• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

slatham

Daily Snow Report

Tuesday, November 14th, 2017 - 12:15 AM

BREAKING NEWS: Due to a sweet stretch of cold temperatures and our spectacular snowmaking team, we have rescheduled Opening Day 2017 - 2018 for this Friday. Current season passholders can join us even sooner on Thursday afternoon from 12pm to 4pm for first tracks.
We plan to spin Valley House Quad for advanced skiing and riding on Snowball and Spring Fling. Sugarbush Parks plans to unveil their first set of the season on Friday.
The snowmakers have already laid down great base-building snow on Jester, Organgrinder, Downspout, Snowball and Spring Fling at Lincoln Peak , plus Rim Run, Elbow, Looking Good and Inverness at Mt. Ellen, which opens Dec 16th. The piles outside the Valley House lodge in the base area are already 10 feet deep in spots.

Early open but only Snowball/Spring Fling. I would assume the other terrain opens on Saturday?

flakeydog

Kudos to the OPs teams to get Snowball/Spring Fling open and run Valley House. I would rather ski that than Jester/Downspout all day. Also was nice to see them take full advantage of the cold weather and blow snow down low in earnest. Seems like in recent years all we get are the temps to blow the upper mountain (and marginal at that!) and the lower mountain suffers. I assume the upper mountain will open over the weekend but it does not worry me because upper mountain has the opportunity for snowmaking on those marginal days where lower mountain does not. Also, this configuration puts more snow on Spring Fling for late season as well. We all love Steins in May but it is nice to be able to blast a run down Spring Fling late season as well.

cdskier

Also, this configuration puts more snow on Spring Fling for late season as well. We all love Steins in May but it is nice to be able to blast a run down Spring Fling late season as well.

I'm not quite so sure this plan impacts the spring much if at all. Whether they blow Snowball/Spring Fling now or later they'll probably still put a certain amount of snow on it that they think will be sufficient to get them through the spring. Plus last year Spring Fling had better coverage on May 1 than Steins anyway :razz:

I do like the early season aggressiveness of blowing snow down low when they had the temps. Very cool that they're able to get the SB/SF route open for the first day.

Hawk

For Hawk from the snow report: HAHAHA

The snowmakers have already laid down great base-building snow on Jester, Organgrinder, Downspout, Snowball and Spring Fling at Lincoln Peak and Rim Run, Elbow, Looking Good and Inverness at Mt. Ellen. The piles outside the Valley House lodge in the base area are already 10 feet deep in spots.

That's actually really funny that you thought of me. LOL I appreciate it. Win not so much.

Hawk

I would rather ski that than Jester/Downspout all day.

I would rather ski Organgrinder/Downspout rather than Snowball / Spring Fling. Which is also better than Jester / Downspout. It is steeper and has a better chance at having softer snow because of the elevation.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
In other news, the new 17/18 trail map is now linked on the web site, though it's a low-res shot. Some changes to note: trails that have been renamed for someone are now shown on the map. "Joe's Cruiser" and "Sigi's Ripcord" previously had only appeared on the actual trail signs themselves, now they're labelled as such on the map. Also new on the map is the unnamed connector from Crackerjack to the top of Sunny D, now reconfigured and I believe renamed "Five Star Alley" (or something like that). And, once again, the name "Black Diamond Rush" is on the map.

cdskier

In other news, the new 17/18 trail map is now linked on the web site, though it's a low-res shot. Some changes to note: trails that have been renamed for someone are now shown on the map. "Joe's Cruiser" and "Sigi's Ripcord" previously had only appeared on the actual trail signs themselves, now they're labelled as such on the map. Also new on the map is the unnamed connector from Crackerjack to the top of Sunny D, now reconfigured and I believe renamed "Five Star Alley" (or something like that). And, once again, the name "Black Diamond Rush" is on the map.

Cool...although why does Lower Birdland still show the snowmaking symbol next to it? :)

Hawk

HAHAHA!!! Did you do that gun run yet with Win?
Nope. There is really no use in talking to someone who does not really understand what good snowmaking is and the benefits of providing such product. I have 3 days in already and on Saturday and Sunday the snowmaking I skied in was so superior. Light dry and easily pushed around. No big mounds of drying snow. No mucky wet goop stuck to my jacket and goggles. This is why I preach the good news brothers and sisters. I realize that Shady and the boys work hard and to their best with what they have and it is really no reflection on their efforts.

machski

Nope. There is really no use in talking to someone who does not really understand what good snowmaking is and the benefits of providing such product. I have 3 days in already and on Saturday and Sunday the snowmaking I skied in was so superior. Light dry and easily pushed around. No big mounds of drying snow. No mucky wet goop stuck to my jacket and goggles. This is why I preach the good news brothers and sisters. I realize that Shady and the boys work hard and to their best with what they have and it is really no reflection on their efforts.
Hawk claims all this dry snow last weekend at Sunday River. Not sure he actually skied. I was plastered every run unless I found the line the wind was allowing to be out of the drop zone from the guns. In my opinion, the snow last weekend was rather wet at SR. It skied good, but they can certainly make drier snow, even out of the SV10's.

On another note, nice of SB mgmt to give passholders the early open on Thursday. Unfortunately they waited for the r@#n to return for that [emoji34]

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Cool...although why does Lower Birdland still show the snowmaking symbol next to it? :)

And Exterminator too. And why does the color of the flat-outs change every year.

I still liked the old trail map which had Mt Ellen at a slightly different angle, thus showing the passage of Northway and Northstar through the mid mountain area properly. Of course with that orientation, you couldn't show LP and ME on the same side without interruption.

cdskier

And Exterminator too. And why does the color of the flat-outs change every year.

At least Exterminator has hydrants on it to give the illusion of possibly having snowmaking (whether they are connected and functional is another story).

Hawk

Hawk claims all this dry snow last weekend at Sunday River. Not sure he actually skied. I was plastered every run unless I found the line the wind was allowing to be out of the drop zone from the guns. In my opinion, the snow last weekend was rather wet at SR. It skied good, but they can certainly make drier snow, even out of the SV10's.QUOTE]
Mach, I skied both days and never got anything on me. What did you ski right in front of the guns? LOL you must have been one of those people. Ha Ha. We skied on the right side of T2 and punch both days and never got anything on us. Your post is totally fake news.

Newpylong

At least Exterminator has hydrants on it to give the illusion of possibly having snowmaking (whether they are connected and functional is another story).

They are connected and functional, but after a few bad snow maker slides a number of years back they haven't used them since. Odd considering there are other runs with worse pitch.

slatham

Hawk claims all this dry snow last weekend at Sunday River. Not sure he actually skied. I was plastered every run unless I found the line the wind was allowing to be out of the drop zone from the guns. In my opinion, the snow last weekend was rather wet at SR. It skied good, but they can certainly make drier snow, even out of the SV10's.

On another note, nice of SB mgmt to give passholders the early open on Thursday. Unfortunately they waited for the r@#n to return for that [emoji34]

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Its going to be a close call on rain vs. snow tomorrow. I would expect mostly snow up top, but if I recall they're only running VH, where the odds of it changing are higher, because it is lower in elevation. Maybe they'll luck out - hope so.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Glad to see that they are opening tomorrow. Odd choice selection though. Different from years past. Anyone know why?

tumbler

Glad to see that they are opening tomorrow. Odd choice selection though. Different from years past. Anyone know why?

Because there was record cold and they decided to make snow on that and then move back up high. They have been running Jester, OG and DS so it wouldnt surprise me if at least Jester/DS opened for the weekend. An interesting change, we'll see how it works out.