• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

As a sidenote, on Christmas afternoon, we finished skiing and were hanging out in CR Pub for some Apres Ski. Six adults and 9 kids. Around 5pm the kids collectively told us that they didn't want Chinese food for dinner. In a panic, we turned to the bartender (big guy with a big white beard...I'm drawing a blank on his name) who got on the phone and procured us a reservation for 15 people at the Hydeaway for 6:30pm. Couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

cdskier

In a panic, we turned to the bartender (big guy with a big white beard...I'm drawing a blank on his name) who got on the phone and procured us a reservation for 15 people at the Hydeaway for 6:30pm. Couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

Shawn

HowieT2

got 6 days in over the holiday. great conditions. woods were great. best base I can remember in december. chilly. got a bit of frostbite on my face but like they say, no pain no gain.

luv the new walts at mt ellen. upper and lower fis were shockingly good.

Hawk

It was either last year or the year before that the had over 3 feet of snow in the woods in December before we had the warm up. That was some of the best skiing in years. I don't know what woods you were skiing but where we were skiing, it was very challenging and not the best.

cdskier

It was either last year or the year before that the had over 3 feet of snow in the woods in December before we had the warm up. That was some of the best skiing in years. I don't know what woods you were skiing but where we were skiing, it was very challenging and not the best.

Pretty sure that was last year where we had something like 100"+ in December (especially at upper elevations)...

WWF-VT

I keep a ski log and last year at the end of December the YTD snowfall total was 154". This year it's 50". The base is not as deep this year but it's definitely firm after the quick warm up just before Xmas. FWIW I skipped FIS at Mt Ellen and my son said it was not very good.

slatham

WOW! I heard Stowe reported a surprise 12'' last night, so I took a look at Sugarbush - notta!? I've noticed a number of times this year where Stowe has received significantly more snow, but 12" vs. zero is very strange.

So then I looked at YTD: Stowe reports 111" vs. 51" at Sugarbush. This is shocking. I know there is a difference and on average Stowe picks up more snow, and each storm is its own entity, but 111 vs 51 over a 2 month period is very unusual.

I'm a bit a weather nut and I wish I had watched this more carefully this season (more focused on SoVT). But my guess is that this is very influenced by Lake plumes that are targeting areas just to the North of Sugarbush. As we all know, a lake band will dump in one area and 5 miles on either side, nothing. And of course weather patterns do show persistent.

Appreciate any insight from those who have been paying more attention to this.

EDIT : I just checked my "home" mountain of Bromley - they are notorious for under reporting, and they didn't start counting until Thanksgiving, and yet they have 44" YTD. Sugarbush is in some twilight zone snow hole. Of course that will probably change....

Last edited:

cdskier

WOW! I heard Stowe reported a surprise 12'' last night, so I took a look at Sugarbush - notta!? I've noticed a number of times this year where Stowe has received significantly more snow, but 12" vs. zero is very strange.

So then I looked at YTD: Stowe reports 111" vs. 51" at Sugarbush. This is shocking. I know there is a difference and on average Stowe picks up more snow, and each storm is its own entity, but 111 vs 51 over a 2 month period is very unusual.

I'm a bit a weather nut and I wish I had watched this more carefully this season (more focused on SoVT). But my guess is that this is very influenced by Lake plumes that are targeting areas just to the North of Sugarbush. As we all know, a lake band will dump in one area and 5 miles on either side, nothing. And of course weather patterns do show persistent.

Appreciate any insight from those who have been paying more attention to this.

EDIT : I just checked my "home" mountain of Bromley - they are notorious for under reporting, and they didn't start counting until Thanksgiving, and yet they have 44" YTD. Sugarbush is in some twilight zone snow hole. Of course that will probably change....

Sugarbush reported 1" overnight, but close enough to 0. And yes, Sugarbush has not been seeing nearly as much snow as points north this season. And I just looked at K and even they have a higher total (62 at the moment there). So there have been some storms that delivered a bit more to the south, and others that delivered a bit more to the north. SB is missing on both ends. Stowe has also had some good accumulations several other times this season when SB received not much from lake and/or terrain induced snow. For example on 11/27 Stowe had 6-8 and SB had 1 (first example I saw looking quickly through my snow report e-mails...but I know it happened a bunch of times).

I also think SB is under-reporting slightly this year and I'm going to blame their new raised snow stake platforms. There were several days in December when I was there that what you felt on the trail seemed more than what they reported. I think with the platforms being raised, snow is blowing off them a bit. They may not be losing a lot this way, but even just an inch or two here and there can add up over time. Even MRG is reporting higher totals this season so far compared to SB.

Hawk

I have been watching Stowe and the Northern areas this season. It's not just lake enhanced it's pretty much all of the snow events that have come through. They are just setting up better and getting more snow longer. Also their elevation enhanced situations have been off the charts. If you follow Scott Braten who does their reports and also is on several Message boards, you get the picture pretty quickly. He is in my opinion one of the best at predicting and documenting snow. Also this guy who goes by the handle Jspin in Waterbury. I have been following them for years. They are very dedicated and very good.

cdskier

I also think SB is under-reporting slightly this year and I'm going to blame their new raised snow stake platforms. There were several days in December when I was there that what you felt on the trail seemed more than what they reported. I think with the platforms being raised, snow is blowing off them a bit. They may not be losing a lot this way, but even just an inch or two here and there can add up over time.

I just looked at the time-lapse of the summit snow stake from today. Almost nothing has accumulated on the stake itself, yet you can see a decent amount of snow accumulating on the ground nearby. Sure some of that could be blowing/drifting a bit...but there's still decent snow falling from what I can see. It just isn't staying on the platform.

ducky

Three runs at Castlerock today via GH, -4˚ but not too windy and I was actually too warm. Tons of snow down Rumble and Lift Line but also some exposed rocks as usual. Got stuck in the woods with too many hidden branches even if there is good depth. There haven't been enough freeze-thaws so deep snow but not compacted into a base yet. Tomorrow may be different conditions with more wind. A patrol friend did Twist and Moonshine at 2:30 and got first tracks with the late Bravo opening.

Orca

Looking at the webcams this morning and it's pretty sparse out there. Not surprised with temps running from -10F to -20F with what looks like more than a bit of wind. I'm happy to be sitting inside, the sun from a window painting my right side while enjoying the last of the eggnog. :)

WWF-VT

I can't believe that Sugarbush is running the Blazer programs in sub zero temperatures this weekend. Basically an invitation for frostbite for kids.

benski

I can't believe that Sugarbush is running the Blazer programs in sub zero temperatures this weekend. Basically an invitation for frostbite for kids.

Surprised, though I was in that program, the older kids will be fine, they will be no worse than anyone else. I hope they met up and drop off inside somewhere.

Hawk

I saw those guys yesterday running the kids up and down the mall in the afternoon. Every kid I saw looked happy and peppy. It was cold out but the wind on Valley house was not bad at all and if you skied with purpose you were fine. I did about 10 runs and didn't loose my feet or hands. That is a win in my book.

tumbler

What a ghost town this weekend. Glad we decided to go. Saturday was 2 runs then inside to warm up. Wind was not as bad as forecasted, just a bit gusty sometimes. Sunday was much more bearable but still needed some warm up breaks. Conditions were great, esp. Castlerock. Feel bad, that must have been a big hit on the income. As quiet as last weekend was, I'm sure this coming MLK one will be a zoo. Hoping the thaw ends with backside snow...