• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tnt1234

I got all my eggs in the 3/17 weekend stowe/sugarbush basket. house with 4 couples in Waterbury. ski stowe saturday. a special tasting at hill farmstead arranged for my buddy's bday (him and his girlfriend are regulars up there, and she contacted shawn hill who agreed to release a couple of bottles from his personal collection for us to consume on site) for Saturday afternoon, hen of the wood Waterbury for Saturday night, sugarbush ski sunday. classssssyyyyyy
sounds killer!

cdskier

Given everything that's gone on in the last week, today was overall a pretty great day skiing! Win, I'm really happy you let Gerry put up the beer/pizza pavilion in the garden space -- that was a lot of fun in a great location. Can't wait to hang out there when seasonally-appropriate Spring skiing starts!

As much as I enjoyed the soft spring bumps forming on trails like Stein's and Spring Fling on Saturday...I'd still prefer not to ski that in February! It was pretty amazing how absolutely different the mountain was depending on elevation. Winter up top and spring down low...

Now let's bring on the snow and save the rest of this spring skiing stuff for late April!

tumbler

Despite the weather challenges we had a really nice week. The beginning Sat-Mon were awesome, new snow and everything in play. Sad watching everything melt Tues-Wed but Wed was fun spring day. Thurs was a good day off after taking a few runs. Groomers did a nice job bringing what had snow back to life for Fri-Sun. Good call on the delayed openings and letting them take their time and do a nice slow groom. Snow sacrifices have started for the end of the week...

tumbler

Given everything that's gone on in the last week, today was overall a pretty great day skiing! Win, I'm really happy you let Gerry put up the beer/pizza pavilion in the garden space -- that was a lot of fun in a great location. Can't wait to hang out there when seasonally-appropriate Spring skiing starts!

I did also like the new Plaza Bar but the guy running it, not Gerry, couldn't have been more unhappy. Not really the vibe you are looking for.

tumbler

I did also like the new Plaza Bar but the guy running it, not Gerry, couldn't have been more unhappy. Not really the vibe you are looking for.

WinS

Despite the weather challenges we had a really nice week. The beginning Sat-Mon were awesome, new snow and everything in play. Sad watching everything melt Tues-Wed but Wed was fun spring day. Thurs was a good day off after taking a few runs. Groomers did a nice job bringing what had snow back to life for Fri-Sun. Good call on the delayed openings and letting them take their time and do a nice slow groom. Snow sacrifices have started for the end of the week...

Thanks for the comment. The team has worked extra hard this winter. Getting down the early amount of snowmaking we did has given us good depth to work with and the grooming team has really performed great. Fortunately, the night temps this week are dipping into the 20's so they will be able to keep it skiing well until we can get some normal March weather. Looks like the month will come in like a lamb so it should go out like a lion as it did last year.

WJenness

I got all my eggs in the 3/17 weekend stowe/sugarbush basket. house with 4 couples in Waterbury. ski stowe saturday. a special tasting at hill farmstead arranged for my buddy's bday (him and his girlfriend are regulars up there, and she contacted shawn hill who agreed to release a couple of bottles from his personal collection for us to consume on site) for Saturday afternoon, hen of the wood Waterbury for Saturday night, sugarbush ski sunday. classssssyyyyyy

Sounds great...

Working on a similar weekend up there for my birthday (Mine is the 16th).

Maybe I should crash your party! :razz:

Orca

Generally, I don't direct any of my posts to Win as a courtesy to the fact that he really does not owe any answers to us, the forum community. This is an exception!

Win, have you considered a Sugarbush + MRG pass product? Could that be worked? I'd image that myself and others would pay quite well (maybe $1300, say) for the product. It seems like a logical extension to the multi-area passes (e.g. IKON and others) that are becoming prevalent, only it would be of the "buy local" variety that seems to suit the Vermont ethos. Any thoughts?

Orca

Eh? Sugarbush already "kicked it up a notch" with 3 new lifts in the past few years and we already have the RFID implemented as well. About time K did some upgrades and installed new lifts...

Hurray for RFID! I love not having the irritation of the scanners pawing at my pass as the scan gun repeatedly fails to recognize the bar code. Huge improvement. Thank you again, Sugarbush.

