• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

There has to be resort charge as part of the RFID, it is a huge part of their current system with the traditional passes. Even is the mag strip is still there, it is a swipe system. I really like not carrying cash and credit cards and it is perfect ofr the kids.

Smellytele

There has to be resort charge as part of the RFID, it is a huge part of their current system with the traditional passes. Even is the mag strip is still there, it is a swipe system. I really like not carrying cash and credit cards and it is perfect ofr the kids.
I hate having another place where my financial info can be hacked into. No I don't wear tinfoil hats.

mikec142

The addition of RFID at Sugarbush is a nice upgrade. The ease of use at Stowe is really impressive. As someone said above, the difference was really stark when I skied Stowe and then Sugarbush the next day. Good for them!

Hawk

I asked Guest services. Yes the new RFID Card will have a magnetic strip for the Resort Charge. Good news. I like not having to carry my credit card.

Jully

I hate having another place where my financial info can be hacked into. No I don't wear tinfoil hats.

If the resort's financials are hacked whether or not you have resort charge set up is not going to stop your info from being put at risk. Besides, it is a credit card, it is substantially safer than have a debit or bank account on file.

I agree with you that limiting the number of places your financial info is stored is safer (I will never use Venmo), but not with a place that I already use my credit card.

cdskier

If the resort's financials are hacked whether or not you have resort charge set up is not going to stop your info from being put at risk. Besides, it is a credit card, it is substantially safer than have a debit or bank account on file.

Agreed, but my personal take is that I always have my wallet with me...so why do I need to enable my pass for resort charge? I'm perfectly fine with paying in cash or a regular credit card from my wallet. You also now have me wondering a bit about your credit card safer comment. If a credit card is linked to something else and that other item is used to make the charges, do the standard credit card liability protections still apply? I never really thought about it until now.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I loaded my Peaks gift cards on my pass last season. If you spent $100, they gave you a gift card for $125. The benefit of loading it on the pass is that the dollar amount is stored in their system. If you happened to lose the gift card, you were SOL.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

I have used the resort charge since it was implemented. I have never had and issue. Also I hate to have my wallet with me. Just another thing to deal with in the morning. It's just easier and simple to do. You also automatically get any season pass discounts without having to tell them you are a season pass holder for what that is worth. Like said above, they have your credit card info in the system when you pay for your pass. If it the system gets hacked they have it anyway. What difference does the magnetic strip on your pass make? Unlike a regular credit card, you can only use it at the mountain facilities.

Smellytele

I loaded my Peaks gift cards on my pass last season. If you spent $100, they gave you a gift card for $125. The benefit of loading it on the pass is that the dollar amount is stored in their system. If you happened to lose the gift card, you were SOL.

This I would think of doing.

cdskier

Also I hate to have my wallet with me.

I need mine anyway in case I get carded...which still happens every once in a while. I'd feel naked leaving my house without my wallet.

Too many things in my wallet to take with me while I'm skiing. I always just carry my license, a credit card, my insurance card and of course a bit of cash. Hasn't failed me yet!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I need mine anyway in case I get carded...which still happens every once in a while. I'd feel naked leaving my house without my wallet.
I feel the same way. Though not the carding part. That ship has 99.9% sailed. :(

Wallet, keys and cell phone are pretty much always on me or within close proximity to me.

cdskier

Too many things in my wallet to take with me while I'm skiing. I always just carry my license, a credit card, my insurance card and of course a bit of cash. Hasn't failed me yet!

If I start taking certain things out of my wallet instead of taking the whole wallet with me I would surely lose something somewhere along the way (or even just forget to put it back in my wallet). :grin:

dlague

If I start taking certain things out of my wallet instead of taking the whole wallet with me I would surely lose something somewhere along the way (or even just forget to put it back in my wallet). :grin:

Actually happen to my wife. She takes a card and drivers license out of her wallet/purse and actually left it at the bar with an open tab. However, most places now days just scan it and give you back your card.

Hawk

This is actually one of the reasons I like the resort charge. I hate to carry the bulky wallet. So when I used to take out my license, credit card and cash and carry it with me with a money clip, I would forget to take it back out and leave it in VT for a week until I came back next weekend. What a pain in the a$$. Everybody has a routine. To each their own.

cdskier

This is actually one of the reasons I like the resort charge. I hate to carry the bulky wallet. So when I used to take out my license, credit card and cash and carry it with me with a money clip, I would forget to take it back out and leave it in VT for a week until I came back next weekend. What a pain in the a$$. Everybody has a routine. To each their own.

I could see that and for what it is worth, I'm glad SB is keeping resort charge available for people that want it. Even though I don't personally use it, I wouldn't want it taken away as I never like anything that represents a step backwards.

tumbler

Exactly!!