• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

IceEidolon

Not all stick guns, just Low E internal mixing guns. They are designed to use less compressed air but require higher pressure water. Anything less than 200 psi don't bother with the HKDs they'll make slush. Its also possible they are on too high of a setting (too high water to air ratio) for the current wet bulb.

What stick gun that's low pressure tolerant are you thinking of? The only thing that comes to mind are tower mounted big air. External mix HKD has the exact same low pressure trouble internal mix does.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Newpylong

SR7s, K Guns, Omichrons, etc. of which any will run with a trickle of water. The most recent staple would be a baby Rat. Often used at the summit if low pressure prohibits a Low E gun (or fan if equipped) from being used.

IceEidolon

SR7s, K Guns, Omichrons, etc. of which any will run with a trickle of water. The most recent staple would be a baby Rat. Often used at the summit if low pressure prohibits a Low E gun (or fan if equipped) from being used.
I'd call all those big air, not stick guns. Not one of those burn less than ~300 CFM in marginal.

Newpylong

We call stick guns any air/water gun. There's stick and there's fan, and many obvious sub-classes, low e, mid e, big air, etc. Semantics.

Last edited:

IceEidolon

Yeah, every mountain has different names for their kit. I've never seen air hogs and HKDs grouped under the same name though so I was just a little confused. For us stick is a low E tower, polegun any big air on a permanent mount, land gun/sled gun a portable air hog, trailer/portable a fan gun on the ground, fan or tower fan for fixed mount fans.

Hawk

The Gun Tech conversation is killing me. LOL. Way too much information. All I'll say is that I skied Bretton Woods on Friday and Sunday River on Saturday and it was totally awesome. SR more so than BW but hey, they open Friday. Sunday River never disappoints. They had really dry snow coming out of the guns. Some much so that it wasn't sticking to your jacket or goggles. Now that is what I call snow making. Soft powdery turns all day.

Now the real question is, what will the skiing be like next weekend at the Bush? I am betting that it will be fairly hard and frozen by then. I will be there either way no matter what.

IceEidolon

We're just being pedantic - water goes uphill, snow comes out. Everything else is details.

Treeskier

Look for Sugarbush to open to passholder on Thursday and all the rest on Friday

Look for Sugarbush to open to passholder on Thursday afternoon and all the rest on Friday.....

cdskier

Look for Sugarbush to open to passholder on Thursday afternoon and all the rest on Friday.....

That would be unusual from my memory of recent history wouldn't it? Even Friday would be earlier than their currently scheduled opening date.

Either way, doesn't help me as I'm not taking 2 more days off work just to ski opening day. I'm content to wait until I can make it up in December. If true though, that would be a nice bonus for people that can take advantage of it.

nhskier1969

Since SKIMRV site is down for awhile, haven't heard much from SB for upcoming opening weekend. What trails are the talking on opening? I saw Snowball/Spring fling in the mix this year plus normal open trails Ograngrinder, deathspout etc.. Sound great. Are they still making snow? Saw on Heavens Gate cam they were making snow this morning but then shut off. Seems like the are well ahead of schedule compared to past several seasons, but are they going to keep pushing ahead of schedule? i.e. Domino chute, lower organgrinder, lower jester or hate to saw easy rider so they can show off the shiny new lift for Thanksgiving. Just looking for some chat on the hill

djd66

Since SKIMRV site is down for awhile, haven't heard much from SB for upcoming opening weekend. What trails are the talking on opening? I saw Snowball/Spring fling in the mix this year plus normal open trails Ograngrinder, deathspout etc.. Sound great. Are they still making snow? Saw on Heavens Gate cam they were making snow this morning but then shut off. Seems like the are well ahead of schedule compared to past several seasons, but are they going to keep pushing ahead of schedule? i.e. Domino chute, lower organgrinder, lower jester or hate to saw easy rider so they can show off the shiny new lift for Thanksgiving. Just looking for some chat on the hill

What the hell is up with the SKIMRV site? How difficult can it be to fix it? I have to believe who ever owns the domain gets some ad revenue. Just fix the fricken thing.

cdskier

What the hell is up with the SKIMRV site? How difficult can it be to fix it? I have to believe who ever owns the domain gets some ad revenue. Just fix the fricken thing.

