• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Lostone

Some answers... some guesses

Answer: The work behind Gatehouse is a start. The next step will be to take more of it out to enable skier traffic behind the newer, bigger Gatehouse, tentatively scheduled for next year.

Guesses: The reason for doing the tree clearing part of it was that the equipment was on site for other work.

I believe the road to the right to be a service road to North for groomers, ect.

The block, is more than a block or a lift base. If you look at it, there are pipes coming out of the top. I feel one of them is an exhaust pipe. It comes up and bends back down and ends. Seems like an air exhaust?

There is another very similar on the road that leads from Village Run Road to Out To Lunch, just below the bridge.

Again, other than the first part, I deal only in rumors. :wink:

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Re: Some answers... some guesses

Lostone said:
I believe the road to the right to be a service road to North for groomers, ect.
Possibly connected to the road which starts skier's left of the top of Sunrise, passing under the Slide Brook lift and continuing that way?

I think we've had this discussion before...

Lostone

This one is way below the one from Sunshine. It is a little below Gatehouse.

As to where that one goes, it is amazing to me that I've never wandered very far along that one. People that have started it during ski season said that it was only a dead end.

Anyone know about that one for sure? On my topographic map it seems like it would have to go back to the left and up around 700' to get to the summit of North, but going straight from its beginning would head to just a little below the GMX top.

Looking back at the TerraServer map, if you look at this view it looks like it goes just beyond Sunrise and turns back down toward the trail.

Treeskier

Blue Tooth to be open this winter

Contrary to roomer, it was announced that the Blue Tooth will be open this year :beer:

The past storms did leave lots of new downed limbs so the MT has had to go back and re-clean their tree runs...according to Hardy.

Ski Yah

Strat

Website
www.geocities.com
Lostone said:
This one is way below the one from Sunshine. It is a little below Gatehouse.

As to where that one goes, it is amazing to me that I've never wandered very far along that one. People that have started it during ski season said that it was only a dead end.

Anyone know about that one for sure? On my topographic map it seems like it would have to go back to the left and up around 700' to get to the summit of North, but going straight from its beginning would head to just a little below the GMX top.

Looking back at the TerraServer map, if you look at this view it looks like it goes just beyond Sunrise and turns back down toward the trail.
I know it's way below, but the Village Run one does go up and I thought there may be a possible connection... not quite sure where you're going with the whole summit of north thing, a bit confused as to what you're talking about... I'm referring to a trail cut off the top of Sunrise that passes under the Slidebrook lift and continues in an easterly direction, somewhat parallel to the upper, flat section of village run... you seem to be discussing a trail through the slide brook basin that goes directly north... are we on the same page?

By the way, I highly recommend you download the excellent program NASA Worldwind... needs a fast connection and quite a bit of computer resources, but it allows you to view the topo maps and aerial imagery over three-dimensional views of the actual terrain, much as google earth does, though with relevant data for vermont... link is http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
Thought I posted about this before, but a search indicates that I haven't... excellent program, great for any skier who's interested in aerial photography and whatnot...

Tin Woodsman

What I Know: I've gone down that road from the top of Sunrise, and as far as I could tell, it was just a dead end. There is no road that starts at Sunrise and crosses under the SBX. The road in question is where the Slide Brook tours cross the SBX liftline and continue on to the blazed runs.

Conjecture: It appears as though Terraserver is playing tricks on us b/c I never saw any bend back towards Sunrise. I think that's just the outline of the large stand of softwoods at the top of Sunrise, a stand which appears to have at one time been part of the trail. Was Sunrise narrowed at some point due to the wind/sun exposure such a wide run would have in that location? It would make sense if so. Those trees to the left are clearly younger and of a different species than everything around them.

Speculation: I wouldn't be at all surprised if the road off of Village Run continues upward and onward to somewhere even if it isn't visible on Terraserver. Having spent a fair bit of time in the woods of SB, I am always struck by the number of abandoned and semi-abandoned jeep roads, tracks, and logging roads you come across. They make for fine skiin', that's for sure.

AHM

Ski Report: Skied from Summit to Glen House on Sunday Nov 13. Rim run to elbow. Coverage was excellent, no bare spots, briars, etc. Snow was creamy, like early spring corn when top inch or so has softened. Hiked LP and cruised over the LT. Came down from ME summit at about 4:30 pm with the whole sky bathed in Alpin glow. It was excellent. Great way to start my season sinced I missed the early snows. If all goes well, opening should be pretty nice. All of rim has been blown in pretty well two. Lower elbow not ready yet.AHM

walknet2

The mystery road at the top of Village Run was built 20 + years ago to accomodate well drilling equipment. A couple of wells were drilled for Mtn. Water Co. that supplies the village with domestic water, they turned out to be "dusters".

