• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

mikec142

My wife and I were in VT for a quick trip this past weekend to visit family. Spent Saturday bumming around the MRV. Visited Warren Falls which I had never seen. I thought it was pretty spectacular. Then on to the Warren Store to buy some Sip of Sunshine. Then to Lincoln Peak. I mentioned this elsewhere, but we've been to Sugarbush so many times in the winter, but never in the Summer. We bought lift tickets and rode Super Bravo up to Allyn's Lodge. Riding a lift without skis, in the summer, is an experience on it's own. We then hiked up Jester to get to the top of Heaven's Gate for some pretty spectacular views. I'd say the hike took about 40 minutes and was definitely worth the effort. Walked back down and took Super Bravo back down. Woulda walked the whole way but we were on a schedule. Quick stop for a snack and some beers at Prohibition Pig before heading back to Burlington. Great day.

cdskier

Cool that you made it to Warren Falls. It really is quite impressive.

I was up in the MRV this past weekend too. It sure is quite beautiful in the summer as well like you said. My original goal was to hike up to the summit of Mt Ellen via the Jerusalem trail to the Long Trail (comes up from the western side). I had to change plans though as my friend had to work that night and we didn't think there wouldn't be enough time by the time we hit the Long Trail so we hiked south to the MRG summit as it is a bit shorter than going north to ME from that point. I'll have to try to hike to ME in the fall when I go back up there. I really want to get to the summit of ME this year via hiking. Maybe I'll do the Long Trail from the App gap to ME.

slatham

Any updates on the progress on the Village and/or Sun D chair install?

VT in the summer is very sweet.

WWF-VT

Cool that you made it to Warren Falls. It really is quite impressive.

I was up in the MRV this past weekend too. It sure is quite beautiful in the summer as well like you said. My original goal was to hike up to the summit of Mt Ellen via the Jerusalem trail to the Long Trail (comes up from the western side). I had to change plans though as my friend had to work that night and we didn't think there wouldn't be enough time by the time we hit the Long Trail so we hiked south to the MRG summit as it is a bit shorter than going north to ME from that point. I'll have to try to hike to ME in the fall when I go back up there. I really want to get to the summit of ME this year via hiking. Maybe I'll do the Long Trail from the App gap to ME.

I have hiked Mt Ellen a few times including a day when I went up Lower FIS to Rim Run to the summit. I have also done the App Gap to Mt Ellen and posted a report here

mikec142

I wasn't really paying attention. Sorry. I did see some new bull wheels for one of the lifts in the parking lot.

mikec142

Just read your report on the App Gap to Mt. Ellen hike. Sounds awesome. I was with my wife, who appreciates the beauty of it all (and was very proud to have done the hike) but I'm not sure she's game for something more strenuous. I guess my question about these ridgeline hikes on the Long Trail is how well are they marked for people like me who are not accomplished hikers. To put it simply, a trained monkey could have taken Super Bravo up and then followed the gravelly path that is Jester to the top of Heaven's Gate. I'd like to give myself a bit more credit than the monkey, but I don't want to get too crazy. :)

WWF-VT

The Long Trail is well marked with white blazes and it's a well worn path. There are a few tricky parts to follow when you cross over some of the ski trails at Sugarbush and MRG. If you are taking the Long Trail from the south to the north for example you need to know that the LT takes a quick turn at the summit of Mt Ellen and don't go down Rim Run thinking you'll hit the LT.

cdskier

I have hiked Mt Ellen a few times including a day when I went up Lower FIS to Rim Run to the summit. I have also done the App Gap to Mt Ellen and posted a report here

Cool.

I didn't really pay much attention either. There were some new parts for the Village chair in the parking lot next to Gadd Brook. That's as close as I got to either of the new chairs though.

I guess my question about these ridgeline hikes on the Long Trail is how well are they marked for people like me who are not accomplished hikers. To put it simply, a trained monkey could have taken Super Bravo up and then followed the gravelly path that is Jester to the top of Heaven's Gate. I'd like to give myself a bit more credit than the monkey, but I don't want to get too crazy. :)

I'm by no means an accomplished hiker, yet I have found all the sections of the Long Trail that I've done in the MRV area to be pretty well marked (and for the most part the trail itself is pretty obvious even without seeing the white blazed markings).

Hawk

I was up last weekend also. At Lincoln peak, I was told that they are in the process of pouring concrete bases and will be installing towers soon. Materials are arriving as stated above like the bull wheels. I have no idea what is going on at North but assume it is similar because they bought both lifts as a package.

Plowboy

Sunny D: Concrete is poured, towers and bullwheels showed up Tues.

Village: Not sure, but have to go over that way today, I'll update.

WWF-VT

Hiked around Mt Ellen this weekend. Bullwheel is on the top tower of the "Sunny Q" , all the tower and related components are staged in the parking lot - still a lot of work to be done. Interesting in that it looks like they have cleared a potential trail from Crackerjack over to the top of the new lift. It used to just be an unmarked narrow cut through but now it's wide and cleared. My guess is that it's being used to get equipment and material to and from the top of the lift area.

jimmck

Village Double replacement progress, taken this morning.

63d7081fc008ab25a8c99c6c14a86769.jpg

eca29cd87ae31dbc7000fd2cd10118d4.jpg

0699a048ae7c6386a70091ef7819acd4.jpg

Additionally, work for the RFID system is visible. Excavation at the base of the lifts at Lincoln Peak for the install of pre-cast footings/conduit has begun.

64c3530384e63085f459309f9574662b.jpg

slatham

Thanks for the update. Curious about the retaining wall - is that down hill of the bottom terminal? Does it have to do with "Out to Lunch" or other condo access trails?

Also interesting that they are using a pre-case tower bases. Always thought those were 100% done on site. I presume that the precast base will be built into a much larger concrete base poured on mountain.

jimmck

I believe the bottom station will be uphill on the new retaining wall, this is only my guess, as I don't see evidence of footings/foundations for the base station downhill of the new wall. It does look that the excavation for the base is evidenced in the 3rd picture which is uphill of the wall.

Also, I don't believe the pre-cast concrete is for a tower. I think it's for the RFID gates. They are being set below grade today on the other lifts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

tumbler

The bottom terminal for the Village is above the retaining wall, they moved it uphill so it is easier for beginners to get to and load. Can't wait for RFID!

slatham

Thanks all.

Makes sense the pre-cast bases are not for towers, though that's pretty sturdy for the RFID gates.

I also now recall the master plan with Village lift moved uphill and a building downhill of the retaining wall on the plan. That building is a key piece to linking the SB base with the original SB Village.

All good. Now lets get a good winter!