• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

I don't think the staff and ownership at Sugarbush needs any more defending because their actions speak for themselves. But I want to briefly relate three stories (that I've probably already told further back in this thread).

A couple of years back during a holiday weekend, I arranged for a private lesson for my family of four. During the lesson, it was clear that my family wasn't hitting it off with the instructor and were not having a great time. I was going to write it off as one of those uncontrollable things, but my wife said to mention it to the ski school people as the lesson was a lot of money. I spoke with Russ Kauff (not sure if he's still there) who was the head of the ski school at the time. He immediately said, "what can I do to make this situation better for you and your family." No arguing, no passing the buck. Just quick, decisive action. He immediately arranged for afternoon private lessons for my two girls with not one, but two, awesome young instructors. My kids frowns turned to huge smiles right away. To me, this was the perfect way to handle what could have been an unpleasant experience for us. Instead, Russ made us Sugarbush skiers for life.

Another quick story, this past Christmas Day, I was skiing with three families (15 people) and we finished the day in Castlerock Pub. We didn't realize that they were shutting the kitchen down and when we found out, we were in a panic as to where we could have dinner for 15 people. Without us even asking, the bartender (big guy with an amazing white beard) called around and got us a reservation at the HydeAway for an hour later. Saved us a ton of anxiety and frustration.

Lastly, I usually drop my wife and kids at the base of LP in the lot and then go park the car, leaving my wife and kids to lug our skis up the steps. The guys in the parking lot at the equipment drop off always rush over and help my family to carry the equipment up the steps.

The skiing and vibe at Sugarbush is great so I would ski there anyway. But these extra touches are why I consider Sugarbush my home mountain even though it's 5.5 hours from where I live.

rocks860

I don't think the staff and ownership at Sugarbush needs any more defending because their actions speak for themselves. But I want to briefly relate three stories (that I've probably already told further back in this thread).

A couple of years back during a holiday weekend, I arranged for a private lesson for my family of four. During the lesson, it was clear that my family wasn't hitting it off with the instructor and were not having a great time. I was going to write it off as one of those uncontrollable things, but my wife said to mention it to the ski school people as the lesson was a lot of money. I spoke with Russ Kauff (not sure if he's still there) who was the head of the ski school at the time. He immediately said, "what can I do to make this situation better for you and your family." No arguing, no passing the buck. Just quick, decisive action. He immediately arranged for afternoon private lessons for my two girls with not one, but two, awesome young instructors. My kids frowns turned to huge smiles right away. To me, this was the perfect way to handle what could have been an unpleasant experience for us. Instead, Russ made us Sugarbush skiers for life.

Another quick story, this past Christmas Day, I was skiing with three families (15 people) and we finished the day in Castlerock Pub. We didn't realize that they were shutting the kitchen down and when we found out, we were in a panic as to where we could have dinner for 15 people. Without us even asking, the bartender (big guy with an amazing white beard) called around and got us a reservation at the HydeAway for an hour later. Saved us a ton of anxiety and frustration.

Lastly, I usually drop my wife and kids at the base of LP in the lot and then go park the car, leaving my wife and kids to lug our skis up the steps. The guys in the parking lot at the equipment drop off always rush over and help my family to carry the equipment up the steps.

The skiing and vibe at Sugarbush is great so I would ski there anyway. But these extra touches are why I consider Sugarbush my home mountain even though it's 5.5 hours from where I live.

Guy at the bar was Shawn (Sean?). Great guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of years back during a holiday weekend, I arranged for a private lesson for my family of four. During the lesson, it was clear that my family wasn't hitting it off with the instructor and were not having a great time.

Was the instructor's name Andrea by any chance?

rocks860

I’m thinking of trying to make it up a week from Saturday. Have to dog sit this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WinS

Thanks for the comments about our team here at Sugarbush. I am blessed to have just nice people on the team who really are dedicated to doing the best job for our guests, and they work really hard at it.

Tomorrow we will be opening both GMX and Northridge Express at 8am so anyone up here can enjoy some early powder. Drive safely - the roads are slippery and snow is steadily falling.

bdfreetuna

Thanks for the comments about our team here at Sugarbush. I am blessed to have just nice people on the team who really are dedicated to doing the best job for our guests, and they work really hard at it.

Tomorrow we will be opening both GMX and Northridge Express at 8am so anyone up here can enjoy some early powder. Drive safely - the roads are slippery and snow is steadily falling.

So no comment on the events I described previously.

I would like to know:

What is your corporate policy on taking public positions on politically divisive issues? Is this something you see wise from a business standpoint or necessary from an ideological standpoint?

What is your policy on allowing employees to engage customers on official Sugarbush posts/threads using personal account on social media, regarding the level of basic respect towards customers? I too have experienced a high level of service face to face with Sugarbush staff. That's not the issue I'm describing, and you're ignoring.

I have skied Sugarbush at least 2 dozen times... which makes me entitled to zilch. However I find it odd that you completely dodged all my legitimate, and specific complaints.

