• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Great day today... my best run on Murphy's and Lower Birdland in years! Same for Domino. Mountain is skiing great right now. Just watch those waterbars, especially those coming out of Lower Jester back onto Lower Downspout at the Castlerock cutoff.

sugarbushskier9

Today was schaweeet! Seemed like 2-3" filled in the cracks above the bottom of Heavens Gate and refreshed everything. So much terrain open too. Can't believe they were downloading just 4 days ago. Love all the stuff on natural snow before the snowmaking gets to it. I get why snowmaking is necessary but its so nice to ski stuff without a hardpack icy layer underneath. Its nice even in areas that get scraped down its grass instead of ice. I'd rather make a turn on some snow/grass mixture than that bulletproof glaze ice that often develops later in the season in skied off areas.

dlague

Today was schaweeet! Seemed like 2-3" filled in the cracks above the bottom of Heavens Gate and refreshed everything. So much terrain open too. Can't believe they were downloading just 4 days ago. Love all the stuff on natural snow before the snowmaking gets to it. I get why snowmaking is necessary but its so nice to ski stuff without a hardpack icy layer underneath. Its nice even in areas that get scraped down its grass instead of ice. I'd rather make a turn on some snow/grass mixture than that bulletproof glaze ice that often develops later in the season in skied off areas.
Good point on skiing snow on grass rather than snow on ice.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Nice photos!
Looks like Feb :thumbup:

Thanks!

And I completely agree with what others are saying about skiing some of these trails on natural before they are hit with snowmaking. Such an awesome experience!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

tumbler

Wonder how the pond is doing? River is back to level it was before the last liquid event. Been on Ripcord for a loong time. Looks like trying for snowball/fling. Would think gatehouse soon for beginners. Looking very cold for the weekend.

cdskier

I refer to that as "Sugarbush Open"!! They are definitely the most liberal place have ever seen with opening of tails. I like it!

And yet there's nothing I skied that's open that I would say shouldn't be open! As long as the trails are marked for advanced skiers only at this point, they are all definitely skiable. Love how aggressive patrol is at dropping ropes here!

dlague

And yet there's nothing I skied that's open that I would say shouldn't be open! As long as the trails are marked for advanced skiers only at this point, they are all definitely skiable. Love how aggressive patrol is at dropping ropes here!

Last they were very aggressive, then again they had to be to open terrain. May they felt it work and decided to keep it up!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Duncanator24

Anyone know if the "issues" with the castlerock lift were solved over the summer? They didnt have it running much last season and I love those early morning runs (before the line gets bad) there without having to hike from paradise.

nhskier1969

Anyone know if the "issues" with the castlerock lift were solved over the summer? They didnt have it running much last season and I love those early morning runs (before the line gets bad) there without having to hike from paradise.
It ran for about a week. There weren't issues with the lift. The marginal snow base last year, the terrain couldn't handle the skier traffic if they opened up the chair. The long trail isn't a bad hike and it keeps the traffic down.

Hawk

From my friends reports, There is not enough snow yet and not enough of a demand to support opening the lift. Also there was no mechanical issue that forced its closure or kept it closed.

Tin

From my friends reports, There is not enough snow yet

There was more snow on Liftline and Middle on Tuesday than there has probably been in two years and they have received another foot since. The last time I skied so much snow was Nemo in 2013 or 36" in 36 hours at Stowe. Never heard a noise under my skis and that included all the ledges. There is PLENTY of snow, but yes, keep it closed please.

Last edited: