• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

So the snow report has been saying snowmaking all week but on the trail report nothing is marked as snowmaking. Have they been making snow to resurface or was it just Steins for spring depth?

cdskier

The groomed runs skied decently well this weekend as long as you were there early...that's about the best I can offer at the moment given the weather we've had.

Orca

Rocks860: On the positive side, Sugarbush is managing a bad hand from the weather pretty well. Some might say not enough snow is being made to compensate for the ugly rains; however, we know Sugarbush is built on a model of less man-made and more natural snow than places like Sunday River or Mount Snow. Unfortunately, all the natural snow trails are in bad shape and rightly closed. And tomorrow's rain is likely to worsen the situation, with little to no snow in the immediate forecast. On the plus side, the snowmaking trails have been decent. I think grooming efforts have improved this year, resulting in better groomer runs.

Hawk

Well the Grift is playing the Castlerock Pub on Saturday night. That's always a blast. With the warm and R*&% this week it looks like we will be down to dirt from mid mountain down and mostly dirt above. We will be down to snowmaking trails only for the foreseeable future. But any day of skiing is better than staying home. I always look forward to hanging with our community at Castlerock, house parties or even the Hydeaway or Mad River barn. Always a reason to come up. As everyone here knows I do not hold the same level of regard for the conditions we have this year. I came from a place that does a far superior job and I am jaded in that regard. But overwhelmingly, I find that my experience with the community and the natural snow is why I will stay and keep coming back.

rocks860

Well the Grift is playing the Castlerock Pub on Saturday night. That's always a blast. With the warm and R*&% this week it looks like we will be down to dirt from mid mountain down and mostly dirt above. We will be down to snowmaking trails only for the foreseeable future. But any day of skiing is better than staying home. I always look forward to hanging with our community at Castlerock, house parties or even the Hydeaway or Mad River barn. Always a reason to come up. As everyone here knows I do not hold the same level of regard for the conditions we have this year. I came from a place that does a far superior job and I am jaded in that regard. But overwhelmingly, I find that my experience with the community and the natural snow is why I will stay and keep coming back.

Oh yeah no matter what I’ll have a good time up there, just rather disappointed in the situation as I traded the week we normally have at eagles (last week of March) for this week. Love the mad river valley, was just hoping to get some skiing in while I was there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bumpcrasher

I hear ya Hawk!! We have started a support group of depressed skiers, if you care to join. Our first meeting is now at The Grift this Saturday night!!

We can discuss the pros/cons of snowmaking, grooming, etc. However, I think we are just stuck with the hand we have been dealt by Ma Nature.

I'm trying to be optimistic! Law of averages means if Sugarbush normally gets ~250 inches a year and we are currently at 66, then we are in for a wallop starting in about 10 days through April?

I know, I know, I'm hoping I'm not jinxing anything, but cmon, this is ridiculous!

rocks860

Certainly was last year, I got very lucky being there for that crazy storm

cdskier

Certainly was last year, I got very lucky being there for that crazy storm

Even if March isn't always the snowiest month (often it is right up there though), you still by that point have the advantage of theoretically the deepest bases of the season to help mitigate any potential lack of fresh snow.

rocks860

Even if March isn't always the snowiest month (often it is right up there though), you still by that point have the advantage of theoretically the deepest bases of the season to help mitigate any potential lack of fresh snow.

I’m sure I’ll get up there at least once more this season just feels real crappy wasting an entire week. Last year would have been dismal without that storm, I went up on Saturday and didn’t even ski until Tuesday because it wasn’t worth it

djd66

I’m sure I’ll get up there at least once more this season just feels real crappy wasting an entire week. Last year would have been dismal without that storm, I went up on Saturday and didn’t even ski until Tuesday because it wasn’t worth it

If you have the flexibility and you are taking a week off to ski - - you should hop on a plane and go somewhere that has snow. Looking at the radar and web cams, it seems pretty dismal.

Lets hope the law of averages plays out for the second half of the season.

rocks860

If you have the flexibility and you are taking a week off to ski - - you should hop on a plane and go somewhere that has snow. Looking at the radar and web cams, it seems pretty dismal.

Lets hope the law of averages plays out for the second half of the season.

My family has a week at a timeshare there so it’s not really an option to go somewhere else as the lodging is already paid for. Like I said I enjoy just being up there so I’m not too concerned but I’d like to actually ski. A few years ago I was up in March and by the middle of the week it was 70 degrees, still had fun though

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Today was actually a lot of fun on "hero snow". Yes, it r@!#ed but temps stayed in the 30s for the most part and we probably walked away with little depth damage, unlike last week when it was 60 deg, pouring rain, and fog. We're going back into the freezer starting tomorrow for a few days, so things will be firm again.

rocks860

Today was actually a lot of fun on "hero snow". Yes, it r@!#ed but temps stayed in the 30s for the most part and we probably walked away with little depth damage, unlike last week when it was 60 deg, pouring rain, and fog. We're going back into the freezer starting tomorrow for a few days, so things will be firm again.

Well that makes me feel a bit better

cdskier

Hey Shady. Turn on the guns.

Looks like they turned on at least a few. Snow blowing from a gun is visible in the HG webcam. If the trail report is accurate, it shows snowmaking on 3 trails (DS, Birdland, and Pushover chute...the last one being a bit of an odd one since that's really not a key trail by any means)

ducky

Anyone else having trouble posting here? I am being told must be reviewed by admin first.

Anyway, skied a few runs today and was not awful. Better on the GH side and more days' grooming wil help. Some snow coming Sun/Mon.
Telemark World Cup is today through Friday on SF and they seem to be doing just fine.

Very little snow loss from yesterday. The sleet from Monday night set a layer that prevented too much melt.