• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Jully

Just a guess, but I would assume it's because they feel they have the product priced at a level that's most profitable for them.

Let's be honest. They've got 5 high speed quads. They have to operate 9 lifts, two base areas and provide ski patrol and staffing to operate all that at minimum when fully operational. It takes a lot of revenue to do all that. You could reduce snowmaking and save some operating costs, but the price could never be workable dropping to say a Jay/Smuggs level. The decision to do that would be based on increasing volume considerably. That would result in all of that terrain skiing with less snowmaking having much poorer conditions, which ultimately would drive those volume gains away.

That is a very good point that is overlooked here. Sugarbush is substantially cheaper for an adult pass than Stowe. It is not trying to be in their price league, IMO, it is just solidly a tier below that (and still more expensive than many areas, e.g. smuggs). They go for a slightly upscale resorty feel that still has a laid back, MRV vibe. I think it is a great product for those who want that and clearly there are families and individuals alike who want that kind of resorty + natural blend. I think reducing costs isn't in the cards for them unless they do something crazy like privatize Mt. Ellen.

As you can probably tell, I'm also a Sugarbush long timer and the one other thing that SB has going for it is Mad River Glen. The Valley has so much variety to offer that I'm willing to endure the short term lack of early season terrain or snow making that might not equal Stowe's.

By the end of winter I'm usually plenty satisfied with my days on the slopes skiing incredible back and side country terrain at 3 distinctly different types of areas.

If i need an alternative there are lots of other areas in the northeast within a reasonable drive to pique my interest for a day or two.

sugarbushskier9

Can't imagine they will have any water problems judging by the amount of water flowing past Montpelier in the Winooski River. Highest I've seen it in a long time.

teleo

Today's snow report starts with "After a good snowmaking pond-filling rain last night"...

Can't believe the old joke about the rain filling the snowmaking ponds is actually real this year.

At least they have water for now. Hope they put it to good use

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

sugarbushskier9

Looks like its getting close to an inch of fresh at Heaven's Gate so far this evening. I hate how it builds up in front of the ruler, so hard to tell whats actually falling but looks like it might be near an inch.

SB.jpg

tumbler

Looking at the guage in Moretown it looks like it went up just over 2' so they were able to open the high flow intake gate which fills the pond quickly.

sugarbushskier9

I asked Win this and hopefully he will respond, but man I got excited to see 9 trails open on the snow report today. I figured with the new snowfall that something must've opened (maybe Spillsville, Ripcord, or whatever)! More terrain! Only to have my heart ripped out when I scrolled the trail listing to find 5 of the 9 trails are "open" at the mountain that "doesn't open" for another 3 weeks.

I have no problem with trails that are reserved for race training during the season but when over 50% of your open trails are somewhere that doesn't open to the public for a couple weeks...ehhh.

Anyone ski today? How was it? Have to decide Stowe or Sugarbush tomorrow.

SnowRock

Can speak to Stowe... a sloppy 6 up top today but was fun. Been pretty steady base building slop all day... looks like it's starting to change over at lower elevations as well. Today was a day where it would have been nice to have a mid mountain lift at Stowe but nonetheless good times.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I asked Win this and hopefully he will respond, but man I got excited to see 9 trails open on the snow report today. I figured with the new snowfall that something must've opened (maybe Spillsville, Ripcord, or whatever)! More terrain! Only to have my heart ripped out when I scrolled the trail listing to find 5 of the 9 trails are "open" at the mountain that "doesn't open" for another 3 weeks.

I have no problem with trails that are reserved for race training during the season but when over 50% of your open trails are somewhere that doesn't open to the public for a couple weeks...ehhh.

That is not the first time they have done things like this with their snow reporting. Maybe it is a new reporter.

hovercraft

Went to Stowe today as well. Snowrock was spot on. I would go to Stowe tomorrow as it was still snowing there most of the day. T2B beats Heaven's Gate in my book. Plus more choices on trails.

slatham

That is BS and I surprised they did that. I would hope Win corrects the error.

cdskier

That is not the first time they have done things like this with their snow reporting. Maybe it is a new reporter.

Part of me (the IT background side) wonders if the way their snow report is designed limits the options they have in terms of control over what is displayed on the report. For example maybe they simply mark the trail status on the backend reporting page and it automatically calculates the number of open trails. So if they mark a trail as "reserved for racing", the system automatically includes that in the open trail count.

Plowboy

On Wednesday the report was 8 trails on Thursday they added Panorama......WTF If the mountain is not open then those trails should not be on the trail count. They list 2 lifts not 4!! Oh yea, it is snowing at the base of ME.

bumpcrasher

Conditions today were better than anticipated and the new snow bonded well with the base. Jester was good packed powder. Grinder had some soft snow/decent bumps on skiers left but a bit more firm and scratchy in the center. Downsprout was okay.
They were making snow on Ripcord but I doubt they drop the rope on it tomorrow and Lower Rip has a long way to go. Spills looked ready to go. And oh yeah, snowing at a decent pace in the valley for past few hours.
As for Stowe vs Bush tomorrow?? I would go to Stowe.

cdskier

Almost 6" since this morning at the summit from the looks of things on the webcam. Line at Heaven's Gate looks pretty long (no surprise there though). Looks like they opened Ripcord, Spillsville, and the Paradise Extension (still don't quite understand why that trail is rated black). Guns are going all the way to the base too which is great to see. Looking forward to heading up in a couple days.

sugarbushskier9

Upslope cranking today

Yeah trying to keep up with the totals on the Snow Cam but looked like someone walked on it or something today around 9:30am.

Looked like 8" or so at 9:15am:

SB_915am.jpg

Then someone stomped it.

SB_clearing.jpg

And it restarted at the 3" mark at 9:40am:

SB_940am.jpg