WinS

So no comment on the events I described previously.

I would like to know:

What is your corporate policy on taking public positions on politically divisive issues? Is this something you see wise from a business standpoint or necessary from an ideological standpoint?

What is your policy on allowing employees to engage customers on official Sugarbush posts/threads using personal account on social media, regarding the level of basic respect towards customers? I too have experienced a high level of service face to face with Sugarbush staff. That's not the issue I'm describing, and you're ignoring.

I have skied Sugarbush at least 2 dozen times... which makes me entitled to zilch. However I find it odd that you completely dodged all my legitimate, and specific complaints.

We do not take normally take political stands as a company and do not contribute to any politician. However, on something like Climate Change which impacts the future of our business, we will express our point of view as will many of our fellow ski resorts. We are part of NSAA's Climate Challenge and a partner of Protect our Winters. If there is a piece of legislation that might impact our operation, we will also speak up on that either through one of our trade organizations or directly as other do as well.

We do not allow our employees to use their own social media to address Sugarbush business. I am not sure of the specifics of what you are speaking about, but email me directly at wsmith@sugarbush.com and we can discuss it. And we do not tolerate rudeness to anyone.

bdfreetuna

That's all understandable.

You heard my complaint. I find your point of view on climate change to be political [although I realize you do not see it that way] and making a post to that effect on an issue which half the country disagrees seems like asking for a negative response. I saw no reason why a ski resort should weigh in on a Florida nightclub shooting with sudden "support" for LGBT. It seems contrived, calculated, fake, and frankly didn't represent the facts of the situation at hand.

This post was made before the facts came to light about the shooter pledging allegiance to ISIS, which was the point I made, so maybe you should point your finger more accurately before weighing in the next morning when the facts aren't fully available.

I'm not motivated to continue making an issue of it. I will continue to support your neighbors in the foreseeable future, but that may change some day. I appreciate your explanation; my only intention here was to state my opinion in a forum where you read it and you can factor that into your future business decisions.

prsboogie

That's all understandable.

You heard my complaint. I find your point of view on climate change to be political [although I realize you do not see it that way] and making a post to that effect on an issue which half the country disagrees seems like asking for a negative response. I saw no reason why a ski resort should weigh in on a Florida nightclub shooting with sudden "support" for LGBT. It seems contrived, calculated, fake, and frankly didn't represent the facts of the situation at hand.

This post was made before the facts came to light about the shooter pledging allegiance to ISIS, which was the point I made, so maybe you should point your finger more accurately before weighing in the next morning when the facts aren't fully available.

I'm not motivated to continue making an issue of it. I will continue to support your neighbors in the foreseeable future, but that may change some day. I appreciate your explanation; my only intention here was to state my opinion in a forum where you read it and you can factor that into your future business decisions.
Can we please move on now! It's nuking out in case no one noticed!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

DHS you're a little late to this party. I said my piece, Win replied. Didn't know these were ski area specific "praise-only" threads. Go back a few posts.

deadheadskier

Staff member
DHS you're a little late to this party. I said my piece, Win replied. Didn't know these were ski area specific "praise-only" threads. Go back a few posts.
Didn't say they were

He offered his email address to discuss.

Take it there.

I doubt anyone cares about your Facebook battle from a year ago. You've made your point plenty enough publicly

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Dude this was ended several posts before you weighed in. I made a legitimate complaint on the ski areas thread, Win eventually addressed it. I'm satisfied and have no reason to look at this thread anymore except reply to you.

jimmck

Suffice to say, the skiing was quite fun at Lincoln Peak today.

I'm just gonna throw up some pics and get us back to skiing and riding...
aee0067859bf24670d3ded3e1e769f25.jpg
9bea87c2543eb55cba60f4f576b8fe84.jpg
731f43e7284b3dc7d44f6f5dfaf4a4b2.jpg
60757cf09e2e7852a1585f8c8394ba82.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

cdskier

Damn...there is some serious drifting of snow going on right now on the summit judging by the snow cam up there! The weekend can't get here quickly enough so I can get back out there.

Plowboy

Plowboy here, been lurking for the most lately, as the old days of SkiMRV are gone and FB is around my snow reports have not really been needed. Tonights report: pushed off about 10" near the base of ME and got about another 2" and snowing hard!!
Could someone "Beam" me back to 1981/82/83/84. The last of the Gondola days!! No Social Media!! If you got caught skiing the woods you lost your pass for a week, if you were an employee you got fired. We had to do a twig check before we headed back to the lift to make sure we didn't have any branches hanging from our hat or parkas! Dennis Curren(sp) was the head of ski patrol, he would let a few of us ski Paradise when it was closed, just had to check in after. Beers were 25c for happy hour at the Snuggery, Gallager's had a band every night. The Blue Tooth had Jay Burr and Dave Mellow playing every day for happy hour(the place was rockin)!!!

Oh Damn I just woke up from that dream.........Carry on and have an awesome powder day!!!