some kind of street cred?? To use your words, I don't get it.

Hawk

You are a total ass with your personnel attacks. I'm through with you. We have nothing in common and it totally shows. You make some huge ridiculous leaps with your post. What's ridiculous about what I said? You really have no idea do you.

nhskier1969

"Our grooming team plans to wait for the freeze before hitting the hill, but when they do they'll be resurfacing 42 of 66 expected open trails. Due to the delay, we will be adjusting our Lincoln Peak lift opening schedule for the morning."

I 100% agree. They should have done this several times before during thaw/freeze events.

djd66

You are a total ass with your personnel attacks. I'm through with you. We have nothing in common and it totally shows. You make some huge ridiculous leaps with your post. What's ridiculous about what I said? You really have no idea do you.

Not sure what you are referring to in regards to personal attacks. You have no idea who I am. All I know is I have been reading your posts for years and they are rediculous. That's my opinion. Yep, 45 plus years skiing, some of those years as a professional I guess should not have any opinion. You complain that the Blazer kids are skiing on your private terrain WTF?? Yeah, I have no issue calling you out on such a rediculous comment.

Hawk

Not sure what you are referring to in regards to personal attacks. You have no idea who I am. All I know is I have been reading your posts for years and they are rediculous. That's my opinion. Yep, 45 plus years skiing, some of those years as a professional I guess should not have any opinion. You complain that the Blazer kids are skiing on your private terrain WTF?? Yeah, I have no issue calling you out on such a rediculous comment.
My posts are a reflection of what the people I ski with are saying. Just because your opinion is different does not make mine any better or worse. In no way did I ever say that the areas the Blazer kids were skiing were my private stash. I was only expressing my sadness that things have changed and areas that were previously lightly skied by a few that actually took the time to do the work to find the areas are now totally blasted out by the programs. Yes it is there rite to go anywhere but it is also fair that I can be sad about it. I don't know why your comments bother me because your right, I don't know you. Maybe its because it is coming from a rich guy from the south that pays and extra $2,200 to dump his kid off into a program so he can go free ski with his wife and friends. And then you get all bothered when someone mentions anything negative about it. Like I said, I am done with you.

Howitzer

Sugarbush is a partner on the Ikon Pass for next year. More details to follow, but this is big news.