• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Interesting to see an additional trail from Lower FIS that cuts over to the top of the Sunshine Double. Hard to read the numbers, but I think it was called Way Back. Wonder why they got rid of it.

I think the one you're looking at on the map is "The Alley" and the way I'm reading the map it looks like it is the same traverse today that drops you off at the top of Snowflake at the top of the T-Bar.

flakeydog

Also notable back then- at North, Cliffs is a blue, Rim Run a green. We also see "Low Road" which used to be a shortcut down to the inverness lift but now that would put you right into a maintenance building near the GMVS Club bldg. At South on the old north link poma, what is now Sunrise (listed as "this way/that way", could never keep those straight) is also a blue.

And also note the lack of snowmaking over at south. Basically only on Spring Fling and Gate House. Unless there was good snow, we did a most of our skiing over at North.

rocks860

Will sugarbush be worth skiing this weekend? I have 2 paid for tickets left for this year and I'm not sure when I'll have another chance to get up there again. It looks like they got some base building from this storm but it also looks like more rain on saturday

cdskier

See what the snow reports for both SB and MRG say in the morning to see what the spin on this event ends up being. MRG is usually pretty honest about what happened with the weather. And with their dependence on natural snow for almost all their terrain, what they still have open tomorrow will be very telling about the true impact of the recent weather. As for the upcoming weather, I'd wait to see the next blog post from Josh Fox to see what his take is.

Whitey

I'm here now. Sprung for a on mtn condo for MA school vacation week. Ugghh, not sure you want to hear what I've got to say. Whoever said "they got some base building out of this storm" is on Tuna level delusions. Yesterday was a disaster for the conditions. Rained hard last night. Stayed at 45 degrees until this AM. There are areas around the condo that I skied over just yesterday afternoon that are now brown, muddy grass. It didn't look like they ran the groomers last night. I would guess because the snow was so soft and wet if they did the sno cats would just sink thru it. Yesterday was OK if you could get around the fact that you were soaked. They got about 2-4" on the mtn before it changed to ice/rain. But the amount of rain that fell yesterday and last night caused rivers to run thru the parking lots.

We are going to ski today because we are here and we already have tickets, but not really for any other reasons. I'll probably end up lapping the terrain park with the kids at ME because not much else will interest the kids/be worth skiing. 50 yrs old and spending my ski vacation lapping a terrain park. That's depressing.

Last year when we were here at this exact same time of yr we were skiing Slide Brook and all of the glades/woods. I hate this winter.

I may be adding this trip to my thread about the worst weather/conditions you've ever experienced on a ski trip.

Edd

The "Sugarbush Thread"

The Upper Wildcat trail at Wildcat is open this morning, which is a good sign. Sunday River is claiming that they don't anticipate losing any terrain. Both are acknowledging some strong rain while claiming that the initial snowfall absorbed it. Here's hoping that isn't BS.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't realize I was crashing the Sugarbush thread. Thought it was a weather thread for some reason.

Last edited:

VTKilarney

No base building at Burke. They lost the couple natural snow trails that had just opened back up. Back down to 15 man-made trails.

rocks860

I'm here now. Sprung for a on mtn condo for MA school vacation week. Ugghh, not sure you want to hear what I've got to say. Whoever said "they got some base building out of this storm" is on Tuna level delusions. Yesterday was a disaster for the conditions. Rained hard last night. Stayed at 45 degrees until this AM. There are areas around the condo that I skied over just yesterday afternoon that are now brown, muddy grass. It didn't look like they ran the groomers last night. I would guess because the snow was so soft and wet if they did the sno cats would just sink thru it. Yesterday was OK if you could get around the fact that you were soaked. They got about 2-4" on the mtn before it changed to ice/rain. But the amount of rain that fell yesterday and last night caused rivers to run thru the parking lots.

We are going to ski today because we are here and we already have tickets, but not really for any other reasons. I'll probably end up lapping the terrain park with the kids at ME because not much else will interest the kids/be worth skiing. 50 yrs old and spending my ski vacation lapping a terrain park. That's depressing.

Last year when we were here at this exact same time of yr we were skiing Slide Brook and all of the glades/woods. I hate this winter.

I may be adding this trip to my thread about the worst weather/conditions you've ever experienced on a ski trip.

That suuuuuucks. Let me know how it is today

cdskier

That suuuuuucks. Let me know how it is today

MRG closed most of the mountain today to let it drain. SB on their report is still claiming a "net gain at higher elevations". Not sure how realistic that is given the first hand report from Whitey so far...

That said...what you can see from the webcams right now for SB is better than how things looked after the last rain storm. The Castlerock lift loading area is still white. They also haven't closed any natural trails even lower on the mountain (at least yet).

rocks860

Yeah i saw that everything was still open and I did not that the webcam for castlerock looks muuuuuch better than the last time

cdskier

And now the trail counts have started dropping...don't know whether the trails are too icy to be skiable or whether they are too thin after the rain. I'm inclined to think icy at the moment...

rocks860

It looks like what's closed is castlerock, paradise/ripcord and the blacks at the summit of mount ellen

Whitey

Yeah i saw that everything was still open and I did not that the webcam for castlerock looks muuuuuch better than the last time

At this point even tuna thinks you are losing it. We're done, pulling the plug on the ski trip & heading home. We still have a day left on our lift tix & condo. Doesn't matter. It's ugly. An icy mess with washed out spots. If want to look at webcams and think it's "OK", then don't look at these (they are from today):

This is Castle Rock:
CR.jpg

Top of north lynx chair:
N lynx.jpg

Sunrise:
sunset.jpg

rocks860

At this point even tuna thinks you are losing it. We're done, pulling the plug on the ski trip & heading home. We still have a day left on our lift tix & condo. Doesn't matter. It's ugly. An icy mess with washed out spots. If want to look at webcams and think it's "OK", then don't look at these (they are from today):

This is Castle Rock:
View attachment 19048

Top of north lynx chair:
View attachment 19049

Sunrise:
View attachment 19050

All I said was what it looked like from what I could say, take it easy

MadMadWorld

People are angry because they spent a lot of money on houses and condos (myself included). My family and I made the best of it at Magic and my 3 yr old made some amazing strides while making new friends. Folks need to look on the brightside and enjoy their vacations!

Attachments

• 1455745541953.jpg
    1455745541953.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 125

rocks860

I can understand being upset about wasting money but I was just making observations about what I could see, hence why I asked him to report back on the actual conditions

rocks860

That being said I may still go up as I have a ticket that expires and no other forseeable time I could go in the next month. Also have 3 magic tickets that I got before the season that don't look like they're going to get used