• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Tin Woodsman

I don't ski North as much, so I can't speak for that with a whole lot of authority. However, my general rule there is to avoid the Summit Quad as much as possible. It is usually the most crowded lift and only gives you access to Upper FIS, Black Diamond, and the top of Panorama. Nice runs and all, but not worth waiting the extra time for. I generally stay on the North Ridge HSQ with the occasionaly jaunt down to the GMX and even Inverness - Semi-Tough and Brambles are two of the best runs on the hill (at least Brambles WAS before the GMVS destroyed it) while Inverness itself is a fantastic high speed cruiser.

As for South, the key is definitely to get away from Super Bravo and Gate House as quickly as possible, especially between 10AM and noon. It's just packed in that time period. Between 10:30 and noon, Heaven's Gate gets similarly slammed. Same for Castlerock on a powder day, though it's usually emptier if it hasn't snowed in a while. Valley House and North Lynx are almost always ski on, with the VH a little less so. In the afternoons, you can pretty much go anywhere except for SB and GH in the 1:30 - 2:30 time frame when people are coming out from lunch. Still, the beauty of the SB lift system is that is naturally speads out the crowds and even allows for a bit of liftline arbitrage b/w North and South if South gets too ridiculously crowded. I've engaged in it several times. Of course you can always duck into Slide Brook for a 30-45 minute lap while the crowds sort themselves out as well.

Just keep you eyes and ears open and keep trying new lifts - you are bound to find one that isn't crowded.

WWF-VT

I have spent many days at both Sugarbush and Stowe and have concluded that a day at Sugarbush will give you a lot more time on the mountain and less time in line than Stowe. Stowe lines gets backed up on the Mansfield Quad and Gondola – and their lifts suffer from the same "wind hold” challenge. The good news is on a busy day the crowd gets well dispersed on the mountain.

Midweek both Stowe and Sugarbush are typically uncrowded.

I have spent weekends at Sugarbush and there are sometimes lines at the Lincoln Peak Super Bravo and Gate House quads. The condos, ski programs, lessons, etc are based at Lincoln Peak / SB South. A line and wait at Sugarbush on a busy day is 10 minutes, which IMHO is nothing, compared to the traffic jams at some of the lifts at Okemo, Kmart and others.

Best bet if you ski on weekends is to hit Mt Ellen for the first chair on a Sunday morning – you’ll be in for a treat !

castlerock

Are you kidding about lines at Sugarbush? Come on, just as difficulty is relative at ski areas lineas are to. A long line at Sugarbush is a short line most other places. Sure Bravo gets up to a 6 minute wait some mornings at 10 and Heaven's Gate the same a half hour later. Mon dieu, they'd kill for short lines like that at Krock, Smuggs, SomedayBigger etc.

I skied every weekend, except Presidents this past season. I never waited longer than 10 mins. (equip breakdown created lines excepted

One interesting note from homeowners weekend, I heard. There is a formula in the ski industry for "comfortable carrying capacity" It factors in skiable acerage, uphill capacity, and physical plant (baselodge sq ft etc). I forget the exact numbers, but the limiting factor at the bush is baselodge sq. footage. They could almost double the number of skiers before the lifts would hit the "uncomfortable" stage.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
The number of skier days at the Bush is way down from the numbers in it's heyday and considerably less than SR and Mt Snow. Part of the reason ASC chose to sell the Bush.

On the weekends I too start at North, take the Summit Quad for that incredible view, take a few runs then head over to South via the Slidebrook Express.

skibum1321

I tend to ski either the whole day at South or the whole day at North. I don't like the hassle and wasted time of Slidebrook or the Shuttle. The exception to that is when I ski Slidebrook from North and take the shuttle back to South. My issue with Slidebrook has always been that I don't want to ride a lift that doesn't give me any elevation gain.

AHM

Skipping the brook........

Brook chair rocks. It allows the whole area to be easily skied. Grab some morning runs at North, hit up some slidebrook or grab the lift over, check out the elevator while riding. Jump directy to the rock at noon. Then ski lincoln, finish with some other slidebrooks, chair home if you need depending on where the first shuttle is going. Slidebrook revoltionized SB skiing. Also created the nicer exits out of Slidebrook and better maintained exits.AHM

kcyanks1

I rarely have a problem with crowds at Sugarbush. The Super Bravo and Gatehouse chairs at the base might build a line particularly AM and lunch time, but the lines move quick for the high speed lifts. At least on weekends (when I'm normally there), the Valley House is running and is line free. Heaven's Gate generally has a limited wait. Castlerock is the only lift that waiting really is a concern, and like MRG's lifts, it's due to the low capacity, and the terrain is worth the wait. I would not hesitate to go there on a weekend.

ozskier

Website
instagram.com
ski_resort_observer said:
The number of skier days at the Bush is way down from the numbers in it's heyday and considerably less than SR and Mt Snow. Part of the reason ASC chose to sell the Bush.

On the weekends I too start at North, take the Summit Quad for that incredible view, take a few runs then head over to South via the Slidebrook Express.

Fighting tooth and nail for on mountain lodging wasn't helping either. Resorts make more money when you stay overnight, especially in their beds.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
ozskier said:
Fighting tooth and nail for on mountain lodging wasn't helping either.

Welcome to Vermont. Act 250 is supposed to be hard.

The Bush(ASC) fought, they won, then they gave up. The Bush(Summit) fought, they won, then they gave up. Hopefully the third time is the charm.

The biggest money maker(%) for the Bush and most resorts with base lodging is the Sewage and Water Depts. There is alot of money there and that ain't just a bunch of crap. :lol:

Treeskier

Snow in them there hills

Just got this from an MT employee:

And yes, the important stuff… we did get a dusting on the summit last night. I saw flurries mixed with rain at my house on the access Rd early this morning, but lift ops reported about an inch on top. Mount Washington got 18 inches.

:D

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, it was sleeting/trying to snow yesterday here in the Upper Valley.

As much as Castlerock and Heaven's Gate is cool, I still have a real love for Ellen. The views and 'big mountain ski experience' make it the best IMHO. No crowds either...what's wrong with that? Love Lower FIS and the variety of the whole mountain. Wish the Inverness was opened to the public more often--Brambles is a classic! :beer: Or at least once was a classic :roll:

djspookman

Re: Snow in them there hills

Treeskier said:
Just got this from an MT employee:

And yes, the important stuff… we did get a dusting on the summit last night. I saw flurries mixed with rain at my house on the access Rd early this morning, but lift ops reported about an inch on top. Mount Washington got 18 inches.

:D

damn.. and i missed it!:) I'm on the upper end of German Flats and we didn't see anything last night! 40 wsa as cold as it got.. finally had to turn the heat on! I wish I could have seen the top of the mountain this morning, but all those clouds were blocking the view.

dave

Tin Woodsman

Does anyone know whether the construction work on Clay Brook and in the base area in general is performed on Sundays? Or do they take that day off? IIRC, the base area was pretty deserted during Sundays last off-season, but I haven't been up there much to observe this year.

Lostone

They have been taking Sundays off.

Mostly the only people in there on Sundays are the (very many) people looking to see what is going on. :wink:

Tin Woodsman

Very well then. Thanks for the 411. I'll be coming up at some point just to "see what's going on".

Treeskier

Looking for ski house members....Interested? Know anyone?

Sugarbush Ski House
Ski addicted, fun-loving group. Hot tub, large living/dining room, 5 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths, awesome views. First plowed out, just minutes to Sugarbush's MT Ellen & Lincoln Peak, and Mad River. $1200.00 for Nov.15-May 1. Call Gregg or Deb 508-877-7700.

Lostone

For those who have an interest...

We pretty much lost peak foliage, this year. It came during two weeks of almost constant rain.

Still, I got out once or twice. I've now sorted almost half of my pix. I've posted a few of them on my MSN site. You can see how it starts with mostly greenand proceeds to... a point which is still on my drive, waiting to be sorted and some posted.
Foliage 2005.

I've also redone my Claybrook pix album. The pix are now together in chronological order.

Claybrook Project Progress