CD, you went right to a kind of defensive comparison with Sugarbush on the Killington improvements. I was just posting news that I thought would be of interest to Vermont skiers. But as such, your assertion that Sugarbush has already kicked it up with new lifts is a little thin. Sugarbush put in new lifts because its hand was forced by the decrepitude of the antecedent lifts. I love the new Valley House lift, but quite honestly it was three to five years late in coming. The other two lifts were replaced on the insistence of the director of operations (to paraphrase Win's words), likely due to liability concerns. All these new lifts are good things, but they were practically compulsory because there was little option to defer their installation.

cdskier

Hurray for RFID! I love not having the irritation of the scanners pawing at my pass as the scan gun repeatedly fails to recognize the bar code. Huge improvement. Thank you again, Sugarbush.

CD, you went right to a kind of defensive comparison with Sugarbush on the Killington improvements. I was just posting news that I thought would be of interest to Vermont skiers. But as such, your assertion that Sugarbush has already kicked it up with new lifts is a little thin. Sugarbush put in new lifts because its hand was forced by the decrepitude of the antecedent lifts. I love the new Valley House lift, but quite honestly it was three to five years late in coming. The other two lifts were replaced on the insistence of the director of operations (to paraphrase Win's words), likely due to liability concerns. All these new lifts are good things, but they were practically compulsory because there was little option to defer their installation.

I took your post mentioning K's improvements within the SB thread as an implication that SB needs to do more. If that was not your intention, sorry. I just don't otherwise see the relevance of mentioning what K is doing in the Sugarbush thread. There's already an entire thread dedicated to K's improvements.

I'm not knocking K's improvements by any means and think they are great for them (with the exception of the bubble chair as I'm very anti-bubble). However I also I think you can also make a lot of the same arguments that some of K's improvements are out of necessity and honestly quite overdue (not having a south ridge chair for something like 6 years was a huge oversight imo).

djd66

As far further investment in Sugarbush- would be great to see them pump some real money into the Shark and how about an outdoor skating rink? This would be short money to install and would give guests an option when the skiing is not so good. All the other major resorts have put money into mtns with additions like this. Sugarbush does not need to be Jay peak, but a few other options would be nice.

cdskier

As far further investment in Sugarbush- would be great to see them pump some real money into the Shark and how about an outdoor skating rink? This would be short money to install and would give guests an option when the skiing is not so good. All the other major resorts have put money into mtns with additions like this. Sugarbush does not need to be Jay peak, but a few other options would be nice.

There's already a skating rink in Waitsfield. Not sure I agree with adding competition to a local place. And I don't know that there's enough demand to support 2 rinks in the MRV.

rocks860

I think sugarbush is fine the way it is. I personally don’t ever want to see it turn into someplace like killington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheArchitect

I think sugarbush is fine the way it is. I personally don’t ever want to see it turn into someplace like killington.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't agree more. I love the vibe at Sugarbush. It's hard to describe but to me it just feels more like a 'hardcore' skiers area (think MRG on steroids) and all that other fluff doesn't matter.

benski

There's already a skating rink in Waitsfield. Not sure I agree with adding competition to a local place. And I don't know that there's enough demand to support 2 rinks in the MRV.

That rink looks a little decrepit. The MRV could certainly use a new rink.

Orca

I think sugarbush is fine the way it is. I personally don’t ever want to see it turn into someplace like killington

Amen, bro. I doubt anyone wants Sugarbush to turn into Killington. I actually haven't skied Killington since the early '80s. That's real.

ducky

Last time I skied K (mid-90s) I got knocked over by a guy wearing jeans and a Jets jacket who came in too hot to the lift line. Minutes later, riding up the Outer Limits lift at around 11:00, I looked down to see a nearly-full bottle of Johnny Walker Black lying upright in the snow. Maybe the Jets guy was in a hurry to retrieve it. I always wondered why someone who drinks scotch in the am while skiing bothers with a more expensive top-shelf brand. Guess the 100 proof was in order.

ThinkSnow

I took your post mentioning K's improvements within the SB thread as an implication that SB needs to do more. If that was not your intention, sorry. I just don't otherwise see the relevance of mentioning what K is doing in the Sugarbush thread.

I'm not knocking K's improvements by any means and think they are great for them (with the exception of the bubble chair as I'm very anti-bubble). However I also I think you can also make a lot of the same arguments that some of K's improvements are out of necessity and honestly quite overdue (not having a south ridge chair for something like 6 years was a huge oversight imo).
+1. Kmart skiers are also very different from SB skiers.