The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 361

AlpineZone

Page 361 of 436 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 4351
    Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    The wet snow is not going to freeze in a matter of minutes and anything that falls will bond to it and prevent it from becoming a solid ice cube. Sleet actually works very well for this and if it turns to snow then even better. It's the weather, the models and weather people don't know how it is going to actually happen. I'm going either way and if it sucks then it sucks, and I drink, have fun and enjoy some North Country time.
    This.If the backend has a decent amount of snow,even 3-6 inches,the surface underneath wont freeze solid.That snow will actually minmize the transition to cold and can actually end up having pretty good skiing if there is anything left before that occurs.I'm kidding except when refering to natural snow trails.For us Pats fan we have a backup plan anyway for Saturday night anyway.I probably wont feel too good Sunday morning either way.
    SIKSKIER

Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    This.If the backend has a decent amount of snow,even 3-6 inches,the surface underneath wont freeze solid.That snow will actually minmize the transition to cold and can actually end up having pretty good skiing if there is anything left before that occurs.I'm kidding except when refering to natural snow trails.For us Pats fan we have a backup plan anyway for Saturday night anyway.I probably wont feel too good Sunday morning either way.
    I think we might be pleasantly surprised. Looks to begin changing over before midnight with maybe 2-4" by 7am and then a couple of more before it ends. We will send 5 groomer out at midnight at LP and 3 at ME with a heavy grooming plan. If the snow comes in a planned it will mix in well as the trails are groomed. Right now we have not planned to close any trail, but the natural trails will be assessed by patrol in the morning and we could see some closings. The depth on the snowmaking trails are holding up very well but there are exposed spots on the naturals. One we see what everything looks like in the Am will put an plan together on where best to fire up the snowguns.

Go Pats! The game will be on in the bars.

snowing now finally. Hope we get at least a few inches.

Turned out worse than expected. The rain and freezing rain stayed a lot longer expected and disappointing snow total. The other surprise was the wind. Much higher than the forecast. Thus, we got off to a really slow start with windholds and icing. By 11am we had Village, the carpets, Gatehouse, North Lynx and Valley running and the lift mechanics were chipping ice of Bravo now that the wind died down. Hoping to have that running before noon. Heaven's Gate still on windhold but hopefully that will let go but the time Bravo opens. North is in worse shape with Sunny Q and Inverness open and deicing occurring on the others. Tomorrow while colder look sunny much lighter winds. We will have a heavy grooming plan and will likely winch Steins' and turn on the tower guns so that could be a pick of the days.

Quote Originally Posted by WinS View Post
    I think we might be pleasantly surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by WinS View Post
    Turned out worse than expected.
    The life of an eastern skier in two sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by Keelhauled View Post
    The life of an eastern skier in two sentences.
    And we Eastern Skiers are always optimists.

Heavy grooming plan tonight includes winching Stein's and Ripcord and grooming both Birch and Sunrise and just about all groomable trails on both sides. Will turn towers on Stein's first thing in the am and likely run some on Snowball and Spring Fling. With the cold temps and light winds and sun, I think we should have a great day. Next week's possible snow may get the naturals back open.

The Mountain team did a great job this morning. If you see a black jacket give him/her a high five. It was rough out there this morning.

No Snowmaking this morning. They must have had and issue. The good news is 0 wind. Headed out now to check it out now. Looks like Bravo is down this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    No Snowmaking this morning. They must have had and issue. The good news is 0 wind. Headed out now to check it out now. Looks like Bravo is down this morning.
    Bravo opened at 9am. They were working on an electrical issue so opened Valley House early at 8am. Snowmaking is starting. The plan was to start sometime after 9am. After a deep freeze it can take some time to thaw everything out and get the water flowing.

Took a few runs at Mt Ellen this morning on my teles for a change of pace. A nice sunny day and the conditions were pretty good given what we had Friday if a bit cold. Back home now to snowshoe with the dog. People looked to be having fun ..and the mountain needs a break.

Fair enough. Snow blowing on Steins and Bravo is running. They did a good job grooming Ripchord, North links and others also.

Thread Information