Nick owns it (same person that owns this site). Problem is he doesn't even realize it is broken. A couple months ago when he poked his head in here he saw the comments about skimrv being down and his response was that he knew we had an issue in the past with it that was fixed and that he checked and saw it was "up" so thought everything was fine. Apparently he never actually tried to open any threads though otherwise he would have seen the same issue everyone else sees.

Hawk

I have had several email exchanges with Nick. I even sent him a screen capture of the Database Error and described what was happening. He said that he did not know what was causing this and it was above his pay grade. I thought he was going to do some research and fix this but it seems is never happened. Maybe someone should ping him again to see what is up.

tumbler

I think that they are still blowing up top as the temps have been good but do not know that for sure. They need to go to the bottom from HG first, then Lower OG, Middle Jester and perhaps Murphy's and/or Birdland before going to gatehouse side. If temps up top then Ripcord. To satisfy beginners short term, First Time. I hope they run VH and Bravo but I doubt they will. The travese gets old quick.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I last worked Sunday night and we were making snow on parts of Jester, along with Downspout, Valley House Traverse, and Allyn's Traverse. If all goes well, on opening day, we will have Downspout, Jester->Allyn's, and VHT, accessible off Super Bravo, and SB->Fling off Valley house. That would be 3 lifts open. This would eliminate downloading, but you would have to skate across the traverse. It should also help to take pressure off Downspout. SB->Fling is a much better run, IMO. Of course, I don't know the exact plan for opening day, or even if its been changed. So stay tuned to the web site or FB page for more.

Where will we go next? I'm not sure, but usually (in years past)... if we got temps down low, we could go over to get beginner terrain (First Time, Easy Rider/Pushover) and connect base area to Gate House, or if only temps up high, we can go to Ripcord or finish OG (if we don't have it finished yet - the bottom section needs work). Pushover should go really nice this year since we took the towers off Downspout and put them there, replacing the older ones.

cdskier

In the latest snow report they are hinting at a potential early opening...

"Our projected Opening Day is still Saturday, November 18th, but eager skiers and riders should pay close attention for a potential earlier soft opening."

Nothing new in the report from a snowmaking front other than what Shady said they already made snow on.

It is a shame Nick doesn't have time to get SkiMRV working again.

tumbler

For Hawk from the snow report: HAHAHA

The snowmakers have already laid down great base-building snow on Jester, Organgrinder, Downspout, Snowball and Spring Fling at Lincoln Peak and Rim Run, Elbow, Looking Good and Inverness at Mt. Ellen. The piles outside the Valley House lodge in the base area are already 10 feet deep in spots.

tumbler

I last worked Sunday night and we were making snow on parts of Jester, along with Downspout, Valley House Traverse, and Allyn's Traverse. If all goes well, on opening day, we will have Downspout, Jester->Allyn's, and VHT, accessible off Super Bravo, and SB->Fling off Valley house. That would be 3 lifts open. This would eliminate downloading, but you would have to skate across the traverse. It should also help to take pressure off Downspout. SB->Fling is a much better run, IMO. Of course, I don't know the exact plan for opening day, or even if its been changed. So stay tuned to the web site or FB page for more.

Where will we go next? I'm not sure, but usually (in years past)... if we got temps down low, we could go over to get beginner terrain (First Time, Easy Rider/Pushover) and connect base area to Gate House, or if only temps up high, we can go to Ripcord or finish OG (if we don't have it finished yet - the bottom section needs work). Pushover should go really nice this year since we took the towers off Downspout and put them there, replacing the older ones.

Thanks for the update and keep up the good work. I would think going to the bottom from HG is a prioity since all the Bravo trails end up on LJ, LDS. Could use germ chute but thats a lot of traffic. Beginners not really looking to ski quite yet...