Lostone

Strat
not quite sure where you're going with the whole summit of north thing, a bit confused as to what you're talking about

Welcome to the club. :wink:

I'd read your part and had answered that by sayint that the two were greatly different in elevation. I then proceeded on my own, wondering if it would be heading to North, and found it was way below summit... and the rest.

walknet2
Yes, welcome to the forum.

Are you saying that road at the top of V-R doesn't make it to North? I'd been told that was used as a service road to there.

anyone
Any other guesses as to the cement platform at the junction of V-R road and trail?

smootharc

Worldwind

Strat said:
By the way, I highly recommend you download the excellent program NASA Worldwind... needs a fast connection and quite a bit of computer resources, but it allows you to view the topo maps and aerial imagery over three-dimensional views of the actual terrain, much as google earth does, though with relevant data for vermont... link is http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
Thought I posted about this before, but a search indicates that I haven't... excellent program, great for any skier who's interested in aerial photography and whatnot...

There are a few drawbacks to my Macintosh computer....and not being able to access this program is one. Google earth is working on a mac version. But if anyone gets a 3D image of anything Sugarbush or Mad River Glen, I'd be interested in seeing it. I could probably open any of the imagery generated by the program. Anyways, thanks.

walknet2

Thanks for the welcome.

The road in question (being the one at the top of VR after the traverse from GH lift)used to dead end, I do not know if at somepoint later they continued it.

I remember at one point after ASC bought Sugarbush there were tentative plans on having a road from Lincoln Peak area to MT. Ellen for groomers & other resort equip. to move back and forth. The road was also going to have an air line for snowmaking so they could have a main air plant supplying the whole resort. I don't know how far they may have gotten with the road end of that idea and the proposed alignment, obviously the air thing never happended.

Tin Woodsman

Well it shouldn't be too tough to find out the answer. All that's arequired is a drive to the dead end atop Upper Village Rd. and then a few minutes of hiking to see where it goes.

On a separate note, what's with that new house up there at the last switchback being built 20 feet off the ground??!! I've never seen such a strange layout. Must be accessed via elevators or something.

Lostone

Probably have their own helicopter. :wink:

Not as bad looking as the white elephant a little lower, tho. :roll:

I describe that one as the house for someone with way too much money, who wants a place in Vermont, but really doesn't like anything about the place. :blink:

Be very interesting to see who actually buys it. :-?

Tin Woodsman

The upper house is actually quite a nice structure - just a bizarre means of access.

The white elephant? Just plain bizarre. That will be bought with dumb money, if at all. Did a builder actually build that on spec? If so, he should be shot.

Lostone

When I saw it I thought he had to have built it for someone ( with a lack of taste ) but everything I hear is that he's just operating on a "if you build it..." kinda thing. :roll:

Bad news is it is clearly visible from the mountain.

More interesting, is if you travle the dirt road behind it to the end, you'll see another place by the same builder. It looks really neat. :blink:

So you put the ugly thing in the open, and hide the one that looks good? :-? :roll:

WWF-VT

Is the "white elephant" the art deco style house that looks like it belongs on Miami beach, not at a ski mountain in Vermont ?

smootharc

Drove by a couple of weeks ago.....and it's definitely eye catching....

castlerock said:
Lostone said:
Be very interesting to see who actually buys it. :-?
Is that thing being built on spec? It is hideous. I thought it had to be built for someone.

....anyone called the builder to ask about the price ? Now I'm curious....

To tell you the truth....imho.....if you deleted the glass block, and changed the color from "Mediterranean sun-reflecting hot white" to something more organic, well, it might not project the "hideous out of placeness" it does now. The lines are different for sure, but not profoundly ugly taken as a whole (again, imho)...rather sculptural. Looks much better from ground level and below than the predominant view from above. Eye of the beholder thing going on there, definitely. Nice decks and all, but, golly, it's absolutely surrounded by road, and headlights coming close by. Just not a great building lot....

But it seems the whole mountain/resort areas of the MR valley are on the way up, perhaps getting sucked into the vaccum of price increases that are likely to occur increasingly in the valley as people go to Stratton, Okemo, Stowe, see $625k for a one-bedroom, and start looking around. The whole shebang (MRV) is waaaaaayyyyy undervalued when you add up all the positives of the place....and factor in that any new development will, basically, be ever so tightly controlled (or at least has so far).....so none of the over the top madness of other places in VT is ever likely to occur. One hopes....