• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

I wanted to hike to ME from LP last August when I was up there, but the weather was quite ominous and iffy that day. I went as far as the Church before deciding I didn't want to get caught up there in a storm and turned around and headed back to the LP base. The only other people I saw hiking that day were a mother and her kids that were hiking over to CR to spread some ashes apparently. Usually I run into a lot more people hiking around SB and the lack of others being around was a bit eerie. Hopefully this summer I can get a chance to do it. I've never been to the summit of ME during non-winter.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
If you approach Mt Ellen from the south via the LT (from Lincoln Peak), the actual true summit is a small cairn in the woods at the "height of land". You drop down a short bit and then pop out into the open at the top of summit. There used to be a small wooden LT-style sign that announced the summit, but it grew legs. :-(

cdskier

Steins is currently hanging on by a thread in a couple spots. Spring fling still is well covered and the groomers did a great job keeping a path open on snowball. Probably good that it is 20 degrees cooler than yesterday today with not much sun to help them make it to tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

hrstrat57

Steins is currently hanging on by a thread in a couple spots. Spring fling still is well covered and the groomers did a great job keeping a path open on snowball. Probably good that it is 20 degrees cooler than yesterday today with not much sun to help them make it to tomorrow.

Hard to believe they could keep Snowball open after yesterday, that sure is super impressive!

Any linky to pics or comments from anybody that has/is actually skiing it?

cdskier

Hard to believe they could keep Snowball open after yesterday, that sure is super impressive!

Any linky to pics or comments from anybody that has/is actually skiing it?

I only took a couple pics from my iPhone. I took more with my regular camera, but can't download them until tomorrow when I go home.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1493572669.582528.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1493572689.947089.jpg

cdskier

Doesn't look bad at all!

Yea, spring fling was definitely still in great shape. Still continues to amaze me how much snow disappears on a daily basis this time of year.

Hawk

So now that my season is over I have to say that the last month and a half changed my opinion of the season. Over all I would give the season a solid B rating. I skied a lot, skied the woods and slide brook a lot, the lifts seemed to run OK and they did make it to May 1st. There was a good section of total suck mid year but that sometimes is what we get here in New England. Another year in the books for me at Sugarbush and now I can concentrate on MTB and Road biking. Some trail maintenance also. ;-)

cdskier

Spring Fling was good but Steins was loud yesterday

Sure was. I skied it once and decided that was enough. Stuck to spring fling the rest of the time. On Saturday steins was pretty nice though.

Today my plan is 1 or 2 runs on spring fling and then I can head back to nj satisfied.

Los

Sure was. I skied it once and decided that was enough. Stuck to spring fling the rest of the time.

Me too!! But my 10 year old lapped it twice more by himself, including his last run of the season.

Here are a couple pics I took yesterday. It was a bit gloomy...
steins:
IMG_0856.jpg

Spring fling:
IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

dlague

Seems like thus the other day there was talk on this thread about how much snow was on Stein's and Spring Fling and now the trails are down to dirt dodging.

Domeskier

Seems like thus the other day there was talk on this thread about how much snow was on Stein's and Spring Fling and now the trails are down to dirt dodging.

I fancy myself an amateur physicist and the only explanation I can think of is wormholes.

cdskier

They did have a lot of snow not too long ago. Not too long ago Jay was also planning on being open until next weekend and possibly longer. Several other resorts were planning on being open until May 1 and didn't make it. Warm weather, sun, and some rain over the past week sure did take a toll on snowpack.

Spring Fling today still had fine cover...no dirt dodging at all. Stein's I didn't ski today, but from what I was able to see of how much snow was lost overnight (it rained pretty hard for a bit last night), I'm sure it did have some dirt dodging in a couple sections, although a good portion of the trail was still nearly edge to edge yesterday. I'll take what we had the past 2 weekends over not skiing at all. Myself and others that were out there had a great time and are all glad they didn't take your earlier advice that they should "hang it up" a couple weeks ago. I know you've said previously your intention isn't to be negative and rain on our parade in the northeast, but you continue to do a good job of coming off that way.

dlague

They did have a lot of snow not too long ago. Not too long ago Jay was also planning on being open until next weekend and possibly longer. Several other resorts were planning on being open until May 1 and didn't make it. Warm weather, sun, and some rain over the past week sure did take a toll on snowpack.

Spring Fling today still had fine cover...no dirt dodging at all. Stein's I didn't ski today, but from what I was able to see of how much snow was lost overnight (it rained pretty hard for a bit last night), I'm sure it did have some dirt dodging in a couple sections, although a good portion of the trail was still nearly edge to edge yesterday. I'll take what we had the past 2 weekends over not skiing at all. Myself and others that were out there had a great time and are all glad they didn't take your earlier advice that they should "hang it up" a couple weeks ago. I know you've said previously your intention isn't to be negative and rain on our parade in the northeast, but you continue to do a good job of coming off that way.

no negative intentions, more disbelief. Seems like the past two weeks, were tough. I have skied Steins on May 1st as a free day few years back and it was amazing. Hey they made to May which is good for them.

cdskier

Finally got around to getting my pictures from the weekend. Here are a few from Saturday.

Here's Snowball:
DSC_0773.jpg

Steins:
DSC_0778.jpg
DSC_0856.jpg

Spring Fling:
DSC_0821.jpg

Riding the VH Chair with Stein's in the background:
DSC_0833.jpg

cdskier

And here are a few from Sunday.

Spring Fling: